Conic Acoustics KC-225 Floorstanding Speakers

two-way, dual-conic enclosure, ribbon tweeter, dual woofers

Submitted by Q M a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 22, 1999

Bottom Line:
Had the opportunity to review these in my home for several weeks, thanks to the designers of these fine transducers. First, let me tell you the construction of these is second to none. And the design is completely unique. The conical cabinets are solid as rocks. The design philosophy of a rounded conical cabinet makes so much sense, but looking at these as an engineer, I know they are not easy to make.
AS far as sound, let's start at the top: the corrugated ribbon Tweeter is way beyond anything I've heard, ever. It eats my Legacy Focus ribbons for lunch. It's that good. With my Foci, I have to sit in a small window to get the highs. With these ribbons, (and I suspect this has a lot to do with the cabinet design) I can move around quite a bit, vertically and horizontally, and still get a wonderfully coherent treble/mid mix. Moving down, the Eton Hexacone drivers are hard to beat. Female vocals are unbelievably realistic. They capture all the signal that is there, and match it to moving air, without adding any of their own signature. These speakers are incredibly flat. Nowhere could I detect a peak in frequency. They are warm compared to my Foci, but not overly.
However, you'll need a sub to enjoy full range music in a larger room. And positioning can be tricky when trying to create a centered image.
Worth listening.