B.I.C. America V636 Floorstanding Speakers

4.38/5 (24 Reviews)

Tower Speaker

Submitted by KDC a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
Hello, well here i'm writing this review while listening to my dv-736's and let me tell you i love what i hear i've had them for five months now and from right out of the box's i knew i had found an exceptional value wow!! beautiful low end wonderful mids and perfect highs i have listened to many speakers by various mfg but i have to say i'm sold on bic america just a great speaker in fact i am so happy with these i am planing on buying another pair for my liveing room oh by the way i also have the bic dv-62clr-s and it also is just as great sounding as the towers my speakers have never been modified and
i plan not to do so... not because of the warranty but because i like the way they sound.

Purchased At:   av pro net

Submitted by dirk benedict a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
Let me clarify changing the capacitor like Raymond mentions
does fix this speaker. changing to a 1.5 cap sets the cross over of the tweeter at 2800 (originally it was around 1700)
this causes the brightness all 3 speakers are producing the 1700-3000 frequencies. changing to a 1.5 cap changes the lobing of frequencies to 2800-3000 this effectively flattens the sound.. of course there are other ways to do this if you are not handy with a soldering iron.. just make a zoebel and place it in between the positive line going into the tweeter. If you want to know more. get a speaker builders guide at any local library. As far as doing anything else to the crossovers..there isnt much else you can do..EXCEPT turn the 2 way speaker system into a 3-way system.. No real benefit. just a bit more freq. dedication for indivdual drivers. You may also want to buy better woofers than the oems. Parts express has 6.5 woofers from 19-39.. replace the lower or replace them both.. a much better product. Remember most manufacturers of loadspeakers put in the most cost effective units in their enclosures that will give them an EXCEPTABLE product.. not necessarily the best.
Final thought: there are only 3 ways to modify 2-way speakers.. changing values on the crossover, putting zoebels and chokes in the speaker leads, Or replacing the driver units themselves. Capacitors (to set crossover for the tweeter) are about a $1 (mylar caps (better) about $3) Resistors (to choke off the woofer) $1-$4. I dont know of any miracle that can be performed to make these speakers sound better. They are what they are. Get some books on speaker building before ever attempting to modify ANY LOUDSPEAKER!

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by Alan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this pair of DV736 speakers from Returnbuy.com via Ebay. They seemed to be electronically as new and had just a few dents along the rear edges. They sounded pretty nice but way too bright. I don't know if they've been broken in.
I tried Raymond's quick cheap fix described in his review and was disappointed. The excessive brightness was gone but the overall sound was really flat. So I sent the crossovers to Ed Frias. I just got them back and like other reviewers, I couldn't be more pleased. Every CD I play sounds better than ever!
I'm currently using a Denon AV receiver a few years old
in stereo mode.

Purchased At:   EBay

Submitted by Raymond a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have these DV-736 Tower speakers for a couple of weeks. I love the out look. I have noticed the brightness is too stronge. I open the back plate and replace the 2.7uF/100V High Pass filter Cap to 1.5uF/100V(I also try 1uF to 2uF Cap, $1). Now, it seens I got balance sound. And I got more Bass after the mod. I use Technics DA-SA10N receiver ($199/Fry's) with double fans on the back for cooling(orginal design problem). For the money spent, I believe BIC is the best choice. I recomend these for anyone wanting great sound for cheap. I email BIC, they told me that any mod is out of their 7 years warrenty. But, after the mod, they can compete with my brother's Energy Tower speakers ($1000). If you want to make it even better, go to speakerbuilding.com. They'll tell you how.

Purchased At:   Yahoo Shopping

Submitted by MIKE HATLEY a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
I'VE HAD THESE SPEAKERS FOR ABOUT 6 MONTHS. AT FIRST I DID NOT HAVE A SUB BUT AFTER LISTENING TO THEM FOR ABOUT THREE MONTHS I DECIDED FOR MY TASTE THEY NEEDED A LITTLE HELP FILLING IN THE LOW END MAINLY AT LOW LISTENING LEVELS. SO I BOUGHT A VERY INEXPENSIVE 10" RCA SUB FROM RADIO SHACK $150.00 AND WITH A LITTLE POLY FILL WAS ABLE TAME IT TO MY TASTE WHICH WORKED NICELY. THESE SPEAKERS WHEN PLACED PROPERLY VOCALS SOUND LIKE THEY ARE COMING FROM THE CENTER CHANNEL SPEAKER. I RECENTLY ELEVATED THE FRONT OF THE SPEAKERS SLIGHTLY IT GAVE THEM THE AMBIEANCE I THOUGHT THEY WERE MISSING IN MY LISTENING AREA 17 X 17 LIVING ROOM WITH RECESSED CELING. IF ANYBODY HAS ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS ALSO CURIOUS TO HERE FROM PEOPLE THAT HAVE HAD THIER CROSSOVERS MODIFIED. THANKS EMAIL mwh1218@yahoo.com

Purchased At:   UBID