Cambridge Soundworks Newton Series MC300 Floorstanding Speakers

4.48/5 (25 Reviews) MSRP : $200.00

L/C/R speakers

Submitted by nzedjared a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2007

Bottom Line:
Bought my MC300s a long time ago along with a powered 8" downward firing Cambridge woof (won't call it a sub though at 275w you CAN feel it). First off, it took at least 2 weeks of regular use to warm the speakers up. They were pretty dim and muted and opened up gradually over that time and with some louder listening. After that, I really started testing them against other speakers including Energy, Bose, AR, etc.

One, they need the separate woofer and Cambridge will tell you to look elsewhere if you want bass without a sub (namely at their bookshelfs speakers w/ 5 1/4" woofers built in or their MC400s). What you gain though is an efficient and very full midrange and tweeter. Not too bright, definately full across the whole spectrum above where the separate woofer or sub comes in. Used as a Center Channel, again that Mid does a great job on movies and dialogue.

However, if you like bright speakers (like a good friend of mine does) rather than well balanced ones, perhaps you should look at a competitor. Cambridge tries to reproduce sound evenly it seems to me, and not brighten the higher octaves like some tweeters seem to do.

Purchased At:   Cambridge

Submitted by rreid66 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2006

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Cambridge SoundWorks Newton Series MC300IW in-wall loudspeaker. Apologies, but there was no listing for this speaker in the in-wall category, so the review appears here with the MC300 rather than in its proper place.

We installed three of the MC300IW's as right, center, left main speakers in our 13' x 26' room. They are combined with four CSW Newton S300's for surrounds and rear surrounds along with a CSW Newton P1000 subwoofer (I keep considering the addition of another P1000 for even coverage of the bass throughout the listening area). We drive the three front and surround speakers with a Pioneer Elite VSX-39TX AV receiver combined with its companion M-10X amp for the two rear surrounds. The Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi DVD player connects to a Hitachi 60V500A LCD rear projector high definition television.

We installed ceiling to floor fibreglas insulation batting between the wall studs where the three MC300IW's were to be mounted. If I had it to do again, I might have added additional damping material to the studs and sheet rock, but the audible gains, if any, may have been minimal.

As it is, serving as audio for both music and video, the CSW MC300IW's have not disappointed us in any way. Clean, full-bodied, realistic mid to upper ranges of music and film audio are their characteristic and delightful quality. To be sure the P1000 subwoofer takes over below 80 Hz to provide the foundational bass for all circumstances. We are very well pleased with the sound of this system. We don't say that the sound of the MC300IW's cannot be improved upon; however, the cost of such improvement may indeed exact a significant financial toll. For those of us who are unwilling to dole forth additional funds, the CSW MC300IW's and their closed-box kin, the MC300's, fulfill the promise in the home of a reasonable facsimile of the real.

Purchased At:   Cambridge SoundWorks

Submitted by Eman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2005

Bottom Line:
I recently upgraded my entire audio system to include the Cambridge Sondworks MC300 speakers. My previous system consisted of the BOSE acoustimass double cube speakers having owned them for over 6 years hence was very familiar with their performance but always felt something was missing especially on movie playback. I set them up on the same receiver for a side by side comparison and expected the comparison to take a while but it didnt.

The MC300 speakers are very nicely styled with great speaker posts and are easily mounted on the wall or on the included speaker stand. The weight is a bit on the heavy side but it feels solid and is still easy to handle.

The first thing I noticed was the large improvement on dialogue when watching movies. The BOSE by comparison sounded as if someone was speaking with a cup or glass near their mouth and consequently voices such as that of Count Duku came across much better in the MC300. Having listened to this radical improvement the BOSE speakers were sold as movies take up 65% of my AV time.

Currently, I am using the MC300 as left front and center speakers and they so far have exceeded my expectations. During music playback and even on movies, I have rediscovered new sounds, effects and nuances that were simply not being delivered on the BOSE speakers. One example was during music playback of a CD I heard a screetching sound so I feared my speakers were defective but it turned out to be the needle of an LP making the noise which was clearly captured on the original CD recording and being audible in the MC300 but missing on the BOSE!. Music playback is much more clear and drum sounds are more pronounced due to the MC300 being better at lower frequencies in other words they can resolve a larger bandwidth than the BOSE most likely due to its two-way design.

The combination with the Cambridge soundworks subwoofer is seamless and strongly recommended as the MC300 is not meant to function as a stand alone speaker due to sound being weak at lower frequencies.

