Boston Acoustics VR 975 Floorstanding Speakers

4.79/5 (39 Reviews) MSRP : $1600.00

The VR975 features a powered, 150-watt, side-firing 10-inch (250mm) Deep Channel Design (DCD) bass unit and a passive 12-inch (305mm) radiator. The VR975 also includes two 4-1/2-inch (115mm) midranges and a 1-inch (25mm) aluminum VR tweeter.

Submitted by arrogantyeti a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2006

Bottom Line:
I was browsing eBay's Boston Acoustics listings, as I tend to do, and saw these babies up for auction without any bids at $500. Thinking to myself "Yeah right, you'll never get 'em" I went ahead and just bid the minimum. Next thing I knew, I was the PROUD owner of these magnificent creations.

I first had these hooked up to a Harman Kardon AVR 135, and was ecstatic about their movie performance. For music, I was generally very pleased indeed for every genre except rock. For whatever reason, there was just something missing when guitars were played and try as I might, I couldn't manage to make it right. I then moved these babies from my college apartment to a larger basement, and hooked them up to just a Technics receiver that I bought a couple years ago, and the difference really was amazing. It pains me to say it, but their music performance is ridiculously better, and it pains me because A) I'm a bit of a Harman/Kardon fan, and B) the dang AVR 135 is just so pretty. I'm not an audio engineer, so I can't presume to say why the sound is so much better, but it may or may not also have something to do with the size difference in the rooms.

But back to the Bostons. I was intrigued by their built-in subwoofer, so naturally that was the first thing I tried out. I wasn't looking for musicality in this test, just raw power, and boy did I find it. I used to own an Athena Technologies AS-P400 sub ("400 watts") and these babies BLEW it out of the water. I kept turning up the volume thinking "Surely they can't handle going louder than this" but they continued to. And let me tell you, everything about these screams musicality. I'm a rocker, so I listen to that much. But I'm also a lover, and they get their fair share of classical, choral, and pretty much everything else (except country). They continue to impress me every time I listen to them. I just sit back and smile.

On movies, they're just as spectacular. I own a hodgepodge of parts, and my center is a Wharfedale Pacific (in beautiful beach wood), and there was a point where a song in the movie was playing through the bostons as mains, and then moves into the center, and my girlfriend looks at me and asks "What did you do to the sound? It's gross." And the Wharfedale is by no means a "bad" speaker...these are just so much better.

Bottom line - These are great speakers with the best of the "Boston Sound".

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by A. J. Cers a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2005

Bottom Line:
In 2001 I was looking for a pair of full-range speakers to complement my new 56" projection TV that could also double for serious music listening. I auditioned a great many brands with similar offerings in this price range (Polk, Infinity, Klipsch, AR) and finally settled on the BA VR975R for the following reasons:

1. They occupy little floor space while filling a very broad role. My TV takes up a wide swath of space and it is advisable to not place bass-producing speakers troo close for it can upset the stability of picture projection calibration. The all-in-one units avoid the need to allocate area for a space-hogging sub!

2. The side-firing powered subs really fill the room with movie bass in L&R stereo, unlike a single sub. Bass response is excellent and really gives you a theater-like experience.

3. The crossovers are sorted out for nearly flat audio response that really shows when you put well-recorded jazz through them. This really sealed it for me because most of the alternatives I tested really exhibited various sound defects when listening critically to well recorded music. I have a Rich Corpolongo jazz CD that has exceptionally well-recorded acoustic bass and piano. It takes only a minute or so to see if a speaker has the stuff to reproduce these two critical instruments well.

Acoustic bass will challenge the accuracy of the low and lower mid-range response of any speaker. Unlike the other competitors I listened to, the VR975s produced a smooth detailed rendition with no artificial coloring or boominess. The subs especially were very tight and balanced with the main drivers. Bass imaging was excellent.

Well recorded jazz piano is also a genuine test of mid-highs. The VR975's passed brilliantly with detailed response without any hint of harshness or tweeter crossover artifacts. Again excellent.

There are surely better speakers for music listening and better ones for home theatre. But for an overall blended role I think these score very high. I have used these for four years and am even more pleased with them now than when I purchased them.

If I have a complaint it is minor... Stereo imaging is pretty sensitive to how far off center you sit. Straight-on center is fabulous. But off-axis response varies and may not be as good as some other choices. But this is a minor quibble. I would not trade its other good qualities for improvement in this area.

Purchased At:   Retailer

Submitted by mnnc a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2005

Bottom Line:
I have to agree that I have experienced some of the same things that other reviewers of the VR975's have written about concerning their sound. First of all I listen to all kinds of music. Mainly rock, fusion jazz, and some pop. At first I was a bit disappointed with the sound of the VR975's. I was expecting a more crisp, higher high-end. Now granted, I have only about 10-15 hours or so of listening time on them since having received them. I soon found out that they are quite sensitive to the type of music being monitored through them. I played my Dave Weckl cd and WOW! Fusion/acid jazz on these things smoke! All in all I am starting to like them more and more with every passing note. They are extremely difficult to beat for the price even if you happened to pay retail. You get two powered subs! great mid and good highs. A bargain indeed. I initially set them up in my spare room/computer room which is 10x12. I later moved them, with help ofcourse, to the living room where they will be used as part of my HT system. These things need breathing room. They sound much better in my larger 20x26 room. Just a side note, I own other BA's currently but not towers as well as Klipsch.

Purchased At:   internet

Submitted by spirone a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
I've been looking to upgrade my speakers for months. I walked into Tweeter to look at the VR950s, which were on sale for $350/pr. I decided to listen to a pair of VR965s ($500.00 sale price) and took a look at the VR975s. What a HUGE difference. After listening to BOSE 701s, Klipsch RFIIIs, and Polk RTi12s, I felt that these speakers answered the mail. They were as good, if not, better than the others (Polk/Klipsch/Bose) and cost me $550.00 with some haggling not to mention they come with a 5yr over the counter warranty thru Tweeter. I couldn't go wrong and didn't. I can play any type of music at all listening levels not to mention they saved me the cost of buying a sub for my home entertainment system. I would highly recommend them to anyone!

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by Chris a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
Great all around speaker for music and movies. Their is nothing out their that can compete with these babys dont listen to the people that bad mouth these speakers or any other good speaker beacause they are just jealous they cant own them. Go get a pair tomorrow and get the 920 center and you will have the best setup around period. Later