Boston Acoustics VR 30 Floorstanding Speakers

4.25/5 (12 Reviews) MSRP : $800.00

(2) 7" Woofers and 1" Tweeter (1994-1998)

Submitted by romeo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2006

Bottom Line:
Best home speakers at this price.

Purchased At:   High end seller

Submitted by Bob Hedberg a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2005

Bottom Line:
These marvelous speakers have been with me for a number of years, and are like old friends to me. As I experiment with various speakers, I go back the these, and am impressed with their outstanding value and enjoyment.
I decided to get new speakers on the later 90's. I first got Polks, and after a week in my home, the sizzle and basssss turned into irritation, so brought them back for B&W 603's. They were too laid back and uninvolving, so I ended up with the least appealing set left in the showroom - the Boston Acoustics VR 30's. Boy did I call that wrong. After living with the VR30's and really listening to them, I realized they were head and shoulders above the prior speakers. They are just plain listenable. They have great dynamics, are very efficient (93dbm), image ok, have great bass, and look great. I drive them with tube amps, and the synergy is there. If you want a nice reliable set of HT or listening speakers, and have a budget, these speakers are a great choice. This goes especially for tube amps, but any low power amp will drive them with ease.
I don't know of any brightness in them, but then again, I use tube stuff. I also managed to get a fax of the crossover from BA, and rebuilt the crossovers with alpha foil chokes, and Solen caps. I also have them on spikes, canted back a few degrees. They stay at least a foot from the wall.
What a great set of speakers. They can rock, ooze sultry jazz, produce nice classical, and do explosions quiet well.
What more can I ask?

Purchased At:   Meyer Emco

Submitted by notfaded1 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
Read the other reviews about a little bright, come on these VR30's based on the original $5000 Lynfield design were so far ahead of their time. They are TIGHT! The can take power and don't distort period. If you can find them BUY THEM... you won't be sorry.

Purchased At:   Audiofile Distribute

Submitted by Dean Weninger a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have had these speakers for about 4.5 years I also have the vr 12 center speaker, and the cr 8 for the rear speakers. One thing I can say about these speakers is that they can take a huge amount of power, I'm running three QSC 2450 amps on my five speakers ( 500 watts per speaker into 8 ohm), these speaker can play very loud without stress. The vr tweeters are slightly bright but not overly, the bass is tight and fast ( it out pound me friends two home subs) for movies these speakers are great they bring out the sounds with great presence and punch,
For music I would say that they are not to bad, very acurate with some brightness at very high volumes ( above 115 db). highly recomended

Purchased At:   Audio Warehouse

Submitted by Danny a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
i've had these speakers for about for years now and they impress me with the natural sound they produce,i would highly recommend buying these if you can find them used somewhere that sells preowned higher end equipment.