Definitive Technology BP7002
Description: <ul> <li>Dimensions: 7-1/4" W x 16" D x 46-1/4" H</li> <li>Freq. Response: 15 Hz — 30 kHz</li> <li>Nominal Impedance: Compatible with 8 ohms</li> <li>Rec. Assoc. Amp.: 20 — 400 watts/channel</li> <li>Driver Complement: Four 5-1/4" high definition cast-magnesium basket polymer upper bass/midrange drivers</li> <li>Two 1" pure aluminum dome tweeters with silk surrounds</li> <li>One 12" long-throw subwoofer coupled to two 12" infrasonic radiators</li> <li>Efficiency: 92 dB</li> </ul>

Submitted by Joseph - Pa a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2011

Bottom Line:
I auditioned many speakers. I easily eliminated many from consideration, knowing for many years, Folks want them merely due to extensive marketing. Listening to friends with those 'designer' speakers...invariably my question to them is are you deaf? I also listened to the competition in several outlets hooked up to different sources and equipment - sorry they do NOT sound right. I knew I was correct in my decision to AVOID those popular speakers...when I caught the employee boosting the 'tone controls' to make them sound good. With good equipment the tone controls needn't be used othrwise you are changing the music as performed.
Anyway, based on certain criteria I chose the Definitive Technology BP7004 - didn't buy the 7002 as my room is a bit small for them.
Listening to music through these speakers - I was surprised at what I NEVER heard before from CDs I've listened to for many years. The clarity is astounding. Having not one but two sub woofers is fantastic.
I've always questioned why the other brands seemed to build speakers with the bass 'lacking' and why they build 2-way speakers. 2-way???? with voice being a major portion of music-
having a mid-range speaker is an absolute must. STOP, stop don't tell me the mid-range can be rendere with a tweeter and a mid-woofer.
And they reduced the effectiveness of the low end JUST to assure YOU buy one of their expensive sub woofers.
Definitive gave their designs a lot of thought - gave us something to rave about.

And Yes, Chet knows customer service. I had an issue which He assisted me with. The manager of the store I purchased them from gave me the run around.

Submitted by dcbradshaw a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2011

Bottom Line:
Let me start at the beginning, a few years ago i started my home theater career by purchasing the Bose 5.1 box set from best buy, i was told they sound amazing so i went to best buy and purchased it, after 4 years of thinking i had a great system i noticed best buy integrated magnolia into the store, i checked it out and boy oh boy did i feel like a little kid after i listened to the Definitive Technology stuff!! i went home and put my Bose on Craigslist and sold them the next day, i found a guy selling the older BP2002TL's and snagged them for super cheap, i then got a pair of BPX's for Left/Right surround, C/L/R 2300 for the center and a pair of Studio monitor 350's for the rear surrounds all on ebay for the price i sold the Bose for, i thought i was the BeezNeez until i went back into best buy and found that they discontinued the BP7002 towers, i got the display models on a sunday after black friday for get this $475.00 plus tax for the pair!!!!! i had to replace the binding post on one but that was an easy fix, just had to call Deftec and order it for free, super customer service by the way, Chet is the man, anyway, i took the BP7002's home and hooked them up as my mains, i hooked up the BP2002tl's as my rear surrounds, i then sold my Studio Monitor 350's and C/L/R 2300 and got the C/L/R 2500 to match the mid bass drivers, i then got a second pair of BPX's for my height speakers, so after all of this buy and sell stuff my home theater now looks like this......front left and right BP7002, center C/L/R2500, left and right surround BPX, rear surround BP2002tl, front height BPX, i am running all of this with an onkyo tx nr5008 9.2 channel receiver, to sum it all up Definitive makes by far the best speakers out there for home theater in that price range, they also sound great with music, the detail in which these speakers provide is astonishing, they will fill a large room with sound that will make you think that you are in the movie or in the front row of a concert, you can sit anywhere in the room and still have the same sound quality that you would get if you were in the sweet spot of the set up, i read all of these reviews about how Def Tec speakers can't hang with the high end two channel speakers that cost the same or much much more and i say BOO! these speakers will make the hair on the back of your neck raise up, i watched Avatar on blu ray and decided words could not explain my experience, yes my receiver is not even close to what these speakers can handle power wise(145 watts per channel @ 8ohms) but it does make them sing, my neighbors hate me and my friends love me, just remember the name Definitive Technology the next time you go shopping for speakers, do not be shy and listen to them at low volume for they are not fragile by any means, turn them up and close your eyes, you will be amazed, this is my humble opinion so take it as you will.

