Definitive Technology BP 6B Floorstanding Speakers

4.47/5 (36 Reviews) MSRP : $399.00

• Store Promotions Shipping Price

These full-range bipolar (front and rear) radiating systems combine the lush spacious soundstaging, lifelike depth-of-field, razor-sharp resolution and pinpoint imaging of the finest dipolar panel loudspeakers with the extended bass response, high-efficiency, wide dynamic range and easy-to-position convenience of the best conventional box systems.

Submitted by Avinash Bhaskare a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2009

Bottom Line:
I purchased these speakers to replace JBM N38 front I have with Denon AVR1800. The JBL started sounding muddy and got low on the highs.
These are awesome. The drums sound very real, Tremendous bass and very clean highs.
I also compared them with Paradigm Phantom V3 and these seem to have more bass and highs.
The Paradigm were also very good, these are slightly better.
The cabinets are sturdy, black glazed finish is very good.
I did figure out the problem with JBLs - the screws holding the drivers had come loose. Used an allen key to tighten them and the bass is good, still missing on the highs with JBL.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by sabah a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2007

Bottom Line:
when i played the speakers with my yamaha DSP-A2, i thought that yamaha is bad,
the sound was so harsh, because room was not isolated, i did isolate the room but still the sound not good, at that time what i need is just high sound level no matter what is the quality of the sound.

Purchased At:   al-yusifi

Submitted by pablo chicago a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2007

Bottom Line:
A very good option for entry/midlevel home theater applications.

I have had my set of BP6's for over 7 years as front/main speakers, and they have served me very well. They blew away Klipsch, psb and polks at a similar price level.

I am upgrading my entire system now and the towers will not work in the new design. I can tell you that friends of mine who have spent much more on Mirage, PSB and others are consistently impressed with the sound from my system which is driven by a 10 year old Harmon Kardon receiver.

All of that being said, I believe that there are some trade off's with the bi-polar design and the DT product. For HT applications, I think they are very good, but I would tend to agree that for music, I find the highs exagerated and there is a mechanical or highly technical sound at times which I do not find wonderful. Nevertheless the overall sound is solid for a multipurpose system. As a point of reference, I would say that the DT's and probably bipolar designs in general, have some sound charateristics in common with Bose systems. Bose sounds striking especially with demo tapes and action movies, but for music, I find the sound harsh and overdone. DT's suffer from a bit of the same.

Again, I think these are a great value that can probably be had for about $500 a pair

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by Pablo a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2007

Bottom Line:
I am actually looking to replace by BP6's after about 7 years. The speakers have served me very well. When making the original purchase decision, the DT's blew away the JBL, Klipsch, Infinity and Polks that were in a similar price range. At this point I am upgrading my entire system, and when looking at some options on audio review, I decided to contribute my experience with the BP6's.

Friends who have spent many times what I did on the BP6's on mirage and polks have commented about how great my system sounds and this is with a 10 year old Harmon amp. I was told years ago that if you push your budget on anything - it should be on speakers, as they make the biggest difference, and I have found that to be true. The BP6's offer a solid value, especially for HT. I would tend to agree with other reviewers that for music, I have found that the BP6's are not ideal. Dont get me wrong, their sound is very good, but I belive that the bi-polar design does sound a bit artificial and overhighlights some highs and lows. This is ofcourse a personal opinion. In my view, bose suffers to the extreme from this "artificial" sound. Bose sounds impressive at first, especially with demo recordings, but sounds overly technical and un-natural to me. DT is not as extreme, but I am trying to give some perspective and comparison for my opinion of the DT sound. For a multipurpose application, both movies and music, I think that the BP6 are a solid choice, but the more you favor music, you might fade away from DT and perhaps bipolar design in general.

I applaud DT for the BP6 as they offer a lot of speaker for about $300 a piece. I recommend them for someone looking for a mid-priced, entry level speaker.

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by DefinitiveSid a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2005

Bottom Line:
The Definitive Tech BP6B was the product that pushed me over to the Definitive Tech side, so to speak. I originally had the Polk Audio RTi70, and I brought this speaker home as an alternative to its spot. And it prevailed obviously.

However, it does had it flaws, which led me to upgrade. Before I address its strengths and flaws, I would like to introduce you to the speaker itself and it's build quality.

The BP6B stands almost at 32" tall, its side panels are 3/4" Particle board, with 1" Medite front and back panels. The top and bottom are 1/2" particle board. The internal portion of the cabinet has a brace midway, this helps damp resonances in the middle portion of the cabinet, but the resonances in the top portion are absolutely out of this world. This definetely probally colors the sound a bit.

The speaker sports DT's normal, grill sock and caps.

Now on to the sound. The strengths of this speaker is the midrange is clear, most of the time, sometimes the bass becomes way to eager and starts to distort it. It is a very bass heavy speaker, that is for sure.

Now, although the midrange it is clear, it is over-pronounced in the higher range. Kind of exagerates things just a tad.

Although Definitive uses the same tweeters between all their speakers (7000 series aside). The BP6B tweeter is indeed different from the BP8B and BP10B. The magnet is half the size. Either the tweeter differences changes the sound, or the crossover does - but this tweeter can be very hash at times. It is definetely not as smooth as its bigger brother the BP10B.

So definetely, it has its faults in the mids and highs, but at the same time - they remain relatively clean at the same time.

The soundstage on the 6B is fairly wide, dosn't quite have the depth or height as its bigger brother, but still bigger than some speakers out there.

It's forte isn't music, with the pronounced midrange - it tends to exagerate instruments such as the guitar, which may be some peoples ideal sound. But to me it just dosn't sound natural. The top end, although detailed - as I said does indeed get harsh. Which for music can tend to make your aggrivated after a while. Definetely just isn't the first choice for critical listening for extended periods of time.

Now, its forte is definetely MOVIES. That pronounced midrange and high end leads to a very involving movie experience when paired with a nice center channel. Things in a movie come in loud and clear, and its amazing bass response adds alot to the movie.

So basically, if you are trying to put together a HT first setup, this may be your best choice really, it does theater like no other. It would also fair well in a HT as surrounds paired with its bigger brothers.

Overall, this is a decent value - not quite worth its asking price - but definetely holds a place in the line up and provides people looking for a nice clear HT with a good set of speakers backed by a solid company.

I recomend it to those doing a HT first system and are just starting out.

I hope this review proves helpful.

Purchased At:   Sound Systems

Definitive BP 6B/8B/10B series as rear surrounds?

Hi all -- I recently purchased two Def Tech BP7006's to use as my front speakers and a c/l/r 2002 to use as my center for my HT setup. I was going to buy something from the BPX series to use as my rear surrounds, but I'm seeing a lot of the BP6B/8B/10B towers on ebay, and, wisdom of purchasing s ... Read More »