Purchased At:   Cambridge Soundworks

Submitted by Tree63 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2004

Bottom Line:
I purchased a pair of the MC 300's as part of a set (the ensemble 310- slate) of speakers. I have to admit that i was underwhelmed with the looks of the speakers. They come across as plain... even bland. However, i don't buy speakers to decorate my listening room, that's why God made pictures and other pieces of art. These two satellites are quite the steal for what i paid for them. I have auditioned JBL S-38II's, Klipsch SB-3's, and NHT super zero's in my quest for a reasonable satellite to be paired with a reasonable subwoofer. I found somehting i was willing to take a chance on with Cambridge soundworks. Their 10year warr. on the satellites was enticing....as was the 6/2 year warr. on the driver and amp in the Basscube 10S, respectively. After purchasing some cheap stands at worst buy (more bad humor to come...), i set them up in my room. Upon listening to the opening track on my current fav. cd, i notice a certain sound from seemingt o accompany the percussion parts of the song. Well, after listning to the same song for about a half hour, i hear what i think might be a person's knee hitting one of the congo drums. Being a musician myself, I find this to be very exciting....past the point of logic. I am a big fan of paradigm, Def. Tech, B&W, and NHT. I have thoroughly auditioned many speakers from each of those manufacturers. These compare with anythign you'll find from them for under $700. I say compare, not annihilate. The mids can be found lacking in some cases, by some ears, but i feel that is more an issue of personal preference than the fault of the speakers (keeping price range in mind). If crossed over at 100hz, these two sound fine. I don't object toc rossing the sub over that high, because the sub that is paired with them si acoustic suspension, and therefore much less boomy when playing around 90-110 hz. FYI- the basscube 10s is also a great deal....VERY punchy....doesn't play too loud....but will embarrass anything from worst buy, save maybe the klipsch ksw 10 and 12. It plays with those two. Anyways, back to the subject at hand. About the desing of the speakers; the M-T-M design helps focus the tweeter and give it a very wide sweet spot...and also limits the amount of sound sprayed above and below the speakers, minimizing reflections from floor and ceiling. I must say that the tweeters on these speakers are very impressive; they are the same tweeter and mid that appear on the T300 newton towers, which recieve good reviews whenever heard (unless heard by elitists, then they will sound like radio shack material...along with every other speaker under $5,000). The tweeters are open and airy, not harsh. Some might say harsh, but having actually heard the mastering process in the studio for some cd's that i own (and can be bought in stores), i can say that, for the price, the accuracy of these speakers is amazing. On Van morrison's "The Healing Game", the opening track si surprisingly open and the kick drum is very tight (owing to the sub). However, van's voice comes across without any of the boomy overtones that normally accompnay cheap drivers and ill-planned port designs (94% of them). The keyword in this review is TEXTURE! These tweeters and midrange reveal texture that others for this price do no show. The satellites, too, are sealed. Yes, the grills are flimsy, as you will read elsewhere. But that is a minor concern, after you actually hear them. Remember, we are NOT talking about a pair of B&W Nautilus series speakers...these are not meant to be compared to true audio-phile grade equipment. Theyw ill lose every time when compared with equipment of that nature...but so will just about every other speaker for under $700. If you like accurate, crisp sound, these will deliver. They will reveal infidelities in recordings that may cause you to dump some of your cd's. However, if you are the BASS-hed type listener...stick with some cerwin-vega's or jbl's from Rex TV & Appliance. Fpr 362, shipped and out-the-door...these simply can't be beaten (of course that including the sub). I have listened at least 8 hours worth just on the satellites....they are meant to be used as satellites! Not as stand-alones. That defies the principle of their design. If accuracy is what you seek, the pleased you will be if these you choose to buy. 'Nuff said.

Purchased At:   Hifi.com outlet @ Eb

Submitted by Stealth_C^ a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
Prior to using the MC300 I had used the MC150. I had some difficulty hearing dialogue on the MC150 and it didn't seem to match my mains (model sixes). For dialogue the MC300 is far superior. It sounds decent for music also. They have good mid-bass from what I can tell listening to music. As I am not an "audiophile" I couldnt tell you all about how warm they sound or how airy the tweeter is and so on. What I can say is that this speaker is definately a few steps up from the center/surrounds and the MC150.

Purchased At:   Cambridge Soundworks