B&W DM 804S
Description: 3 way floor standing speaker- SIgnature series.

Submitted by SoundsGood 101 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2008

Bottom Line:
This Review is for the 803S rather then 804S.

When I heard the 703 I was blown away, and the 803S inproved upon this. More high extension and lack of hard screaming "E"s often found with other speakers. The midrange as well as everything else is very detailed. What still blows me away is the 3D "standing in front of me in real life" imaging and stage size. They are driven by a Bryston B100 SST and are completely neutral, changing character with different music. At first I thought it was the Bryston making the 3D image that fools people into thinking there are hidden speakers but since some others have mentioned the same with different sources, I think it may be just the speakers honesty. It's great.

What I didn't find appealing was the "ping-ding" the metal tweeter does, but it hasn't distracted me.

Purchased At:   Canada

Submitted by canth a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2008

Bottom Line:
Last year, I wanted to upgrade my speaker, which were JM-Lab 716 S. These speakers are very nice (see my review of them), but I wanted to know if there was more. Because I was satisfied with the JM-Lab, and my budget was around 5000 euros, I automatically had to listen to the 1027BE. For comparison I auditioned a pair of 804s next to the JM-Labs.
I found the JM-Lab to have a slightly better mid-range and treble. However, the bass extension was a bit looser than the 804s. In the end, the difference was not big enough to justify the 1000 euro price difference between the two. Especially since I found a second hand pair of 804s speakers in just the color I wanted.

Summurized, this speaker has a sweet high end, and a very nice and tight bass extension. The speaker does sound slightly warm, which indicated that the mid-range might be a bit coloured. I however like this particular kind of colouration.

In short, a definitive step up from the JM-Lab 716s (they better be, considering the price difference)

Submitted by marcus_helsinki a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2007

Bottom Line:
a loudspeaker which has great qualities but also weaknesses. Consider these weaknesses considering your music taste before you buy.

Purchased At:   -