Boston Acoustics System10K Floorstanding Speakers

The Micro Reference System10k consists of five Micro100x speakers. Each Micro100x speaker is enclosed in die-cast aluminum--a material chosen for its rigidity and density. The Micro100x is a txo-way system, which utilizes a 5 1/4-inch (135mm) bass and a 1-inch black-anodized aluminum tweeter with AMD™ (Amplitude Modification Device).

Submitted by drlazybones a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
I just bought 3 micro100x from Tweeter. I'm using 1 for center and 2 for surround. I have the BA VR940 front L/R speakers.

As an initial sound test, I hooked up the micros to the front channels and played some music on them, then compared them to the VR940s on the same track.

The micro100s hold up very well. They have almost as much hi frequency detail and clarity as the larger speakers. For "satellites", they have a very impressive sound and can reach quite deep. Their midrange is restricted, and the bass reproduction simply cannot be compared to a floorstanding loudspeaker.

Submitted by Mark a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
While in the market for a 6.1 system, I immediately chose the Bose acoustimass 16 system primarily because of their size and marketing. I ventured to many different stores in search of a good price and stumbled into a bestbuy that was demoing them along side infinity and various others. I could not believe the superior sound difference of all the competitors. I started to do more research and found the Bostons Sys10K at tweeter and fell in love with them. I already own a JBL 12 powered sub and also I purchased a BA VR910 to round out the entire surround 6.1. I could not be happier. I did purchase them open box and there were no brackets with them. I tried to find aftermarket brackets with no luck. I tired the Omnimount 20's (ball) brackets for maximum move ability but the threads were not correct. I ended up ordering new ones straight from BA.

Submitted by Carleton a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
Combined with a full price $700 PV800, this clearance priced sub sat combo cannot be beat, even at retail price of $1500. Too bad Boston is discontinuing this line due to tepid sales. QUality is unmatched for movies and music. The problem is that the sticker shock combined with the "too large for a mini sat system" and "too small to be noticed by the floorstanding crowd" made these speakers underperform in sales. I was lucky to get a floor model for cheap. Despite probably two years of floor demos at Tweeter, this product sounds fantastic. Cheers to Boston Acoustics.

Submitted by Al Maxwell a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
Wow! I've placed the 10K's with a new Denon 3802, a BA PV800 sub and a Toshiba 42H81. The sound from these speakers is incredible - highs, mids, and even lows. I have a relatively small room (12.5' x 14')for my HT. I attempted to persuade the wife to consider higher end gear for the front left, right and center(BA or Klipsch floors and comparable center), but elected to use 5 10K's for complete SS as a "compromise." Best "decision" I've made in a while. Even without the sub, the 10K's are superb. With the sub, the room shakes. From classical to rock (I'm an old "Kiss Army" member - God, I'm old), I give these "satellites" the highest marks. I had a pair of JBL fronts, and Bose surrounds - never again. Please shop around, the prices vary widely.

Purchased At:   Hi-Fi Buys

Submitted by joe tarlecky a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
first off let's say this is one hell of a system. when i demoed these in the store the system actually sounded flat to me. i myself like alot of crystal clear highs. i think it had to do with the setup. i'm running them with a technics sa-da10n and a panasonic dvdrp-91n. bought them with pv800 subwoofer. seems to me that a speaker either performs well in dolby or music but not both. i would have to say i love these for both. i don't think that you can find anything in the price range that sounds this good. excellent balance between the sub and mid and the highs sing right through. the tweeters are sweet ferrofluid cooled and a nice size heatsink on the back to disperse heat. would have liked to be able to bi amp the speakers.

Purchased At:   tweeter nh