B&W Matrix 803 Floorstanding Speakers

2-Way Speaker with Bass Alignment Filter (1990-1993)

Submitted by Ron Wichin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have had these speakers for a few years now and they still amaze me. i am using them more for home theater and the base response from them due to the large cabinet size is great. I sometimes think about trading them for something else but then i cant imagine anything sounding better without spending a ton of money.

Submitted by Aldrage B. Cooper, III a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 9, 1998

Bottom Line:
Last week I traded up for a better speaker. The B&W Matrix 805's were traded in for the B&W Matrix 803. The extra money was worth it. Although the 803's run $3000/pair, the sound quality and bass response are better than any speakers I hqave ever heard in someone's house. Indeed there are probably speakers out there that are better sounding than the B&W Matrix 803 (802,801 come to mind but I did not want to shell out $4000 for 802 or $5500 for the 801).
I listened to music and watched a movie in Dolby Digital and am very happy with my decision. The movie Backdraft was viewed on my Denon DVD player and powered by the Denon AVR 5600. Absolutely fabulous. The base is soo good and realistic sounding that the subwoofer that I have - an M&K model - does not really add much to the sound. Without a doubt the B&W Matrix 803 are very good speakers and I highly recommend at least giving them a listen even if you're not able to spend the $3000.

B&W MAtrix 803 Serie 2

Hello, I am new th this forum and would like an opinion on using a B&W Matrix 803 Series 2 speaker as the main speakers in a home theater. I can get a decent deal on these and undertsand they are excellent for music but what about movies as well?Read More »