Carver Audio Silver Edition Amazing Loudspeakers Floorstanding Speakers

4.81/5 (16 Reviews)

48" ribbons and three 12" woofers per side

Submitted by CarverFanNC a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2010

Bottom Line:
Carver's Speakers are truly Amazing - and I've had mine for over 20 years, other than blowing the slo-blo line fuses they've never diappointed. Great Bass extension and awesome vocals; the only drawback is a high treble resonance that makes some stuff sound great but others too harsh.

I run a pair of M-1.0ts in a mode that Carver himself told me works best - it's called mono-block mode. When you bridge a Carver M-1.0 you get 1000W @ 8 ohms, but each channel is really only seeing 4 ohms, and with the Carver Amazings probably closer to 4 ohms now you're down to almost 2 ohms on each side. You can run them that way for sure, but you're not really running the amp in its sweet spot. Carver's solution (I talked personally at length with him) was to give up a little power and run the amps in monoblock mode. You simply short out the right channel; by doing so the left channel now has access to the entire power supply and operates closer to its design load for the low impedence Carver speakers. Figure about 700W into 8 ohms, so probably around 1200-1400W per channel available to the Amazings if you can supply enough current to the amps.

The second thing that I did that REALLY improves the tightness of the bass is to provide more current to the amps. Bascially I had an electrician run a 50A 220V circuit into the listening room. If you know 220 you know it's 4 prongs, a +120V, a -120V, a common, and a ground. What I did is simply wire up a 4-outlet box with a 4-wire 4GA dryer cord as input and break out the +120V to one pair of standard 120V outlets, and -120V to the other pair of outlets. Obviously I run the left side on +120V and the right side on the -120V drop. If you simply run each amp into a single outlet 120V circuit they compete with each other for current. Using my method each amp has a separate independent 50A 120V circuit, so there's simply more current available to each channel. Of course the electrician was pretty mystified by my request - his comment was "Geez - you could run a 5HP motor off of this". So do the math; 1 HP = 745W, so 5 HP = 3500W.. yup, that sounds about right.

Submitted by Magnaryder a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2007

Bottom Line:
I salivated over these speakers when I first heard them. I heard things on my reference discs I'd not heard before and realized some of them(the discs) were junk. I needed to upgrade soem of my listening material, but that's not a bad thing.

I live near Progressive Audio in Columbus,Ohio. They claim to have one of the 2 best listening rooms in the world. Back in the day they even ran ads in Stereophile. Yeah, they don't like Bob Carver or his equipment so I go there just to let them try to change my mind. I've been able to hear systems costing unpwards of $250,000 and have yet to hear something that is substantially better than the Carver system I have. Sure the Wilson X-1s have a wee bit more base extension, but for 70K more I'd like to get something. Theil, Vandersteen and the like aren't even in the ballpark with the Amazings.

I play some acoustic stuff and the articulation of the instruments and the solidity of the image in the soundfield is Amazing(thus the name). I heard some image {float} in the X-1s. While I have heard speakers with a wee bit more bass extention I don't miss it in the Amazing Silvers.

The tonal balance seems to be linear from high treble through the lowest registers of deep bass. Synthesizer classics from the '70s Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Yes
and Synergy have a punch nad gritiness on the recordings most speakers just gloss over. They don't seem to get it right, the Amazings do.

Vinyl sounds wonderous. My Rolling Stones, Beatles and Grand Funk Railroad LPs sound as big as the bands did. The Count , The Duke and the Chairman have taken on life again. Harry chapin sounds as laid-back as Harry did:-)

I have one of the original Telarc 1812 Overture LP discs from the late '70s. When those cannons go off you'd think you were at Baldwin-Wallace the day they taped it. This is the ONLY system I've ever heard that recording sound *right* on.

My system is composed of a Carver C-19 pre-amp, Carver TX-11 tuner, Carver SDA/490t CD player, Technics SL-1900b turntable, an Optimus DCC-2000 DCC machine, a Carver C-9 sonic Hologram generator, DBX-3BX range expander and DBX-120 Subharmonic synthesizer, a pair of bridged Carver TFM-55s feeding my Carver Silver edition Amazing loudspeakers.

Purchased At:   Swallen's Mansfield

Submitted by Ray Campbell a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2007

Bottom Line:
I've had these speakers for 13 years. For sh%ts and grins I'll go to Progressive Audio in Columbus, Ohio to listen to some of the Mega$$ Spectral/Levinson/Wilson stuff Stereofile has told them audiofiles want to own. Well, I'm still waiting for speakers less than 20k to impress me. Hey it's not like I could justify spending the
20k on something and not get my money's worth. I have yet to hear anything I'd even consider.

