Cerwin Vega VE-12F Floorstanding Speakers

The large, 3-way, bass reflex design with 12 woofer kicks out the high volume and articulated bass that have made Cerwin-Vega famous. The VE-12F tower speaker is perfect for everything from the tight definition of mid- and high-frequency rock and jazz to the deep bass of hip-hop and R&B.

Submitted by think420 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2012

Bottom Line:
I own a set of the LS-12s and a set of the newer (Chinese Made) VE-12Fs and the old LS-12s sound much better than the VE-12Fs. That being said, I wanted so much to like the sound quality of the Cerwins, but no matter how much I fiddle with my EQ levels and no matter which of my three different receivers I hook them up to they just don't reproduce sound well. They look amazing! and that is what drew me to them in the first place, but the sounds that come out of this brand is muddy at best. I feel like the crossovers they put in these things rob the music of clarity. If you like bass in the range of 80hz to 125hz you may like these speakers. I like deep 30hz - 60hz bass and typically will adjust the 100hz down to a tolerable level. With this brand you can't adjust the 100hz type bass down far enough for comfort and clarity no matter what you do. I feel like there is a very limited bass response to anything under 60hz with these. LS-12s are a little better with the low bass than the VEs. The mids and highs are very unbalanced in Cerwin Vegas and they sound dirty and shrilly. They do get loud and are good for house parties and backyard bbqs but if you are looking to sit and enjoy some good music at reasonable volumes forget about these speakers and get anything but these speakers. I have floor standing Sonys, Pioneers, Bic Americas, and a set of tower speakers the cabinets of which I constructed myself that house (2) 12" speakers, a mid, and a horn pizzo tweeter each...All of the other speakers sound worlds better than the Cerwins do. It's sad because I realllly wanted to like the CV floor standing speakers, but I just can't warm up to them no matter how much I try, and my ears rejoice when I go back to my other speakers everytime. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but i felt obligated to give an honest review based on my 30 years of being an audio enthusiast. Also it sucks that CV probably laid off American workers, because all of their products are now made in China, (like everything else) but are still charging an arm and a leg for their beautiful yet dirty sounding speakers. Just sayin'

Submitted by Kevin a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2012

Bottom Line:
Awesome!!....have had these for about 13 years now and they still sound great. If you like loud music you can feel for a descent price these are the speakers for you. I love my rock and roll and my roommate loves to listen to his rap on these cause they pound. I am running a late 90's Sony receiver with a 100 watts per channel and too me they sound way more like a concert than 1000 dollar audiophile speakers...but then again I go to concerts to rock and have fun and not sit down in some padded chair waiting to die.

Submitted by david ferraro a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2011

Bottom Line:
finally purchased the legend. well worth it. had B&W and kliptsh book shelf type speakers in past. could not get these out of mind from the past. bought them and they blew all others way. you don;t need a sub woofer. these have a big 12 inch!! and deliver, price is worth it.