Castle Acoustics Howard Floorstanding Speakers

4.91/5 (11 Reviews) MSRP : $2700.00

(2) 6" Woofers and 1" Dome

Submitted by mrbeaudangles a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2002

Bottom Line:
As with most english speakers, these are very detailed, clear, neutal, and yet reserved. Certainly not in your face. Found they work best about 16" from rear wall with no toe in. They have a wide frequency range and image wonderfully. You have a wall of sound coming at you. Bass can go deep and treble is sweet. Mid-range may actually be their strength, as female vocals are so crisp and clear. But to judge the speakers alone is very difficult. It really is dependant on the whole package. The electronics and cables and even the cd itself will have a significant effect on the sound reproduction. These speakers are one of the best high end secrets out there. Castle makes about 97% of the their speakers, unlike most of their competiton
cabinets , drivers , and crosssovers. And they do not have 20 different models to choose from. In fact Linn and Proac use their cabintes as well. May not excel in everything but exceeds in all around performance. Before you run out to buy some highly reviewed and advertised mfg, give these a fair listen.

Purchased At:   eAudionet

Submitted by Andy Walmsley a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
I work just round the corner from the Castle factory in North Yorkshire.

I popped in and mentioned the reported lack of a website to them.

They do in fact have a good web site which can be accessed at - http://www.castle.uk.com/pages/about.htm

Submitted by Christophe Henderickx a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
It was at the end of an afternoon of listening that I ran into the Castle Howard S3. When I listened to these speakers, I immediately fell in love with them. Powerful yet detailed, broad but incredibly accurate soundstage. They pick up at 32 Hz! Taut bass, vivid treble. They need biwiring however, unlike the B&W P6. I first connected them to my Yamaha DSP-A2 home theater amp, and they actually dealt very well with that. But what really made them sing is my current setup with an Arcam CD72 and a Linn kolektor/lk85 combo. Pretty soon I am going to buy a second Linn lk85, so I can truly bi-amp with active crossovers.
The speakers always sound crisp, in control, plenty of grunt at lower frequencies without booming. The twin pipe quarter wave concept Castle uses for its Harlech and Howard is truly worth some closer examination from the competitors. The concept pins artists on a location in the room without it having to be a 'listening room' It plays well in a kitchen if you want to... Home theater use however will require an active sub on the side. Center speaker matching is not a problem: Castle has got two models. Surround speaker matching is also quite easy, unless you want dipoles. Back to the S3. Even Hifi retailers who have heard my speakers play had to admit to them being superior to what they offer in this price range. However, in Belgium, there is only one authorized Castle retailer who usually pairs them up with LFD amps. That is why I went to another retailer to buy my amp. LFD is very musical, but quite expensive, and I needed a tape loop for my home cinema input.
The craftmanship that has gone into these speakers deserves admiration. They are beautifully finished and the veneer used is top quality. If I was faced with a new purchase of main speakers, I would not hesitate for a second and buy another pair of these. I love my speakers, and coming from someone who had never even heard from Castle before, and was a sceptic towards two-way concepts, that should mean something.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Sound Center Ninove, Belgium

Submitted by Bo a

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have always had problems with bright sounding speakers and have avoided metal dome tweeters thinking they would sound bright. However, when I saw the Howards on special at a very good price I took the opportunity to audition them, expecting the worst. When i put on the first track of a CD I knew well, I broke into goose bumps. The treble was the sweetest I had ever heard, there were tambourines in the background I didn't know were there and all I wanted to do was turn up the volume instead of turning it down like I normally have to when music gets complicated.
Unlike most ordinary speakers which start to get smeared when you turn the volume up, the Howards retain total control and every note is discernable even at high SPLs.
The great thing is that, late at night, when you want to listen at low volume, the Howards let you hear every note too.
A dealer describing the difference between good and bad speakers said: a bad speaker you back away from and a good speaker draws you in. I find myself literally leaning forward sometimes.
My tastes are fairly wide and the Howards handle everthing from pop to classical in a very musical and controlled way but I can imagine that lovers of heavy rock may find them too disciplined.
The bass is sufficient to negate the use of a subwoofer for music and very tuneful so that you don't hear the one note bass often associated with lesser designs although I use the subwoofer for HT for more effects.
I have a small room (approx 12 x 18')but I haven't experienced the boominess others have. In fact they don't seem to be room dependent at all.
For those interested in the aesthetics, they are beautifully finished and I have the antique oak but the yew veneer is definitely the most sensational. Unfortunately they didn't have any left.
The Howards have overcome my fear of metal tweeters and after auditioning many speakers in the same price range I have finally found the ones I can live with for a very long time.

Submitted by alex a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
sorry guys - but i guess i am like the only one who paid a mere $US 250 FOR THE PAIR. local store had some speakers on sale, otherwise the pair would have been $US 1200.

i am only 24 but listening to music is one of my favourite free-time activities. love these speakers - i guess they r right if they say it is a lifetime-investment. wont need any other ones any time soon, defenitely no fancy 5 speaker satellite system - my bet is that it couldnt beat these two babies in any category.

and to all other yougsters that acces this site: ass-intense music like techno doesnt even, at max volume, make em shiver... as to your neighbours though - thats another story. and to all classical music lovers: u wont find anything better - it IS like in a concert hall...

they look great, sound great and hey - $US 250!!!!!!!!

Purchased At:   local hifi and comp chain

Hi, from Howard

Hello, from Howard in South Jersey I arrived at your site while searching for a cure for my ailing Sansui G-8000. I purchased it back in 1978 (a close-out model from 1977), and have never put any money or special attention into it. The problem is that I hear "crackling" noises intermitantly, and wh ... Read More »

More of Howard Stern busting Led Zeppelin.

I know that Rich From Texas won't like this since he was a big fan and all, but I just have to get this out of my system. Many of you already know that Led Zep ripped off many of their best songs from other artists, but this segment on Howard Stern, with the world's foremost 'classic rock expert', h ... Read More »

What did you all think of Howard Dean's concession speech in Iowa?

I'm sure you all have heard about it so I won't have to rehash it (to make a long story short, Dean let out an enthusiastic yell after listing the primary states that he wants to win). Let me start out by stating that I can't stand Howard Dean, he comes across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk and ... Read More »