Cambridge Soundworks Newton Series MC500 Floorstanding Speakers

4.57/5 (7 Reviews) MSRP : $400.00

L/C/R speaker

Submitted by factoryfat a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2006

Bottom Line:
Have never heard anything better. Nothing even close for the price.

Purchased At:   hifi.com

Submitted by tmand a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2005

Bottom Line:
I am fairly disappointed with these speakers. I have Advent Legacy 2 speakers and was looking for a center channel. I wanted 3 way, acoustic suspension, and something that matches well enough the Advents. I started with the lowest priced acoustic suspension center channel in CSW store and swapped back until I ended up with this one. The dialogue is fairly clear on many discs. However, it is lifeless reproduction compared to the other speakers in my house (too tight). The sounds coming from my left and right speakers are certainly muddled when passages are intricate (2-way speakers have limitations) but bells ring vibrantly and the overall sound is qualitatively better. I am wondering if a single M80 would have been a better choice (or two in parallel) for center channel.

Purchased At:   CSW outlet

Submitted by adlergriff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2002

Bottom Line:
I use it as a center speaker and I love it. It is definitely the strongest feature of my system. I replaced a lower end JBL center with it and there is no comparison. Dialogue is great, but music is where it really shines. Planning on getting 2 more for LF/RF. Note: I mis-cabled it when I first got it and the sound was terrible; low and muffled. Was about ready to send it back for refund. Took a few days to find my mistake and correct it. Correct cabling is critical and not necessarily intuitive. Not difficult, just not obvious. RTFM. They sell these on Ebay all the time for $200 - $250. You'd have to spend a lot more for anything noticeably better.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by rd51 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
I us the MC500 for a center.
I had NO idea how much low end is needed for a center in pro-logic until I hooked this speaker up.
I have been rediscovering all of my cd's ever since.
I notice a distinct difference between my polk RTI28's and the MC500 thanks to the extra detail from that 3.5" poly driver. The polks are only 2 way and have a gap I never new was there until I heard my MC500. Overall this has been one of the finest center speakers I have heard yet.
highly recommended!

Purchased At:   HIFI.COM

Submitted by DT L a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
I originally purchased this speaker as the center channel with the CSW M80 L/R. After using the AVIA HT Guide, it was obvious that my L/C/R was not matched in tonality. I liked the sound of the MC500 so much that I returned the M80's and purchased two more MC500's for L/R. I now have the following:

MC500 L/C/R
S300 Surrounds
JVC 9010VBK Receiver
JVC XV62SL DVD
Jamo SW1008 Sub

The three MC500's together really sound terrific!!!

Purchased At:   hifi.com