Definitive Technology ProCinema 80 Floorstanding Speakers

4.81/5 (43 Reviews) MSRP : $999.00

4 ProMonitor 80 speakers, a ProCenter 100 and a ProSub 80

Submitted by Gombi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2004

Bottom Line:
First of all the price was for a pair. I purchased these for my surrounds. After spending most of my money on the front mains and the center channel I decided to go cheaper on the surrounds but that doesn't mean that these little cuties can't hold their own. First of all, here you will find an aluminum tweeter in a hundred dollar speaker, that's very uncommon. Second, Def Tech made sure that if they made an incursion in the Sat/Sub Market (small is better)they were going in with a quality product and they did. Finally, the price. Come on, you can't get performance like from speakers costing twice as much. If you are looking for a small package that delivers tower-like sound then look no further. As an experiment, I connected these speakers to my sub and used them as main temporarily and all I can say is wow. The detail and clarity of the music was truly amazing so were movie effects. They sound like speakers ten times their size, I kid you not. These little speakers fit anywhere and their construction is solid so you know that you will enjoy these for a long time. In all honesty the best investment I have ever made.

Purchased At:   Pecar's

Submitted by brad wilson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
i did a lot of research on trying to find the perfect micro/sat system.i read every review on just about everything in this class.just like about everyone else here i wanted great full range sound that only a tower speaker can give.my wife, she wanted the smallest speaker that man made.of course, she really liked the bose cubes.they look cute.but when it come down to what i wanted and what she wanted, we came to one system.and this was after we listened to everything else in it's class. boston, bose, energy, klipsch, mirage.the pro 80's are the only small micro/sat system that has a great warm midrange, detailed highs and a scary low end with the pro sub 200tl.i have them hooked to a nad 762 reciever and they can handle every bit of power it has to offer.the boston 9500 system is'nt to bad but it's a little to bright compared to the def tech's.if you want a full, warm, detailed small speaker system that looks great mounted on your wall..look no farther than this system.it is hands down the best in it's class..trust me i'v listened to them all.

Purchased At:   hifi buys nashville

Submitted by HT Enthu from Dubai a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
Good speakers.

My ht is
ProCinema 100 Front (i wish i had more money for the 200s)
Procenter C2 (no compromise)
Procinema 80 rear
Pro 100 sub
on a denon 1802.

Recomended.

Purchased At:   dubai

Submitted by Deano a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
I listened to many speaker systems including the mks K5s & K9s all worked well but i found the Def tecs excellent & at £400 cheaper than the MK5s.

Purchased At:   Rayleigh hi fi

Submitted by Brad_Porter a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
When going to my bank account and finding that I only had enough money to purchase the Def Tech Pro Cinema 80, I was a little disappointed as I really wanted the B+K series to compliment my listening tastes. However, wallets are as wallets are and that means tight, so a purchase of the Def Tech ProCinema80 was made.

Set up was nice and easy with myself trying both the high level (front speaker connection via ProSub80) and low level (speakers connected to the amp and ProSub via phono cables) connection types. My preferred type is usually low level but these speakers seem to play a little more smoothly on high level. Strange but true and not everyone will agree.

The ProSub80 is a real beast to place and this little 250Watt sub can sound rather boomy and 'wrong' if misplaced. I must state that ported units (ones with a hole in to me and you) do have a tendency to sound a little less tonally correct rather then sealed units. The ProSub80 has the same issue and correct placement of the unit, the crossover and the volume are vital. Actually replacing the plastic feet with speaker spikes is the first decent upgrade that should be performed. Those of you with wooden floorboards will also need to pop down to the garden center and get a slab of slate. This unit needs to be grounded and tightened! Can’t stress this anymore.

I have a SONY STRDB-940 as my reference amp a SONT DVD-725 as my reference DVD-Player. I stood by with my reference disc of Phantom Menace and James Bond: Tomorrow Never Dies.

Both discs performed well on the system with the pod race in Phantom Menace sounding rather good. Excellent in fact. All the time spent on the ProSusb80's set-up was not in vein. The crossovers from front to back surrounds were fabulous with no notable tonal differences. Once again, the gain set on the back surround speakers (as they are usually closer) needs to be fine-tuned to make sure that they don’t 'out-volume' the fronts.

The bike chase scene in Tomorrow Never Dies also stood up for itself and was dynamically wonderful to listen too.

Speech sounds clear and precise on the ProCenter100 but please remember to isolate the speaker if sitting on top of a large widescreen television. Big TV's really resonated with the sound of a badly mounted center speaker and can play havoc with the quality of speech.

Purchased At:   Rayleigh Hi-Fi, Chel