Boston Acoustics CR 8 Floorstanding Speakers

4.63/5 (41 Reviews) MSRP : $340.00

7" Woofer and 1" Tweeter

Submitted by kelik22 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2004

Bottom Line:
these replaced some old bose 301s. now i know what i was missing all these years!the bose 301s have i limited range. the CR8s go much higher with much more detail. they have a crisp and clean, yet mellow sound. maybe a tad shy in the lower freqs. i have mine on 24" steel floorstands and they really sound impressive. i have CR6s in the rears and 5 channel stereo sounds enveloping. a good dolby digital dvd will have you jumping off the couch!

Submitted by Mike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is a straight-forward, sonically neutral speaker with tendencies more toward rock than jazz or classical. The bass is somewhat hollow though, but placement can manipulate the results quite a bit. Good value for those who like hard-hitting, clean sounding speakers for a reasonable price. Try Dire Strait's Money for Nothing on these speakers, and turn it up loud!

Purchased At:   Audio Corner

Submitted by Andy906 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased the CR8s around 5 years ago, and they've been a great little set of speakers. I used them as my mains for several years while in college, and they were definitely up to the task. They're a bit light on bass if used in that capacity, but their detail and imaging are excellent.

I liked these speakers so much that I eventually bought more Boston speakers for my new mains and center. I moved these to the rear, and I still enjoy their sound.

Also, some people complain about the metal grille. Yes, it is a little more difficult to take off than a normal fabric cover and I guess it could get dented. However, I think the metal grille actually provides a little more protection against kids/pets etc. so I don't mind them at all. Mine still look new after 5+ years.

These speakers were replaced by the CR85's, so if you want CR8's you'll have to look on the auction sites.

Purchased At:   Magnolia Hi-Fi

Submitted by Robinson John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
My first set of speakers but after listening to every speaker in Victoria in this price range the Boston Acoustics CR 85 did the best job of both music and movie.

Purchased At:   Sound Hounds

Submitted by Artur a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
These are wonderful little speakers. I have owned a $1400 PSB stratus Silvers before but they sounded "muddy" compared to these, or maybe my room was too small for PSBs. Anyway, the difference between PSBs and Bostons is as if you "clean up the windows and let the sun in". Percussion, guitars, cymbals, all so alive and clean. Detail detail and detail. The guy at the store I bought them in was right "you won't believe their sound". However, I noticed that they lacked bass when I was auditioning them in much larger store room. However, as soon as I brought them home they just sounded great in my room with great tight bass ! My advice, buy a subwoofer if you have a large room. Also, they may sound a bit "edgy" or "harsh" in high frequencies with some more "agressive" amplifiers. Overall, great performers for good price.

Purchased At:   commercial electroni