Bose 601
Description: Discontinued Bose speakers (1977-1981)

Submitted by Paul T a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2016

Bottom Line:
It's been a while since I last posted on here, my last review was of the Bose 701 series 1 I paid £1000 for them, full uk price from Roy pollards...In my review I slated the build quality and the sound which to me just didn't cut the mustard for a thousand pound set of speakers, To be honest at times with the right music the sound was unreal esp the bass but the chip board was of very low grade and the speaker felt very flimsy and I felt somewhat ripped off! I vowed at the time to never buy any of the new Bose as they was nothing like the old stuff they produced...Fast forward to 2015 and New Year's Eve I seen a pair of Bose 601 series 3 for sale on the net...I called the guy up and he didn't even know the model number of the speakers but I knew what they was from the pictures..it was a full rack system with Bose speakers £100...I thought it was a wind up until I turned up at his house and it was an immaculate pair of 601 series 3 speakers and a full rack system! ...I knew the 601 was meant to be amazing sounding speakers so I made the long journey New Year's Eve to pick them up!
Was I disappointed when I got back? NO I wasn't!
I hooked them up and it Was like Bose repaid me back for the rubbish experience I had with the 701s, I played everything through them from 50 cent to the heaviest dub step to classical and what I heard was amazing! How can a set of speakers from the 80s play the complex frequencies of today's tracks? And play them so well? No exaggeration you can feel the bass when you crank them up! But people don't realise 2x8 inch in each speakers is a combined 16 inch each speaker! That would be a big ass drive unit for any speaker! I'm not a bass freak but I do like a full bass and the 601s do not disappoint, I've owned the 802 series 2 pro speakers and they blow them to bits...They play vinyl very well, they play vocals beautifully, sometimes a little slow and lazy for today's stuff but still sound awesome to my ears.
Excellent build quality, and I mean excellent, Not like the crap you buy from Bose today! I'm very impressed with these, I feel like i have my dream sound at last! I know there are other amazing speakers out there, but we have to choose one to be in our life and make us happy, I choose the 1987 Bose 601 when Bose made outstanding speakers and actually cared what they was giving people for their money..Very happy with my sound.

Submitted by jim c a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2015

Bottom Line:
Great speakers and still working.I painted the speakers. Looking to sell 250.00

Submitted by zohar zohar a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2014

Bottom Line:
if you have the bose 601 you don need all thouse sattelites speakers - you got the best trully soround in one side and precize sound in mater of locations of the orchestral instrument and the precize sound with the real bass when it in the music and not second before.
in my leaving room i almost dont know where are the speakers becouse the sound is all over from wall to wall and from flor to ceiling but as i said still the precize locatins of the orchestral instruments.
just today i started to thing about what would be when those speker would gone and i search for same sound but no loudspeaker like that today so i have to keep them strongly know there is no substitute.
last word - amazing loudspeakers!!!!!!!

Submitted by victor rugg a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2014

Bottom Line:
today is the last day I will hear my 601 III I bought them new in 1987 and have loved them for years. I am moving and have M&W matrix and Carver A III in my two main systems in the house. These ended up in the garage so I had great sounds while I worked on my several cars. Walm,rich detailed sound. Never needed any repair. I know why they are selling for more than I paid for them, ever buy a used Bertram from the 60's Not quite the same thing but you get the idea. Buy them you will love them

Submitted by Morrev a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2012

Bottom Line:
To start with the fact i always kept my hands off Bose because of the critics in most of the reviews that can be found. As i could buy a bose 601 series III set for about 50 euro's from someone, who even warned me not to buy them, i gave it a go.

At home i plugged them in on my small amp, 105 w channel, started a cd and walked towards another room. When it started to play i had to turn arround because i was truely amazed, quite shocked honestly, by the warm sound and detail that was blown through the room. I sat down and enjoyed it for a bit, with a big grin all over my face.
Next thing was to hook it up on my main amp which values about 250 w channel and they seemed to 'open' even more with a fabulous high tone, classic mid and a bass level that fits it all.

I owned, and listened, a lot of speakers but this discovery got me almost emotional.
Since that day they stand where i set them up, awaiting compagnon from another set i hope to purchase soon.

Probably the lack of a decent amp or the later Bose generations make some people haters.
The 601 III concept was way ahead for it's era, it handles all kinds of music but is very sensitive to the quality of recordings as the sounds seperately are very detailed.

If you see them for sale, buy magic!
Thanks for reading