Dahlquist DQ-30i Floorstanding Speakers

4.4/5 (15 Reviews)

Submitted by Captain Silver a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2015

Bottom Line:
The dq30i s are absolutely wonderful , as are all Dahlquists, and far surpass many other pretentious overpriced offerings.
If you think you love em or are even disappointed in them try this: Replace the garbage (they probably cost 12 cents) speaker posts with some nice quality ones...I favor silver plated copper from CMC...yep...Chinese....you wont believe what you have been missing. Break-in will be slow...they may even sound a bit dead right off but just keep listening. The bean counters can wreck any good product and often do! Good listening....dont thank me..just send money....Ha Ha!

Submitted by Bernard David a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2014

Bottom Line:
I write just to correct a few misconceptions. The DQ-30 and DQ-30i came AFTER the Dahlquist company was sold. Neither Jon Dahlquist nor Carl Marchisotto had anything to do with their design, and sonically it is not in the same league as those designed by the actual Dahlquist company.

It's still not a "bad" speaker, just not up to the standards of what Jon or Carl would have created.

Submitted by Andreas a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2012

Bottom Line:
I was not happy with my DQ 30i (serial numbers: 01875 and 01876) until I have used the right cables (Nordost Valhalla) and the right power cords for the rest of my components. From this time I am fully satisfied with my DQ 30i and would never think to exchange them with anything else.

Submitted by niccolosito a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2011

Bottom Line:
After being amazed by my DQ-10's, I just had to get a pair of either DQ-20's,20i's, or 30i's and luckily, won in my bid on a pair of 30i's in great condition on eBay. The quality that separatesthem from all the other speakers I've listened to is the height of the sound. The soundstage is up there it seems live. I wouldn't bother to write any more than what has already been written all these years about these speakers. They and the 10's are simply unbelievable. I'm just thankful that I read about these speakers in the internet and pursued them doggedly. You'd be doing yourself a favor if you can score a pair of either speakers. Better if you can buy a pair of both speakers.

Submitted by Spicaman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
The DQ 30i is the last speaker that was made by Jon Dahlquist.They are very open detailed and full. No lack of sound stage. To sum it up, what goes in is what comes out! They were designed as a high end speaker system...(high end sources required)In my opinion,solid state mid to low fi(Adcom,Sony etc.they're all the same) insults the sonic capabilities of these speakers. ("good")Tubes bring them to life.Thanks to a very passive and loving wife I am able to own any speaker system I'd like.This is my choice! She ( a DQ 10 fan)loves them too!

Purchased At:   Audioweb