Cerwin Vega AT-15 Floorstanding Speakers

4.45/5 (42 Reviews) MSRP : $1080.00

15" Woofer, (2)5" Mid and 1" Tweeter (1987-1997)

Submitted by Matt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2016

Bottom Line:
In 91, I wanted a system that I would have forever. I made the right choice. Onkyo integra and CW AT-15. I dare you to find a bad review on these speakers. Bass, bass, and more bass. I am only pushing 110 watts, they can handle over 400!. After 20 years I had the surrounds and voice coil replaced by licensed service center - I had my babies back!!! These speakers are truly one of a kind. Will never get rid of them. I paid a lot for them when the first came out, few hundred more to have them rebuilt - worth every penny.

Submitted by Joe s a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2016

Bottom Line:
bought these used for 200 bucks with a technics high powerd amp included , speakers were too big for my house so had to set them up in my workshop ,
as soon as i hooked everything up , and turned the volume up , my wife says the smile was worth every penny ,
20 years ago a salesman gave me a demo of a pair in store , and it was a memory i never forgot ,,when the chance to own a pair came around had no problem purchasing them they were a b ich to load and unload , they top about 90 lbs per speaker ,
i refoamed them back to the nice shiny red foams , also replaced one speaker terminal in the rear , re glued the cross bracing in them as the glue was no longer holding , ,
i also painted the raw particle board inside of the cabinets now they dont absorb moisture and smell like damp pressboard ,,
i will keep these forever because nothing comes close to the tight bass and sound quality of these ,
i have a pair of six inch cerwin vegas and the surround sound deal in my living room they don't compare at all , not even close ,,

for concert sound and feel ,, the at-15 s are the closest by far

Submitted by James LeMons a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2015

Bottom Line:
I bought my AT-15s when they first hit the market and was blown away by the quality of sound they produce. I still have them today and would not want to trade them for anything else. At the time I had an old Pioneer SX1280 that I was having a hard time finding a set of speakers that did it justice. The AT-15 were a great match and could handle more than what the SX1280 could put out. I far as I'm concerned there isn't a better speaker on the market.

Submitted by okieaudiophile a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2012

Bottom Line:
Purchased these at Circuit City in the early 90's for half price around $700. These have been great sounding speakers for over 20 years. Early on could not afford a big enough amp but my Pioneer vsx 1120 drives them fine. Also the automatic equalization smooths out some rough edges. No need for a sub with these babies they will shake the house. Recently had to replace foam surrounds on woofers. $29 bucks from simply speakers and speakers sound like new. Highly recommend buying used and fixing up worth the trouble.

Submitted by T-bone a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2011

Bottom Line:
In 1991 I saw Circuit City had a pair of CV AT-15s on sale for $600 a pair. I went ahead and picked up a set. A year later I purchased a Carver TFM-35/250 Watt per Channel amplifier for them. Talk about loud! I have since moved on to more accurate speakers and amplifiers but could never part with the old Carver/ CV combo. They are from a different louder time of my life.
I just used mine to DJ a wedding a couple weeks ago. It had been a long time since I used the CVs in such an agressive manner. But even at 20 years old they played louder than most professional DJ equipment and still sound a whole lot better. There was another DJ across the way that was also doing a wedding. My CV’s sounded SO much better.
People who hate on Cerwin Vega just don’t understand them and what they were built for. Do you take a Ferrari off roading? Do you take a Land Cruiser to the drag races? So why would you expect the CV to sound like a B&W? They were not built to be the most accurate speakers. The Cerwin Vegas are made for high volume and bass output while still having some kind of accuracy doing so.
Bottom line; if you want loud, low, and efficient, you can’t go wrong with the AT-15. If you want accuracy and detail, look elsewhere. However the CV’s don’t sound that bad considering what they were built for.