B.I.C. America V-636 Floorstanding Speakers

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

Ported floor-standing speaker

Submitted by Tom Yau a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2000

Bottom Line:
I was totally floored by the sound that came out of these speakers. I bought this speaker for my home theater setup while looking at reviews for the BIC636. Despite the ubid problems it seemed that all the users were very happy with the sound quality. First, let me specify that I paid $54 per speaker plus the ubid vig for shipping which brought the total to about $180. I wanted to replace the Paradigm Titans which produced too small a sound for HT. There was not enough presence in the music which is an inherent problem in smaller speakers. The BIC 736's not only provided more presence but gave the highs a level of detail that was missing from the Paradigms. I am not comparing a floor standing tower to a bookshelf speaker, this is just an observation I am conveying. VH1 now sounds more lively and has more kick and sounds more musical than ever. I decided to test this speaker for music. Although I have a mid-fi system consisting of HK PT2500-PA5800 combo, Polk Rt2000p speakers, and a Pioneer 301 disc changer for music upstairs. I decided to test these speakers for music. I put on the Candlebox CD and the Beatles 1 cd. The guitars on the Candlebox cd were crisp and distinguishable while the bass proved punchy. The imaging was also quite distinct. You can almost pinpoint where the sounds are coming from. The low lows were handled by a Dahlquist 12" sub so I do not know how they sound alone. I also need to mention that the highs may sound tinny out of the box but improves dramatically with only a few hours of break-in. Next on the Beatles cd, the vocals were natural sounding as well as the pianos on Lady Madonna and Let it be. Although there are better sounding speakers out there. You cannot touch a speaker of this quality (also excellent workmanship) for much more. I have yet to see this in a store. Both Jand R and Capital Audio in NY carry BIC but they do not have this speaker in their line. So watch out for this speaker being offered on ubid. Buy a pair and match with their Model 62 center channel which has been rated as one of the best cc speakers ever made regardless of price. 38hz response for a cc speaker. Kudos to BIC.

Purchased At:   ubid

Submitted by sixtox a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the newer BIC V736 speakers. I had requested this speaker be added to the list of BIC speakers but it doesn't look like anyone is running this site.

These speakers do not deserve to be sold on uBid for the price they are going for. I have seen some auctions where people paid as little as $49.00 a speaker (before shipping). The MSRP is $450.00 a pair, and even this is a steal. These speakers sound excellent. They blow away my old Bose 601's which I thought were good speakers. The bass extension for 2 6.5" woofers is awesome. I know this has been said before, but I am hearing things in the music I never heard before. I can hear the delicate tapping of a drumstick on a cymbal. Acoustic guitar sounds totally natural. The Bose gave everything a warm sound, I now realize this was distortion. If you are limited on funds and want excellent sounding speakers I would definitely look into BIC. Their center channel and surround/bookshelf speakers sound great as well and are an excellent value. Something I cannot say for Bose.

Purchased At:   uBid

Submitted by William Lloyd a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 27, 1999

Bottom Line:
I was looking for inexpensive speakers for my sister-in-law's system and happened upon an older rave review by Julian Hirsch of BIC's model just below this one. I tried them and they were impressive for the miniscule price, but the drivers were quite small and delicate. I then tried this model, and was FLOORED by their quality for the money. There are two "midwoofers" in a D'Appolto array 'round a dome tweeter. These things produce deep tight bass and smooth midrange and treble response. They are a steal at the price.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile