B.I.C. America B.I.C. V1200 Floorstanding Speakers

4.14/5 (7 Reviews)

12 inch 170 watt powered sub

Submitted by Albert a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2014

Bottom Line:
I have one for sale for 100 bucks out in Mesa Arizona on Craig's list this is the best sub woofer I ever ownd I did find adding insulation 1 1/2 inch thick foam pads on the sides plus a 4" thick foam pad in the middle made my bass hit even harder yet response time and sound like almost perfect Iv used the v-1200 in a home room studio and tell ya what this is more then what I need yet loved the opition to adjust volume plus frequency was the best the Venturi v-1200 by b.i.c America for the price tag I got it for was the best $100.00 bucks I ever spent yet it's still in super clean working condition.If you come across thies for a good price don't think twice you'll be kicking your self later on.

Submitted by Tommy C a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
Having had this sub for over 2 years now (think I paid 3-something), I purchaced it when Pro-logig was the rage, and Subs were a rather substantial investment. That being the case, the Velodyne's and JBL's were absurdly expensive! SO...here I am throwing my 1.5 cents worth in.

I can't quite get this sub just right. There is a definate "sweet spot" in my room, which is 11X14X8. The floors are Wood, with a popcorn ceiling. I have tried virtually every position for the sub, as it found a nice home in the front left corner 3" from the side wall and 5" from the Front wall. Why so detail specific, you ask? Well; In my listening area (2 seats 11' from the front wall) the Bass is right where you would expect to hear a sub, Low, deep, and not at all punchy. But...If you STAND, or move more than a foot away from the listening seat, the bass dissapears! POOF, WHERED DA DANG BASS GO? Its not being cancelled from my mains as they are no where near the frequency! (NHT 1.5's) I have friends with Velodyne's and this is not a problem, even with wood floors in simalarly sized rooms, with similar furnishings! If anyone else has one of these (and is reading this), see if you can notice it yourself. Move around the room with a test song playing (I used rap for the slow consistant bass rolls..cost me 10 bucks, email me and Ill give it to you!) and notice the difference in depth and punchiness. Sit in position and have your "wife" move the sub around (my wife did this while I sat in my listening area with a glass of wine..really!) untill you hear the most flowing bass, play with the polarity switch, but leave volume and crossover pointed at noon untill you find the right spot, than you can adjust to the rest of the system.
Now that you all know how it was set, I dont think placement should be "that" important. it isnt with the more costly subs, so Im assuming it has to do with design/frequency tuning of the enclosure. Since I have owned it for almost 3 years, and feel it has performed admirably after finding it's sweet spot, I may experiment with a different driver, and silicone the internals for minimal resonance. (since I own it, and would rather spend money on a quality amp to drive the NHT's).

Summary: For the money, especialy for what you could buy one today for, It's a hard piece to beat. I rewired the outlet through a conditioner and gave it a seperate breaker, and that alliviated the humming. The popping is still there (you'll just ignore it over time!) I have glued rubber pads to the feet for a solid "mount" to the floor (a rediculous oversight by BIC), and have basically forgot about it for a few years due to seeming integrated with the system. My advice, If you can get a steal on a Velodyne, buy it. If not, get a steal on the BIC and spend your money on quality main speakers. Of course, If you only watch movies than you probably wouldnt notice the isiosyncrocies of this sub.

Submitted by Joe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up posting. I have been pleased with the performance but found the hum, mentioned by a previous review, seemingly getting louder. I called BIC support 1-888-242-4551 (Jeff)...very nice and helpful, and found they were aware of the hum and had a fix. They sent a transformer shield with instructions to fix the problem. While inside I found only 2 pieces of sound insulation. I added some fiberglass insulation to fill up the cabinet and wooooow. The base tightened significantly especially on music, and movies... Saving Private Ryan (tank scene track 19) absolutely was amazing. If you are even slightly handy, the fix and insulation is easy and well worth the effort. Sorry for skewing the rating but this is even a better 5 star than before.

Submitted by Joe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
Purchased on uBid for $207 delivered. Have been very pleased thus far. It seems better for home theater than general music listening, however it is still pretty musical. It did improve dramatically when I hooked it up to the Monster sub cable (Highly recommended for whatever sub you use). Certainly there are better subs out there, but you will pay for them. For my application this is the best bang for the buck I've seen. The audiophile may scoff, but I recommended highly.

Submitted by Jamie Hillier a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
Not a bad subwoofer, but that popping really can get on your nerves. When ever you turn a fan off or on in the house, the thing pops. I bought a Monster Cable power bar and the severity of the popping has lessened. Thinking of upgrading to a B&W sub or Velodyne, but they are so damn expensive compared to the 1200. Sounds great with home theatre and ok with music.
two rca inputs, speaker crossovers, auto, off and on power switch. rev and normal woofer settings. all the features of an expensive sub without the price.
like all the other reviews, if you see it, buy it. the popping noise is a bit annoying, but when you are sitting down watching a movie, the job more than adequately gets done.