Cambridge Soundworks PCWorks Floorstanding Speakers

4.25/5 (36 Reviews) MSRP : $70.00

Computer Speakers

Submitted by Vaca232 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
All I have to say is, for the size and cost of these speakers, WOW! I didn't know 21 watts could get you so far. I own a Megaworks 210D as well, and the PCworks really sounds almost as good, it just cant play as loud at all. But thats comparing a 270 watt system to a 21 watt one. If your looking for computer speakers, or even small speakers for a stereo, PCworks is amazing. I love comparing them to my brothes stereos..a Sony and a Magnavox. They sound fine..untill you listen to the PCworks... If you're trying to decide between PCworks and other speakers for the same price, BUY PCWORKS! If any audiophile says they are not good speakers, tell him/her so stop comparing them to $300 speakers...which the PCworks can come verl close to sometimes. These speakers never stop to amaze me!

I wish the rating scale went past 5, I'd give these speakers a 10 in a heartbeat!

Purchased At:   CSW

Submitted by alanmaier a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
Once in a while, a real gem shows up on the market - often very unassuming to the point that you might pass over them. That would definitely be a mistake with these very compact speakers, as they must be one of the best values in a PC speaker on the market!

Bass is robust, treble is crisp, and ultimate volume output is surprisingly loud. In fact I moved my pair from PC duty to RP HDTV duty (using the internal speaker system for center channel duty) and hid the little satellites of the PC Works behind drapes. Nobody is the wiser! Clearly a nice little system for many applications. Give them a try!

Purchased At:   hifi.com on eBay

Submitted by Kieran Denehan a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2001

Bottom Line:
I had originally ordered a 480W satellite system with my new computer, but when I eventually got it the speakers looked (and sounded) from something you would get in a Cracker Jack Box. As a result, I headed down to the nearest Staples store looking for something to tide me over until I could get a decent pair of computer speakers. I sampled and resampled every set of speakers they had (about 15 in all) and couldn't believe the sound from these little freaks for the price they were going for. Folks, if you are talking "bang for the buck" these are the computer speakers to go with. Fantastic sound overall, but as mentioned in previous reviews, placement of the sub is key.

Purchased At:   Staples

Submitted by Bruce Smith a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have the PCWorks hooked up to a 13" Aiwa stereo TV in my kitchen via the headphone output on the TV. The difference in sound between them and the TV's internal speakers is dramatic. They'd probably do a good job with a portable CD/MD/CS as well. They do not take up much space and look pretty good (OK, the sub is plasticky - but solid). My only beef is that the speakers are hardwired - the wires go in to the speaker and that is that. This is a minor complaint. I am delighted with the sound I get out of the TV using these speakers and have gotten comments about it. I think they now (7/2001) sell for $40 - 10 less than I paid and a real bargain.

Purchased At:   cambridge soundworks

Submitted by Armando a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
Mr. Wit - get real. You cannot compare PCworks (US$39.00) to even the lowest-priced of the models you mention (NHT SuperZero are about US$300/pair, *plus* they require a high quality amp to really perform, kicking it up to at least US$600).

If you are expecting to be able to favorably compare these speakers to systems costing *an order of magnitude* more, you are living on another planet.

I have a set of these in my home office, another set at work, and have recommended to various friends. For smaller rooms and moderate volume levels, *and with careful placement and adjustment of bass unit*, these are a STEAL. Yes, the MicroWorks is a lot better (great midrange compared to these), but it costs three times as much. I defy anyone to find a $40.00 set of speakers that sounds anywhere near these. I am giving a bunch more as gifts this year to my friends in dorm rooms or on a budget.

(FWIW, my reference system is Hales Revelation 2 speakers with a Bryston amp, and my bedroom system is CSW New Ensemble III with a Harman/Kardon receiver, so I have at least some experience shopping at a wide range of price points.)

Purchased At:   hifi.com