B.I.C. America Venturi DV-64
Description: <ul> <li>5-way video shielded tower speaker system</li> <li>Two 6.5" active woofers</li> <li>Rich, black woodgrain cabinet</li> <li>Freq resp: 29 Hz-21 kHz with 3 kHz crossover</li> <li>Undistorted amp power: 10W-200W, 90 dB at 1W, 1m</li> </ul>

Submitted by Dave R a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2012

Bottom Line:
These speakers have a far better sound than you would expect from the price. They are well built and produce very good sound.

As has been noted in the reviews on many sites, they are very bright sounding but not unpleasantly so. I had been using some fairly old 3-way speakers that had 10" woofers but wanted something that took up less space. With 6.5" drivers in the BICs, the bass is not quite as deep but I'm using them with a subwoofer so that pretty much takes care of it.

I did notice that the sound did not seem as full in the room which seemed to be mostly a mid-range issue. I sent my crossovers to Ed Frias (EFE Technology) in Prescott, AZ based on other reviews for his modifications. The difference is quite noticeable. A much stronger mid-range and a much fuller, room-filling sound.

Ed is a very helpful guy and really seems to know audio. I ordered a new center from him as well (a modified BIC DV62CLR-S) and that also sounds great.

Overall I'd highly recommend these speakers and I'd also recommend getting the crossovers modified. I didn't realize it when I bought the DV64s but Ed also sells those speakers directly. When you get them from Ed they already have the crossover mods but they also have matched drivers and probably a few other tweaks. If I were doing it over, I'd just buy them directly from Ed.