Celestion AVF302 Floorstanding Speakers

3.75/5 (4 Reviews) MSRP : $1348.00

Revolutionary designed curved stand with a thickness of just less than .5" which houses a die cast aluminum cabinet for truly striking looks, a stylish addition to any hi-fi setup or matched with the AVP305 system to create a home theatre system, 1" aluminum dome tweeter, 5.25" aluminum coated PP-cone bass/midrange driver, 50Hz-22kHz frequency response (+/-2dB), 2.5kHz crossover frequency, 10-100W power handling, sensitivity 90dB for every 2.83v input, 8 ohms impedance, magnetically shielded, speaker is weighted on the bottom to prevent tipping, 35"H x 7.3"W x 18.9"D, beech wood cabinet.

Submitted by Bradford a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2007

Bottom Line:
Finally. I've found the speakers for me. My musical tastes have matured quite alot since I purchased my first surround sound system, and with it also my ear for sonic quality. The more I learned to love the intricacies and beauty of many different types of music, the more I yearned to hear it more clearly and accurately and thus began a seemingly endless cycle of buying something (recievers, full size speakers, satellites, subs, etc.) then not long thereafter becoming disappointed and wanting more, and better. Well, after owning these speakers, along with the AVP305 speaker set (alsofrom Celestion, it's a set of four of these without the fancy stands, and one double-wide center channel cpeaker-- minus the sub that normally comes with that set--I have a 12" polk which does it's job just fine) I can finally say that I am satisfied.

The clarity is near perfect, things sound as they should. From a good source, musical instruments sound strikingly similar to their real-life counterparts--not like speakers. They are very versatile as well, for instance if you are like I used to be in my teen years then you can turn your sub way up, and the resulting garbage would sound as good or better than any expensive six foot tall Nuance speaker can accomplish. You won't be throwing block parties with these but my ears give in before the speakers do (and that's saying alot).

Loud thumping bass is not where these shine--in fact, without a subwoofer you won't be thumping anything. However, they actually do go surprisingly low for such small speakers, and a good sub can fill out the sound beautifully. The frequencies which are high enough to localize do come from the speakers, anything under that, well, it doesn't matter--it just sounds like it's coming from the speakers even though it's in fact coming from a sub.

Movies, by the way, sound excellent on these. Explosions sound like explosions. A waterfall wont rattle the paintings off of your wall but it will, however, sound like a waterfall. Same goes for pretty much any other sound effect in a movie. Voices sound natural and realistic.

(Very cheap at Best Buy!)

Submitted by xtmsports a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2004

Bottom Line:
I am pretty critical of my audio/video equipment. When I was at Best Buys looking at digital camcorders, I ran across these beautiful speakers. The looks caught my eyes, the Celestion name grabbed my interest. And the sound had me sold. Not to mention the $299 closeout price for brand new Hi-Fi speakers. Buying these for $299 was like buying a BMW 740iL for $20K. Other stores and websites are selling them for 3-4 times the price. The sound is excellent and accurate. The highs are so smooth that you can crank it up and not feel like you have pins in your head. The vocals are as accurate as speakers that are $3-5K more. The low end is on the weak side since there is really no large woofer to produce the tight and deep bass. Problem was easily solved, I matched the speakers up with a Celestion S20 subwoofer and it was like night and day. Everything came alive. I also purchased the AVP303 matching surround and center channel to complete the set. My home theatre system sounds outright awesome.

Submitted by audiomarc1 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2004

Bottom Line:
I came upon these exquisite looking speakers while looking for a laptop at Best Buy. Upon listening to them on a crude set-up at the store, I knew they had some very special "audiophile" qualities. So, I bought them. Right out of the box, they were excellent. Visually, they are beautiful. Very rich and expensive looking - they should be because after checking with Celestion, I found out that their original cost was $1200. You have 30 days to demo, but I'm keeping mine. I sold my Boston Acoustics VRM 50 Lynnfield monitors they were so good.

Submitted by Gav_2000 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2004

Bottom Line:
I was hoping to replace my 'big black box' TDL speakers with something more stylish. Unfortunately, style is all the Celestion speakers have going for them as they sound absolutely terrible. The sound is thin and annoyingly metallic sounding. after 10 minutes I found them unlistenable. They will be returned to the dealer next weekend.

Purchased At:   Richer Sounds