Canton CT-1000 Floorstanding Speakers

4.33/5 (6 Reviews)

3 way bass reflex full range speaker-top of the line

Submitted by Robert Tholen a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2014

Bottom Line:
I had read the reviews on this site (and some more) and when I came across a pair for 150 euros I decided to try them. Honestly, they are the best speaker I have ever had. You should know, I'm a real cheapskate, so you can imagine how pleased I was when I hooked them up to my 2 x 2,5 Watt single ended tube amp. What a great sound for only 150 euros! The bass was deep and dry, the mids were open and non fatiguing and the highs were... high
After a while I felt they didn't go loud enough so I made them "bi-ampliphiacal": the SE tube driving the mid speaker and the tweeter and an old NAD 2 x 60 Watt for the bass. Wow, I have really never ever heard such detail in the bass! This means that the mid speaker (which is " open baffle" really has a great match with the woofer. After a small correction with my parametric equalizer, they now sound perfect. You know, the Germans like a fat bass and a strong high, too fat and strong for my taste.
My "front end" comprises of J.River Media Player, a DDD USB DAC, an Aikido tube pre-amp, an modified Decware ZEN power amp for the squawker and tweeter, and a NAD power amp for the woofers.
The CT1000 excel in bass response: not only deepness but primarily in articulation. The mids are open due to the open baffle concept and the highs are as they should be, without ssss and integrated with the mids. When I listen to these speakers, I don't hear a woofer, a squawker and a tweeter, I hear music. For me, that is one of the most important characteristics one should look for in a speaker: integration an coherence, and these baby's have them.

Submitted by Tom Dunn a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2007

Bottom Line:
I have read about these for years and accidently found a pr...for $390!! Incredible sound, best lo end I've ever heard, as stated Jazz is the 1000s forte...really amazing response. USE GOOD CLEAN POWER AND GOOD CABLES!
(I'm using a 1985 KENWOOD KA-1100 SD DLD Integrated, it's SWEET.

The newer (1985 0n) models had the mid/hi positioned above the woofer but not in a straight line as before, also a port on back. I called Canton, got a rep who actually remembered this model, told me was because of cosmetic concerns (you can see more of the front cabinet like this, also thet "tubed" the mid on these later models. THESE RETAILED FOR $2500-3000 DEPENDING ON FINISH! Canton's top line speaker at the time.

QUALITY WEST GERMAN LOUDSPEAKER, RIVALING ANYTHING OUT THERE

Get a pr if you can on eBay, well worth it!

Purchased At:   Sound Systems

Submitted by Marek Rola a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2004

Bottom Line:
After reading other reviews I decided to buy these old speakers. They are still in a good condition and plays finely and I'm happy they replace my previous modern, typical home cinema front speakers. I can agree with others but I'm not and expert and can't provide other details. All I can say I tried several new/modern speakers in the $600 range and they were below my expectations.

Purchased At:   allegro (polish ebay

Submitted by powercat a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have had these CT 1000's for 16 years and they continue to outperform anything on the market today. The high end is sweet, the middle range clear, and the low end goes down to challenge any subwoofer. If I could ever find another pair on ebay, I would buy them at any price!! These are, for the money, the best speakers ever produced.

Submitted by Tony Filson a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 26, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have had a pair of CT-1000's now for 12 Years. They are by far one of the BEST speakers I have ever owned. Great, clean bass when not TOO close to a wall, mid-range that makes you cry with joy, and a high end that is just a tiny bit sweet but it only brings out the flaws in your equipment or a recording if your equipment is not up to the quality of these speakers.
If anyone has a pair I would buy them! On the spot! Just Email me. Thank you