Submitted by RISound a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2010

Bottom Line:
Now is a great time to look for the 7002s as Definitive Technology has added a new line and Best Buy is discounting, plus up to 3 years financing at no interest.
This began when a dear friend rewarded me with the gift of a Def Tec center CDC 2500 for setting up her system. (Yeah, I'm a lucky guy.) I paired that with my Mirage 7.1 surround system and Denon 2307CI. Sound was vastly improved by the new center. I then found a pair of Demo Gem 6s and stands at 1/2 price. And finally my favorite place on earth, Best Buy, put a barely demo'd pair of Def Tec BP7002s for 1/2 price, and matched bipolar rears for 1/2 price as well. Fortunately they had a returned Pioneer Elite VSX-33 for $100 off and that brought everything together. (I also use a 1999 era 700 Watt Yamaha home theatre receiver for Zone 2.) The sound? The dream system I've always imagined. Blueray movies sound as though you were in the movie; Bluray concerts as well. These front speakers each carry a built-in AC 300 Watt sub; center 150 Watt. (You have to plug them into a wall socket) But setup is easy. The Def Tecs have built in cross-overs, so you don't have to use the sub out from the receiver, and the sound is perfect. I recently had a friend over for a test run. I joked that I would tape the windows for safety. We ran through the latest Casino Royale film, Eagles HD DVD, Michael Jackson This is it, (Blueray), which knows how to fully use this system, Chris Botti, (Bluray), and more. My friend kept repeating, "This sounds incredible." In summary, the sound is accurate, encompasing, and at studio grade.

Submitted by Nash Hunter a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2008

Bottom Line:
over the years I heard my far shear of surround sound systems and I thought I heard them all... that is till A friend of my'ne got a pair of these speakers.At the time he had a pioneer 5.1 system in his living room and it was ok but once he had these installed and hooked up everything changed.Soon he was back on line looking for match parts to go with them and after sinking over 7,000.00 grand he has without a dought the best sounding system in alabama.Cheak this out: up front he has a Emotiva MMc-1 A/V signal processor routing all his signals and running the audio channels into a Emotiva Xpa-5 500-w 5 ch. audio power amp.From here power goes into the BP7002s while the rest goes to a matching C/C/R3000 front center speaker and two BPVX/P rear surround speakers.Each speaker has a self powered subwoofer(yes even the center speaker) and together thay shake his home like crazy and make any sound coming thru them come to life( even TV signals).Ovcource he added a Supercube Trinity signature series 15-in. sub for the $^&( of it even thu he really didn't need to.in the end he may have ticed off he wife something bad but he has the ultamite sound system case closed.

Purchased At:   on line

Submitted by Art K. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2007

Bottom Line:
I bought the pair used as demos for $ 1000, best investment I ever made. I listened to this pair when they were first brought out of the box a few months before they were sold as demos. Out of the box they were great but just kept getting better as time went on. I've always listened to them with my own CDs so I knew how well they performed compared to the other brands of speakers they had in the store. They were open, clarity was exceptional as well as their pinpoint imaging. Bass was superbly blended with the mids and highs. Treble sounded silky smooth even tho they had metal tweeters. I was hesitant to buy the 7002s because of the review I read that stated these speakers needed room to perform but when the store put them up on sale, I decided to go for it. I have them set up in a 11'x 18' x 9.5' room, 7.1ch configuration along with a pair of 7004s for the sides and BPVX for rears. I use a CLR 2002 with a Supercube II for center ch duties.Control and amplification are from Emotiva, dvd by Pioneer Elite, power protection, stabilizer and back up from Furman. These speakers are awesome, they place you in the action or brings you in the audience when watching concerts. I applaud Definitive Tech. for producing quality speakers at an affordable price.

Purchased At:   6th Ave Electronics