Cerwin Vega AT-15 Floorstanding Speakers

4.41/5 (39 Reviews) MSRP : $1080.00

15" Woofer, (2)5" Mid and 1" Tweeter (1987-1997)

Submitted by okieaudiophile a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2012

Bottom Line:
Purchased these at Circuit City in the early 90's for half price around $700. These have been great sounding speakers for over 20 years. Early on could not afford a big enough amp but my Pioneer vsx 1120 drives them fine. Also the automatic equalization smooths out some rough edges. No need for a sub with these babies they will shake the house. Recently had to replace foam surrounds on woofers. $29 bucks from simply speakers and speakers sound like new. Highly recommend buying used and fixing up worth the trouble.

Submitted by T-bone a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2011

Bottom Line:
In 1991 I saw Circuit City had a pair of CV AT-15s on sale for $600 a pair. I went ahead and picked up a set. A year later I purchased a Carver TFM-35/250 Watt per Channel amplifier for them. Talk about loud! I have since moved on to more accurate speakers and amplifiers but could never part with the old Carver/ CV combo. They are from a different louder time of my life.
I just used mine to DJ a wedding a couple weeks ago. It had been a long time since I used the CVs in such an agressive manner. But even at 20 years old they played louder than most professional DJ equipment and still sound a whole lot better. There was another DJ across the way that was also doing a wedding. My CV’s sounded SO much better.
People who hate on Cerwin Vega just don’t understand them and what they were built for. Do you take a Ferrari off roading? Do you take a Land Cruiser to the drag races? So why would you expect the CV to sound like a B&W? They were not built to be the most accurate speakers. The Cerwin Vegas are made for high volume and bass output while still having some kind of accuracy doing so.
Bottom line; if you want loud, low, and efficient, you can’t go wrong with the AT-15. If you want accuracy and detail, look elsewhere. However the CV’s don’t sound that bad considering what they were built for.

Submitted by GoodieAT15 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2011

Bottom Line:
I don't really see why all the Cerwin-Vega! Haters do what they do, I mean, have they ever even listened to a pair of Cerwin Vegas with a good amplifier?
Don't waste six grand on some "audiophile" speakers, cuz you're throwing your cash in the bin.

I've owned my Cervin Vega! AT-15 for a few months, and I can't describe how good they are, if you want a speaker that pounds a large amount of bass, go for these. If you want a speaker that sounds good, crisp AND clear? Go for these.
I've listened to similar speakers such as, AL 1000, VS-15 and different kind of speakers from Sweden and Denmark.
But nothing can really compare to the clarity and smoothness of the mids in the AT series speakers.
As I said, don't buy crap because bad sound really does kill good music.

Submitted by panheadjeff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2010

Bottom Line:
I've had my AT-15's for around 15 years now and you just can't hurt these things. When I want LOUD, I use my MC2100 solid state amp and hang on ! These speakers like a lot of volume, but they also sound fantastic when hooked up to my 8 watt a channel single ended tube amp !! When using the tube amp, with all bass and treble set at flat position the sound stage is amazing, life like placement of voice and instruments. Anyone who talks these things down has never really listened to them. My audiophile friend from New Orleans tells me that my small system blows away all of his expensive audio equipment. And with just 8 watt per channel!!! I have sold my Bose speakers because they just don't have the presence of the AT 15's.

Submitted by rosocool a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2010

Bottom Line:
I LOVE my cerwin vega speakers. They sound great!!!!!!!!! I have two AT-15 speakers the cabinet that holds them both are in very good shape. I have a
kenwood audio-video stero receiver ka-v9010 this receiver goes up to 30.
kenwood stero double cassette deck kx-w8010
kenwood multiple compact disc player dp-ma8
kenwood full automatic turntable kd-492f

the speakers have 3 tweeters and 1 mid range that has 3,000 watts of power.