Boston Acoustics VR 30 Floorstanding Speakers

4.36/5 (14 Reviews) MSRP : $800.00

(2) 7" Woofers and 1" Tweeter (1994-1998)

Submitted by Frank a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2016

Bottom Line:
Just scored a pair of these for $50 at a local thrift shop (in Montreal). Only issue was that one of the plastic feet was split, which we glued.

They sound great! Until today I've always had to settle for crappy speakers. At age 44 I finally own a pair of decent speakers.

My Magnepan dream is still out of reach but these will keep me happy in the meantime!

Submitted by Rich a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2016

Bottom Line:
My wife and I purchased in 1995 as our 1st anniversary gift to each other along with a Definitive Technologies Subwoofer. WOW! We have rocked these speakers 20 years now and we could not have been happier with the quality, image, and versatility.

If you can find them, Buy Them.... If you have them, take care and fix them when needed.

I decided to post because I started getting a buzz at 30-170Hz and found about an inch of the foam surround had separated. I simply reglued as the foam and cone are in perfect shape.
My wife is a musician and likes to listen to everything from classical to Jazz, while I am more of a Rock & Roll guy who tries to test the neighbors complaint level on volume.
We have an RX-A1030 receiver that we purchased last year and these speakers can handle everything it dishes out.

We both love movies and it was the low frequency information in a sound track that signaled the separated surround. Across Movies, Chicago Symphony, Nat King Cole, Led Zeppelin, Phish, Tom Petty, Grateful Dead bootlegs with big bass bombs, and most recently the techno-folk of Django Django... These speakers have exceeded our expectations.

I was so happy to find the source of the buzz and fix them, not because I can't afford new speakers, but because I love these so much and have brought me decades of happiness.
That is why I felt compelled to post this.

Submitted by romeo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2006

Bottom Line:
Best home speakers at this price.

Purchased At:   High end seller

Submitted by Bob Hedberg a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2005

Bottom Line:
These marvelous speakers have been with me for a number of years, and are like old friends to me. As I experiment with various speakers, I go back the these, and am impressed with their outstanding value and enjoyment.
I decided to get new speakers on the later 90's. I first got Polks, and after a week in my home, the sizzle and basssss turned into irritation, so brought them back for B&W 603's. They were too laid back and uninvolving, so I ended up with the least appealing set left in the showroom - the Boston Acoustics VR 30's. Boy did I call that wrong. After living with the VR30's and really listening to them, I realized they were head and shoulders above the prior speakers. They are just plain listenable. They have great dynamics, are very efficient (93dbm), image ok, have great bass, and look great. I drive them with tube amps, and the synergy is there. If you want a nice reliable set of HT or listening speakers, and have a budget, these speakers are a great choice. This goes especially for tube amps, but any low power amp will drive them with ease.
I don't know of any brightness in them, but then again, I use tube stuff. I also managed to get a fax of the crossover from BA, and rebuilt the crossovers with alpha foil chokes, and Solen caps. I also have them on spikes, canted back a few degrees. They stay at least a foot from the wall.
What a great set of speakers. They can rock, ooze sultry jazz, produce nice classical, and do explosions quiet well.
What more can I ask?

Purchased At:   Meyer Emco

Submitted by notfaded1 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
Read the other reviews about a little bright, come on these VR30's based on the original $5000 Lynfield design were so far ahead of their time. They are TIGHT! The can take power and don't distort period. If you can find them BUY THEM... you won't be sorry.

Purchased At:   Audiofile Distribute