I take my fav recordings in hand and give them a listen in one of Progressive's great listening rooms. Progressive has one of the 2 best listening rooms in the world. I've compared my system to a Krell/Wilson /MIT system costing over $250,000 and only thought I was giving up a very little in the low end.

Bob Carver got these right. I'm running a Carver C-19 preamp, TX-11 tuner, an SDA/490t CD player, through 2 bridged TFM-55s to my Silvers.

The soundstage is wide, deep and well defined. Each instrument has it's own place and remains stable in the soundfield. There is an airiness to these speakers I have yet to find in any other design. I found I had to really spend alot of time 'voicing' the speakers into the room. More than other designs room boundries affect the room response. Once I got that right it was time for the Amazing part.

I wasn't disappointed. Female voices have that special something and strings sing. Gershwin, Hank Sr. Van Halen or Joss Stone these speakers ROCK!!!!! I'm currently replacing ribbon diaphrams and all of the woofers but that isn't alot considering what I'd have to sp[end tp replace these audio gems.I'm keeping them forever and my kids can fight over them when I'm gone.

If you can find a set of these speakers and have the system power to drive them you owe it to yourself to check them out.

Purchased At:   Swallens

Submitted by nexus a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2005

Bottom Line:
I have owned these speakers for nearly 15 years. I first heard the "Amazing" loudspeaker demonstated at the 1987 CES in Las Vegas. Lacking funds at the time I waited and soon Carver produced this "Silver" edition. I heard it at the 1991 CES at that time it was available in an 'SE' versuion with a beautiful champaign finish and the gold ribbon. I bought mine shortly after and it has been upgraded about ten years ago with the newer AL-III ribbon which has a better longevity. I recently had to replace the woofers in my Silvers because of rotted surrounds. The replacements are actually better than the originals. Carver orginally had these square flat woofers that looked like some similar Sony units. He lost the supply of those and went with high Q 12 inchers with a nice long throw. They work as dipole subwoofers because of the high Q which compenates for the natural roll off of a dipole. These woofers are 'boxless' sounding and produce a very full bass with excellent extension and surprisingly good distortion. I am able in my smallish living room with a high ceiling to experience bass down below 19 hz!

The ribbons are truly outstanding and the person who suggested reviewers here must be inexperienced, I would add that I am a former recording engineer for a commercial studio and have heard the best in speakers in to be sure. I attended many CES shows and the studio I worked at had a pair of excellent and expensive Dunlavy speakers which we mastered with. My Carvers sound superior in many respects as to the wide and incredible soundstage and detailed midrange. The Carvers play very loud without shouting as many conventional dynamic speakers do. I have heard the Platinum version of these and I must say the sound is very very similar, albiet with a little less volume capability. i considered replacing my Silvers for a set of AL-IIIs when they came out, but the dipole woofers just blow that version away. I have only heard better bass from very expensive transmission line speakers and some high-end systems.

The ribbon is crossed over way too low. I have biamped it and it sounds much much better! I recommend a 300 hz third or forth order crossover. I have to say after all this that these speakers are VERY power hungry! I run bridged M400 Carver amps for over 500 watss per channel into the riboons and more power would be even better. Thats why Carver built amps with 750+ watts per channel. I would recommend a Sunfire amp with at least 1000 watts per channel.

You know if your over driving them when you hear 'ribbon-slap' which sounds like a loud snap. Too much of this and you will torque-out your ribbons and they cost over $600 a pr. to re-build. If you buy these second hand, start to hunt about on the auction sites for another pair to use for parts. I got my AL-III ribbons this way. I bought a pair locally for just $200!

There is a myth to these speakers and a loyal following. Some people think these are psuedo-audiophile speakers, in spite of the rave reviews they had in high end publications. The other myth is that they should really have had a ribbon supertweeter incorporated into their design. My Silvers are never lacking in high end, but as someone else mentioned here, they will reveal all the lousy recordings in your collection!! I have 'remastered' some of my CDs because they posessed flaws. I have the tools to do this kind of work and it reminds me how good the Carvers are. Funny thing is, some of my 'corrections'don't show up on some very expensive speakers! That's embarassing for them!

Purchased At:   SNM Audio

Submitted by blacktomcat a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
Perfect Speaker for Large Rooms and for Home theatre. Transparent Sound (Dipol). I'm very glad with the speaker, for over 8 years, the best amp i tried until yet (tried 5 systems in range 4-10T$) is the original carver amp TFM-25. The only problem is the female-compatibility.

Price Paid:    $2000.00