Cerwin Vega A-316R Floorstanding Speakers

4.67/5 (6 Reviews)

Submitted by Tim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2012

Bottom Line:
Found 2 316r speakers on a curb. Took them home and they pound! Selling if anyone is interested.

Submitted by Dennis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2011

Bottom Line:
I bought my 316r's in 1981 and they have been my main speakers for thirty years.I recently upgraded electronics to a NAD C165BEE and NAD C272 pre-amp,power amp combo.I always liked the 316r,but I never knew they could sound this good.With the NAD electronics the old C-V's sound so much more defined and accurate.In the high range the cymbals have more definition and no shrillness.Vocals are clear with great presence.Probably the most noticable improvement comes in the bass.The big 15" drivers on the 316r's used to be a little boomy...not any more!The bass is now tight and powerful.Every note of the bass guitar stands out and the kick drum hits you in the chest like a good house system in a live concert.
These are OLD speakers so I imagine you can pick a set up rather cheap.Matched with the right electronics the 316r's are impressive.

Submitted by Joel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2010

Bottom Line:
Cerwin Vega 316R speakers. I bought these speakers in 1981 and kept them until 2000 when my children were too young for me to play them any more. They are so big the were end tables for the couch. I used to put a 19 " tv on top of one of them. They were amazing and I gave them to my oldest sons friend who never even turned them on and got rid of them because he thought they were broken because they needed refoaming. The kids are grown and I finally replaced these withKlipsch RF82's which sound great with a full surround system, but pale in comparison in the music department compared to the Cv 316r's. I used to hook the cv's up to my stereo with a stereo vcr and play movies and the house used to shake when the bombs went off or the helidcopters flew by. Wish I still had them. I hope whoever ended up with them is enjoying them.

Submitted by jabber a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2010

Bottom Line:
Just got a set of vintage Cerwin Vega 316r'sand they are beyond amazing!!! Nothing can kill these! I bought them off my cousin (whose Dad bought them at a yard sale for 20 bucks) and he tested them on two Macintosh mc2300 + sansui AU7900, and they rock. I'm running a Sansui Integrated AU6900 and Phase Linear 400, and these speakers shake the whole room. One of the mids aren't working and the other one is scratchy, will need attention, but it still pounds. I have a pair of Pioneer CS703's 15in. and the Vegas kill them with ease! I will never part with these and will be on the look out for more cerwin vegas!!!!

Submitted by jphil a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is one of the best speakers I have ever own. the other one that I have are JBL LT-80. They don't even give a little competition to my cerwin vega....

Purchased At:   gift