Boston Acoustics CR 400 Floorstanding Speakers

4.06/5 (16 Reviews) MSRP : $400.00

Powered Subwoofer - Vented 8" Driver - 75W Amplifier

Submitted by kalstewart1971 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2009

Bottom Line:
I picked up the Boston Acoustic CR400 from a local pawn shop. I was actually surprised to find a BA subwoofer in this area, because of the lack of popularity. However, the moment that I saw the subwoofer I knew that I had to have it. Currently, I have a 5.1 system and I wanted to up the ante by adding a second subwoofer that comparatively matches my first subwoofer and to make my system a 5.2. What a great addition the sub made to my room. I do not have a very large room, but with proper placement and tuning (volume at 10 o'clock and crossover at 125 Hz), you cannot beat this deal. The bass is perfect and the volume is dialed in just enough to make the room shake, if I so desire.
I paid $50 to $75 bucks for this sub and I am glad that I did. If I can make a suggestion, its not about how loud or how much bass it can produce, but the main concern should be does it mate well with your current system and making sure that you aren't asking a 8" sub to do the job of a 15" sub. Thanks for reading.

Submitted by Lee Keith a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2004

Bottom Line:
Part of Home Theatre System. Placement critical; must be in a corner or results will not be as good as they could be. Have had some popping sounds and they seem to be related to either the volume control or the frequency control; in shop now for repair. Have new Onkyo TX-SR602 7.1 receiver to upgrade my system; will report again once system is operational. All in all, high quality performance for a reasonable price. Subwoofer is paired with (4) CR6's and a Boston Acoustics center channel speaker.

Purchased At:   Greensboro, NC

Submitted by Scott a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
Two woofer's in 4 years. Not happy!

Submitted by Dave Etchells a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 29, 1999

Bottom Line:
We recently went shopping for a sub-woofer for my son's stereo. (Time for Dad to move his office out of the adjacent bedroom!) We looked at a fair range of units, most out of our price range. The CR400 didn't have the power of some, but also didn't have the high price. This is a late-breaking tip for people: BA is apparently just now (November/December 1999) discontinuing this model, so you can find some *killer* deals on them. We paid $199 (!) for a new-in-box unit from our local HiFi Buys, and at that price it's a phenomenal deal. While lacking the power to deliver belly-thumping bass for home theater in a large room, in my son's smallish bedroom, I have NO doubt that there'll be PLENTY of bass to go around! Buy fast though, as it seems stock in the channel is about exhausted!

Submitted by Manuel Acevedo a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 31, 1999

Bottom Line:
Just for clear out, I think that message from Mr. Miguel Restrepo was wrongly posted here (he is talking about another BA speakers). About the CR400 my opinion is that this sub is very good for the price, maybe the best in this size. Of course, there are better subwoofers but there are more expensive.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Yamaha CR-400

Found this little piece on CL. Pretty good shape and my first piece of older Yamaha gear. Who knows where it will go but the price was right........:yesnod:Read More »