Bose 802 Series 2 Floorstanding Speakers

3.98/5 (40 Reviews) MSRP : $1955.00

(See reviews)

Submitted by Ron Edwards a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2016

Bottom Line:
Bose 802-III
These are the best I have found for my huge orchestrated tracks or live use with vocals.
Smooth and no dead spots in response. The L1 model II has great coverage but does not sound as good as these with a QSC PLX 1104 amp and Bose SP-24 controller.
Plus you would need 2 L1 systems to get any type of stereo effect.
At a cost of $5000 no thanks. I bought NOS for a fraction of that.

Submitted by David Wayne a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2015

Bottom Line:
I've been playing music for 45 years. I'm a solo acoustic guitarist. I've used Peavy, JBL, and various other systems. Always looking for that ideal "sound" that the speakers should have. Through various combinations of equipment, I have found that the Bose 802 Series II are the closest. I have two speakers and use them in stereo with a Berhinger amp and a Mackie Board, and the accompanying EQ box that has no controls on it.
I use them in small, intimate settings like a winery tasting room, and also in large, outdoor areas like a huge Farmer's Market. Turned almost half-way up, they can be heard very well almost 5 blocks away. I bought these used, and have been using them for about 10 years. I get many compliments on the sound, and I have absolutely nothing bad to say about them.

Submitted by sunidayze a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2010

Bottom Line:
Hi guys,

Since many of you have used these speakers in perhaps a variety of setups.. I am asking for your much needed help.

I have 4 x Bose 802 Series II only. I would love to power them and get the best from their usage. I intend to use them in my living room mainly for karaoke and if good enough to listen to music with them.. maybe even for movies too if that could be done.

As for the controller, I heard that the Panaray Digital System Controller can not be used with the Series II, only with the Series III - is this true?

If I cant use the Panaray, will the old controller be just as good? I also dont have any cables / wires.

What else would I need to set it up for my inteneded use? I have no experience with equipment so details would help very much.

Thank you and very much appreciated.

Submitted by MICHAEL WALTERS a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have been a professional sound consultant, system designer and integrator since the late 70's. I have used 802's sucessfully in probably 100 venues, from air shows where 8 each 802's spread out over a quarter mile flight line fed intelligible sound to 100,000 people, and when I watched the evening news telecast, the reporter was doing interviews from the front gate of the airbase, over a mile away and you could hear the Bose 802, clear, and intelligibly! Even the Blue Angels were impressed. On the other extreme I tacked a 3000 seat domed church worship center, alone an acoustical nightmare. With with some intelligent acoustic baffles that I had designed, 4 arrayed Bose 802 pairs with 2 Bose 502 subs, were able to perform an amazng flat 20hz-15khz within 1 db across the entire room! Rich, sweet, strong vocals, and the professional percussionist said it was the tightest bass he had ever heard!

I have heard all the naysayers about the Bose 802 array speakers. I also have witnessed many unsatisfied users who discarded the true beauty of these speakers. I ran into many who used graphic equalizers instead of the absolutely necessary 802 EQ as Bose use to call it before they redefined it as a "controller" The controller is the heart of the system.

If you never had satisfactory results let me challenge you to do the following. Never connect a graphic eq in the chain with an 802. Instead use a quality Feedback exterminator such as a Sabine, along with the Bose controller. It keeps the signal chain clean and harmonically transparent and you will get more control and sonic power . It makes all the difference. Not getting enough sound! Stack them! 2-3-4 high!

No doubt Bose excels in vocal intelligibility. At a new worship facility grand opening, after much wrestling to get my design accepted, the minister asked to meet me after the opening service where he commended me saying." Our largest benefactor, who had hardly darkened the church doors for years said he would be coming back, all due to the fact that he could hear the message clearly, without the sound system rattling his hearing aid!

Yes there are some great speakers out there, but the 802 has its place if and only if they are set up correctly! Naysayers just never heard an 802 set up correctly!

Submitted by XTC a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have used the 802's only when they have been supplied and could'nt for whatever reason use other speakers. If they were so great why do most Pa hire companies shy away from them? I think people who swear by them may not have heard "real" pa systems and are using the 802"s for vocals and instruments which do not require serious volume and clarity. I don't have any "beef with bose its just that there are better speakers for the same money, JBL,EV RCF etc. In short "no highs no lows thats bose"