Boston Acoustics VR 950 Lynnfield Floorstanding Speakers

4.73/5 (62 Reviews) MSRP : $700.00

Submitted by jamiejade a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
I decided after 13 years with my old "used" speakers, it was time to replace what I had. I really took my time to listen to a variety of speakers to get what I was looking for. I listen to heavy metal mostly, but also stuff like Mariah Carey, Dixie Chicks, etc. My original intention was to get Cerwin Vegas with the 15" woofers. I needed to have the power for my metal I thought. But at age 32, my ear appreciates clarity in my music, more than that "muddy" sound. Don't get me wrong, I need lots of bass, but clean bass. After listening to Paradigm, B&W, Mission, Cerwin Vega, and Energy speakers, it was no contest. These speakers were hands down what I was looking for. You do need a sub to get those thumping bass tones, but I compared these to the next level boston's, and the built in side firing sub muddied up the sound. It was clear the vr950's were better. I believe that this is because it seperates the sound much better. Your lows are seperate from the clarity of the mids and the highs. These have an amazing mid bass sound I never had or heard before. And the tweeter in these things are beautiful and crisp. Not to high to annoy, but a nice crisp sound which does wonders to trumpets, and piano, and acoustic guitars. I played some jazz tonight (Acoustic Alchemy), and I was gushing. I was so proud of my purchase and new I made the right decision. And what the last guy said is true, they sound 10 times better at home! Everyone said, get "Paradigm". Well I say no. These are right for all kinds of music. I bought them at a store made of audiophiles, not a warehouse place. And when we cranked Ozzy Osbourne with the sub, it was something they hadn't experienced before. One salesmen said, "I don't think this is a heavy music speaker". The other 2 salesmen that were present, laughed and said, "Hey, we were cranking Ozzy ans Pantera, Mariah and George Jones, and they sounded great!" My advice is though, you need a sub with these if you want bass thump, but don't let this deter you. Go listen for yourself, with a variety of music styles, you won't be dissapointed. I have these flat on hard wood floors, and I'll tell you, I will praise Boston Acoustics for years to come. By the way, the Cerwin Vegas would be great if you don't have a sub, but add these Boston's to a sub, and it's no contest (even with the rock music). These fill all the areas. Bass with sub, awesome mids and highs from the Boston's = pure heaven! They have a new series out called the vr965 by the way that don't hold a candle to this series. Grab this series while you can. By the way, my price was 900.00 Canadian funds, not US (it would be about 700.00 US by today's dollar).

Purchased At:   Brian Reimer Audio

Submitted by drlazybones a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
Extremely nice sound. Gorgeous highs. Beautiful "warm" sound. I'm still breaking in my early Christmas present!

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by Steven Braun a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
I've had these speakers for about 18 months now. I still love them. They didn't sound so great at the show room. When I took them home to my average sized living room and hooked them up to my high current 100wpc class A/B amplifier and cranked up the volume my heart almost started beating faster. I didn't think they would sound this much better at home. The bass is quite authoratative and rock solid, amazing for 2 5 1/4 bass/lower mid drivers (watch out Bose!)and I have to actually turn down the bass knob a little on the preamp or else it's too much killer bass! The mids and highs are impressive, too! Bring out the violins you can almost "hear" the wood. Like with the bass, I have to turn down the treble knob to mellow out the highs a little i.e. with cd's or else it's too much. These speakers needed to be tamed just a little, but that's no problem especially since it gives me some reserve power i.e. in the bass because I really crank up the volume sometimes and enjoy feeling the high impact sound of these speakers against my chest! Forget the spikes these speakers are best suited to be used without. I did put the speakers on a 1/8 inch thick 12x12 inch aluminum sheet. This seemed to help make the bass a little tighter and more efficient. Now the bottom port is firing on the plate instead of into the carpet. It was a good tweak!

These speakers are not for the weak and those who like plush boomy tinny sound. They are for true music lovers who enjoy the "right" sound. Sometimes the sound appears to become a little washed out after a few minutes of high volume listening. I believe this is not coming from the speakers but from the ears getting an over dose of audio adrenaline! Occasionally I notice a little bit of distortion especially with deeper bass passages at high volume, still amazimg what these speakers can do. When I say high volume I mean driving the high current stereo amp to the threshold of clipping. I usually keep the volume slightly below this point when I'm really getting into the music, then everything is just right and my ears and the speakers are not being abused yet still getting a decent dose of high sound pressure levels. Yes, these speakers are more efficient than most. They are perfectly capable of filling an average size living room with great loud sound i.e. when properly placed.

Purchased At:   Magnolia HiFi

Submitted by jobenterprise a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
After much research and listening time. We purchased our BA VR950s which we also included the center and subwoofer, to setup our home theatre/music room and are just thrilled with viewing/listening to DVDs, CDs, you name it. We are so thrilled and many have come by and said and I quote, "What is that sound, I just got to have it", it really sounds fantastic, I never heard that before!". My bother who has the VR975 just had to have the VR950 to replace his JBL rear. We just love them, what do we go to work for anyway, it's all meaningless in the end, so enjoy now while it's still day. If you're really looking for a great, fantastic, above average sound and great price, get these, you won't regret it.

Purchased At:   Ultimate Electronics

Submitted by imprimus a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
I started on a speaker listening spree about 3 months ago, going to the various stores in my area and checking out everything they had in my price range ($300 - $800). I listened to boston acoustics, klipsch, definitive tech, bose (blegh), polk, jamo, and a couple of others that weren't worth recalling. My main point of pursuit with a set of speakers is clarity, and after auditioning all the above brands, none had the perfect clarity and reproduction that the boston speakers possessed. The tweeter in these speakers is truly a fine piece of work.
I recently bought these speakers, hooked them up to a Yamaha RX-V630 reciever and have been listening to them pretty steadily for the last couple of days. I'm still *really* impressed by the clarity of sound, and I've been throwing cds at them like mad, just out of curiosity to see what they sound like. Time will tell if they break in well, but so far I'm loving what I hear.

Purchased At:   le salle electronics