Dali 102

Submitted by dk_allan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2005

Bottom Line:
Everything taken into consideration these speakers are a truly bargain!

For several years I found myself looking for "that sound". At the time being I didn't know what "that sound" actually meant to me.

I went from some crap Sony speakers to Jamo Classic 8 to the highly praised QLN 601's.

In the process I learned that the NAD 524 together with a good amp and good cables produced a more and more higly resoluted sound image, more controlled and responsive bass.. but something was just not perfect..

Somehow the sound image I got was detailed yet I/my ears got tired listening after very short period of time.

Beeing the perfectionistic kind of person I am i kept looking and looking (buying and buying more and more speakers).

Then one day I meet this wonderful girl and got to know her quite a lot. She had this system with some denon amp/cd in the midrange and then these Dali 102s. You could just keep listening and keep listening forever. Really forgot anything about the speakers and/or sound details and just focused on the music.

What the heck I thought... Time went by 2 years before I myself bought some Dali 850s as I found a lot of positive reviews on these big floorstanding speakers.

First time I really found high resolution combined with a somewhat satisfactionary linear response. BUT i found the 2 8inch bass units far too boomy for my little 12-15 square meter living room.

Hence I bought the 102 previosly owned from a guy in Denmark. Paying only 500 danish kroner for a decent couple of the revion 2 102s. Units were 100% ok luckily.

Man, I never got that much value for any money I spent before.

It irritates me a bit because I cannot describe exactly why these speakers sound so good. I just find myself able to listen and listen forever - actually forgetting most of the time that I am listening to speakers.

The sound is not topnotch high-resoluted but sounds dynamic.

The mids seems at first somewhat lacking, but everything is there. It just don't come smashing into your face like the sound of eg the Dali 850's do.

The bass is deep but not annoying. Not the most tight bass around but blends in well.

I must say that it's my overall statement of this speaker:

Everthing blends in well

- recently I bought a couple of the cult Kef 104.2s. These speakers reminds me of the Dali 102s in the sense of fatigue free listening. I am very excited to test these speakers in time coming. I must admit that these speakers seem to beat the Dali 102s - but we are also talking speakers costing 8 times the price.

Purchased At:   dba.dk

Submitted by Soeren a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
No severe weakneses. A bit laid back - but after a while you realize that no detalis are missing - but they are not thrown into your face. And I find that very natural and the same as I experiance atlive auditions. To many speakers focus on details and you get tirred.

Submitted by Soeren a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
This little 2 way bookshelf speaker was just what I was looking for. It has a great balance and plays al music styles in an involving and superior way. No details missing and yet soft when needed. It also delivers great bass for its size. Furthermore it is not critical to the equipment you use. Great if you are tired of the upfront sound which is popular for the time beeing.

Submitted by Audionorm a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
The model I am using is 104.2. I find the sound of the speakers are clear, sweet and warm, particularly for vocals. Bass is sufficient for speakers of such size. Try them. Do not waste time to search for loudspeakers of such type.

Purchased At:   AV shop

Submitted by Joegas a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 1, 1998

Bottom Line:
The DALI 102s won a prestigious award for Best Speakers in its class here in Australia two years ago, and I guess that is partly why I bought them here. That they sound so good makes me wonder why so few people are not even aware of them, choosing instead to review (and praise, I might add) the DALI 104s, for example.
These speakers are occasionally a little too bright, and the bass is only reasonable -- but hey, their thrilling clarity and knockout dynamics must be heard to be believed. For that unforgettable something that they can do to one's own spinal cord, provided you have the right CDs, these speakers were cheap at $600 Australian two years ago (although I don't know if they are still on sale anywhere).

If Castle Harlechs (the best speakers I've heard so far) rate a "5" while retailing at five times the price of the DALIs, the DALIs themselves must rate a "4"!