Celestion Impact 40 Floorstanding Speakers

3.93/5 (15 Reviews) MSRP : $950.00

10" Woofer and 1" Tweeter

Submitted by Joel A. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2008

Bottom Line:
I recently purchased a pair of Impact 40 speakers still in the original cartons....new and with reworked crossovers and an impedance change to 8 ohms for $500.00 for the pair to replace my old AR3 speakers. I found the sound first rank.....the tweeters are crystal clear and the base is powerful and tight. I added an eight inch Polk powered sub-woofer just to get room shaking base when playing classical organ music.I was in ecstasy the first time I played a Widor Toccata.My speakers would be able to break an apartment lease but also work just wonderfully with guitar,voice and piano at both normal and high volume levels.I am just so happy with my new speakers.

Submitted by Rob Burns a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2007

Bottom Line:
For the price paid I was not expecting much. Didn't even give them a thorough listen before paying the bucks. They were in great shape...had been boxed for a few years so I took the gamble.

When I got them home and connected them up to my old Marantz equipment I was definitely not happy...the bass was muddy and the highs could hardly be heard.
For the first time in my life I actually used bass, mid and treble controls to get them to sound "alright".
A day later I decided they had to leave the living room area...fully carpeted and filled with stuffed furniture. I moved them onto the hardwood floors with area rugs.
Suddenly, I heard a different speaker. Everything I hoped they would be they became. Tone controls returned to flat...Bill Evans cranked and I was away...I was very impressed with the detail and imaging...bass and mids were clear and tight...the highs were clear and smooth..I fell in love.

Submitted by todds7 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2004

Bottom Line:
Product Reviewed: Celestion Impact 40

I went shopping for used speakers on a tight budget and just took the recommendation of the owner of Hawthorne Stereo in Seattle. I knew England's Celestion because I own a 400-watt tube bass amp, a big 15-inch enclosure, and a 4X10 enclosure filled with British Celestion woofers -- I know Celestion's quality. Celestion woofers also fill my dad's Gale speakers, whose quality has also impressed me over the years. The Brits build great speakers (and tube amps! :) I have a great deal of respect for them. But I digress.

But back to these Impacts. The price was right, and I was familiar with the product. I'm running them off my Philips SACD and Marantz 1250 integraged. For 12-inch woofers, they're not at all bass-shy. The detail is extremely accurate.

Not overy warm, or cold analytical. Just right actually. But what incredible detail! I've clearly heard subtle nuances that I've never heard before in the music. (I was wondering what the hell a noise was and had to put my ear right to the speaker to verify that it was from the CD! It was definitely a "Wow, check that out!" experience. Pretty cool.

For full retail of more than $1000 my review would be a little cooler, because for that kind of money you've got a LOT of choices out there. But for $200-something? I've spent that on dinner! For $500, these are superlative speakers. Mind you, I'm saving my sheckles for something better, but if you want instant upper mid-fi for cheap, absolutely and by all means, pay anything up to $500 and love the dickens out of these dudes. Buyer's remorse will be buyer's rejoice on this one.

Purchased At:   Hawthorne Stereo Sea

Submitted by Lee Middleton a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
Huge speakers! 92dB@1w@1m will make even the most weedy amp sound like a powerhouse. Watch that 4 Ohm impedence though. Not very good at low levels but really start to sing at high volumes. Ideal for movies or serious bass heads. Most comfortable in your average stately home where they can stretch their wings and fill the largest of rooms with that lovely beefy music.

Purchased At:   Affordable Audio, No

Submitted by David a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
weak highs great mid muddy bass. i run two pairs it cost me $ 450. 00 for two sets. they cant compete with the better speakers