Definitive Technology BP7004 Floorstanding Speakers

• Two 10'' passive radiators
  • Nominal impedance 8 ohms
  • Sensitivity 92dB
  • Recommended amplifier power 20-300Wpc
  • Dimensions 6.6'' x 42.25'' x 13''

Submitted by sam4022 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2008

Bottom Line:
Short & Sweet. My first real speakers was a pair of KLH17s hooked to a Fisher 220 receiver and a Garrard Lab 80 TT. So I go back a few years.

Until recently our primary objective was movies so we had a very nice set of PSBs with an Advent Sub 12. Since an early retirement I began listening to some old vinyl but the PSBs and monster sub while great for movies, just didn't cut it.

After about a dozen auditions we reduced our choices to either Vandersteen 2Cs or the DefTech 7004s. Listening to Jazz Samba (Stan Getz / Charlie Byrd), The Eagles Hotel California (Hell Freezes Over in DTS), Manha De Carnaval (Susannah McCorkle) and The Canadian Brass (Tuba Polka - best musical bass test ever) the DefTech had the most consistent clean open sound and smooth deep base I've ever experienced.

These speakers are so enjoyable I just added a set of DefTech BP6Bs, cheaper and better than the standard DetTech surrounds, on the rear channel. I've been listening to and buying speakers for a long time and I rate the 7004s as the best ever.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by chessnut a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2008

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair of these awesome speakers as my Christmas present last year. I have BP 8 Bs for front and rear duties initially with a pair of SM 350 for surround back, along with CLR 2002 as center and a yamaha sub. I'm using a Pioneer Elite VSX 84 TSxi receiver with a Sunfire TGA 7400 power amp. this system previously sounded great as it is but got the upgrade bug when I opted for the powered towers for the front speakers replacing a pair of the BP 8 Bs. I'm now using my yamaha sub added to the center channel, so it's running full range too. What an improvement!!!! I just love these babies. I found the improvement on the low end, it just sounded deeper and tighter, and the treble was airy.. er. I'm a big fan of SACDs and DVDAs, I'm using Pioneer Elite DV 79 AVi via firewire and all my collections sounds new to me all over again. Hats off to Definitive Tech for making awesome speakers with real world prices. My next upgrade bug.... Yamaha RX Z11, 11.2 ch receiver + a pair of DTs BP 7002 + a pair of BP VX and the Pioneer Elite BDP 94 HD.

Purchased At:   6th Ave electronics

Submitted by queherb a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2008

Bottom Line:
We have owned these speakers for 6 months. They are the best sounding speakers I've ever owned.I mainly listen to 2 channel stereo and these speakers sound incredible with Hip Hop, R&B, Jazz and Lite Rock. The lows are tight and deep. The mids are clear and the highs are warm and revealing. We hear nuances in music that was previously missing .These speakers are connected to a Pioneer elite txi55 receiver and rotel power amp.I let the speakers play for the recommended time before doing any critical listening. I was initially concerned about placement of the speakers because we only had 18 inches of space on each side of our entertainment center and the side wall. The speakers are 2 feet from the rear wall.In the 18inch space, the def techs are toed in between 30-45 degress. The speakers are 10 feet apart. All I can say is the music and movie experience has been a joy. I have found my love for music again with the 7004. I also noticed the small movements of the speakers change some tonal qualities.(speakers straight and the speakers sound warmer and more enveloping.Toed in they sound more precise and a little brghter.)I am glad we did not go wall to wall withe the built in home entertainment unit .Experiment and be rewared with the sound you thought your equipment could produce!!!! It won't take alot of experimentation to get these setup properly .p.s I only had 18 inches on each side.

Purchased At:   best Buy Magnolia

Submitted by uhuhuh a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2007

Bottom Line:
Listened to all 3 in the product line, 7002, 7004, 7006. All three sounded amazing, 7006's were a bit small for the size of my theater room (12.5' x 28' x 15' height) and the 7002's were just a bit out of my price range, so I went with the 7004's. Unpackaged, hooked up and was listening to music and watching Spiderman 3 in no time. The bipolar design breathes new life to my system, the added dimension is truly amazing. I listen to a wide range of rock and reggae music and everything sounds incredible. I run a 7.1 setup consisting of a Denon 3808ci receiver, an Infinity 12' sub, and Polk center & surrounds. The 7004's have considerable bass on their own, and in smaller rooms should be sufficient by themselves, but the added stand-alone sub in a large room fills out the sound nicely. From what I understand, there is a suggested break-in period, but they sound amazing out of the box. If you have the $$, give them a listen.

Purchased At:   newyorkwholesaleaudi

Submitted by AndrewMICK a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2006

Bottom Line:
Well I've had these a while and they just better as each day passes, over Thanksgiving I left them on to break in, WOW! Like the dude said before me what a huge difference, so deep and clear. Anything you listen to is properly reproduced from movies and Beethoven's Symphonies. Absolutely stunning, BTW don't waste your time with Martin Logan, who wants to sit in one spot to listen?? Get Deftecs, also these speakers are a REAL full range speaker, all the way up and all the way down, way down. They don't joke when people say customers love their speakers, I know I do.

Purchased At:   Best Buy Employee