Boston Acoustics CR 400 Floorstanding Speakers

4.06/5 (17 Reviews) MSRP : $400.00

Powered Subwoofer - Vented 8" Driver - 75W Amplifier

Submitted by Adam Omelianchuk a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2014

Bottom Line:
I've had my CR-400 since high school (I am now in my 30s), and it has been worth every penny. Most subs I tested at the time of purchase simply did not sound that good as they were sloppy and overbearing. This fills in the lows nicely that my NHT SuperOne's (book shelf speakers) can't hit. Placement is key for best results, of course. My only complaints is that the auto start up feature isn't as sensitive as it used to be, and it not easy to tune (this is probably due to my own ineptitude, though). If you can find one on ebay or at a pawn shop and are looking to beef up a system comprised of computer or bookshelf speakers, this is perfect. You will need a B channel on your amp or a sub output of course.

Submitted by kalstewart1971 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2009

Bottom Line:
I picked up the Boston Acoustic CR400 from a local pawn shop. I was actually surprised to find a BA subwoofer in this area, because of the lack of popularity. However, the moment that I saw the subwoofer I knew that I had to have it. Currently, I have a 5.1 system and I wanted to up the ante by adding a second subwoofer that comparatively matches my first subwoofer and to make my system a 5.2. What a great addition the sub made to my room. I do not have a very large room, but with proper placement and tuning (volume at 10 o'clock and crossover at 125 Hz), you cannot beat this deal. The bass is perfect and the volume is dialed in just enough to make the room shake, if I so desire.
I paid $50 to $75 bucks for this sub and I am glad that I did. If I can make a suggestion, its not about how loud or how much bass it can produce, but the main concern should be does it mate well with your current system and making sure that you aren't asking a 8" sub to do the job of a 15" sub. Thanks for reading.

Submitted by Lee Keith a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2004

Bottom Line:
Part of Home Theatre System. Placement critical; must be in a corner or results will not be as good as they could be. Have had some popping sounds and they seem to be related to either the volume control or the frequency control; in shop now for repair. Have new Onkyo TX-SR602 7.1 receiver to upgrade my system; will report again once system is operational. All in all, high quality performance for a reasonable price. Subwoofer is paired with (4) CR6's and a Boston Acoustics center channel speaker.

Purchased At:   Greensboro, NC

Submitted by Scott a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
Two woofer's in 4 years. Not happy!

Submitted by Dave Etchells a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 29, 1999

Bottom Line:
We recently went shopping for a sub-woofer for my son's stereo. (Time for Dad to move his office out of the adjacent bedroom!) We looked at a fair range of units, most out of our price range. The CR400 didn't have the power of some, but also didn't have the high price. This is a late-breaking tip for people: BA is apparently just now (November/December 1999) discontinuing this model, so you can find some *killer* deals on them. We paid $199 (!) for a new-in-box unit from our local HiFi Buys, and at that price it's a phenomenal deal. While lacking the power to deliver belly-thumping bass for home theater in a large room, in my son's smallish bedroom, I have NO doubt that there'll be PLENTY of bass to go around! Buy fast though, as it seems stock in the channel is about exhausted!

Yamaha CR-400

Found this little piece on CL. Pretty good shape and my first piece of older Yamaha gear. Who knows where it will go but the price was right........:yesnod:Read More »