Boston Acoustics VR 500 Floorstanding Speakers

4.92/5 (12 Reviews) MSRP : $600.00

10-inch, 100-watt, powered subwoofer

Submitted by orlando torres a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2000

Bottom Line:
This subwoofer exceeded my expectations. It performs great on movies and music. Very smooth, clean and packs a punch. The VR2000 did not impress me. It's sound is too thick with weak transient response. The HSU VTF2 is good on sound effects on movies but lacks overall. The VR500 is an excellent buy. Highly recommended!

Submitted by Jimmy Mac a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
Tight and fast. I use one up front in the HT with a VR-2000 in the corner. Very effective! I use the other in a smaller music only system with Boston CR-8s. Great sound for the dollar. Give the CR-8s time to lossen up and the value sems even better.

Purchased At:   Magnolia Hi-Fi

Submitted by Damien McMurray a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
Well, I have used this sub for a couple of years, knowing the quality behind BA, but had no idea when I compared it to subs owned by friends... My Vr500 can hang with the medium market twelves (and even outperforms a 15 or two) with it's great smoothness and depth (!) and with the measurements of my room, I have actually measured it (-4dB) going down to 24 Hz. It's not very location dependent, and me, being the never-satisfied person that I am, went and purchased the Sunfire True Subwoofer Junior, and after comparing the two, I don't know if I want to let my VR500 go on the aution I already placed it on (dummy->me) to help me recover from the $800 purchase of the Sunfire. While the sunfire is a great piece of equipment, the VR500 is HIGHLY under rated... 100 Watts my A$$. More like two or three times that much. It must use a very efficient driver or BA lied and said it's rated at 100W min RMS. If you aren't into gimmicky subs and you want a great sub for a decent price, find an idiot like me that's letting his go (I love the design behind the Sunfire, and I already bought it) get it, no questions asked... NOW!!! 350-400 bucks if you look.

Submitted by Doug miller a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
Hard to believe this is a ten inch, 100 watt sub. It goes low, 27 hz. This sub is so subtle and smooth, you don't know it's working until the room vibrates. I don't live in an earthquake prone area either. Best sub in it's class easily.

Submitted by Jamie a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is my 3rd try at a sub and I've definately found the one I've been looking for. I enjoy heavy, tight bass and this sub delivers like none that I've heard in it's price range. I got it at a local store for $328.00 and couldn't be happier. DVDs in DD/DTS sound nothing short of awesome, all of my Jazz cd's come alive. Even my 12" singles from my days as a DJ at a dance-club sound new and fresh. I did minimal tweaking of the crossover and never moved the sub from it from it's original location. The bass is tight, balanced and smooth. Reminds me of my friend's B&O sub rated at over 1000 watts. I listened to the new BA Powervent subs alongside this one and couldn't find a reason to spend the extra $$$$. Even the Definitive Technology subs (sold in the same store) couldn't bring me to consider them. I had expected to spend $500-$700 for a sub and got a great surprise when I found this one. It's out of production for about 5 months as I write this, but if you can find one....grab it! (BA told me the new PV series we're changed to bottom firing only because they didn't have to put a grill on them)