B&W DM602.5 S3
Description: The DM602.5 S3 is the entry-level floorstander of the range and a new model for Series 3. <br><br> Superficially incorporating the same drive units as the bookshelf DM601 S3, the bass / midrange in fact uses a larger magnet. Together with the larger cabinet volume, this gives a more extended bass response with a different free-field alignment, more suited to the floorstanding format. <br><br> As with all the systems in the range, new style terminals are fitted that allow the connection of 6mm (¼-in) spades yet still allow insertion of large gauge stripped end wire up to 6mm conductor diameter in the side hole. <br><br> Ideal for small to medium size rooms, the elegantly slim DM602.5 S3 eliminates the need for a separate stand and retains a compact footprint. Combine it with LCR60 S3 at centre in home theatre systems.

Submitted by rockran a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2006

Bottom Line:
What a great speaker. I have an Onkyo SR603 receiver and I audtioned both the DM603 and the 602.5. Both speakers are quite hard to drive and with the SR603 the DM603 just didn't have the range I was looking for. At the dealer I had to use the SR803 to get better range with the 603 and since I was not getting the SR803 this was a no brainer.

Instead the 602.5 sounded rich and full. Excellent mid-range and tight and precise highs. I'm a Mark Knopfler/Dire Straits fan and they sound awesome on these speakers. Mark's throaty voice and this guitar twangs couldn't sound better. Have to admit that I use these speakers with an ASW600 sub and without the sub the base is lacking but then I haven't quite broken them in yet.

To top it all up the finish is amazing

Yes these speakers do have a longish break in time but heck I've got another 400 CDs to run through.

Purchased At:   Harvey Norman

Submitted by extraultralowbass a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2004

Bottom Line:
another marketing hype and magazine scam.
i was very skeptical about these "super" speakers.i have heard again b&w in past and was very dissapointed.

this thing has nothing to do with high fidelity.totally unbalanced and muddy mid highs.

i don't understand how a company with such a name produes so crappy stuff.

everything is marketing and advertising.

Submitted by Bandeeta a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2003

Bottom Line:
Fantastic speakers. Beautiful looking, nice, high quality construction.
On jazz music every instrument plays very good, piano, bass, drums, wind instruments, etc. rulz! And with all types of music hearing these speakers is a joy!
But! ALL speakers with a KEVLAR membrane NEEDS AT LEAST 1 MONTH of DRIVE-IN TIME! "advdg" don't hade to bring back after only 5 days! In the beginning sounds every kevlar-speaker not good!
And it is rockstable even at quite high volumes too.
I just can quote "gummy": "These speakers have taken a very long time to break in and have changed dramatically in that time."

Submitted by gummy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
After listening to many speakers I compromised and brought the 602.5.My wife is a musician and liked the sound of the B&W over the others. These will be used as our rear channel later on as we intend to by the 604's for the front. These speakers have taken a very long time to break in and have changed dramatically in that time. The mid range is still a bit recessed but getting better.The deep bass is a little prominent and the treble a fraction harsh but is also improving. I use the bungs to tune the bass and that helps but placement is much more important. Overall the speakers are very smooth and have a laid back sound. I can't wait til we get the 604's as these are very strong in all the areas the 602.5 are weak. Not good for loud rock music.
My system is HK AVR 5500, Sony SACD,Velodyne FA1800Rii Sub

Purchased At:   monsoon

Submitted by advdg a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
Hi, I’m from Holland and at first I will apologise for my writing in English! Perhaps it’s not correct, but I think my message is quite clear.
I bought these speakers together with the DM303, LCR3, the Marantz DV6200 and the Marantz SR6300. I was planning to buy the DM309, but for a few Euro’s more I could be the owner of the DM602,5. They sounded a bit cleaner and calmer then the DM309, so I thought that should be right for me, because I like to play it loud! I had to wait for a week and a half before these speakers were delivered at my home. During this period I had some old Infinity’s to fill up the surroundsystem as frontspeaker. They sounded very good, but I could not wait before my DM602.5 could replace them! They would give me the sound I dreamed and saved the money for! You can not believe how disappointed I was after plugging in the B&W’s and playing them on a descent volume! This was not the speaker I wanted! They sounded very out of balance (like they were “blown up” already) and they didn’t fill up my room! If you understand what I mean. Replacing them in my room, turning them at diverse angles and even checking them out on a lighter amp didn’t make any difference. Just like what’s written in other reviews; these speakers do not have a proper “mid”. When you play them softly with “easy music” they are doing a quite good job, but not that what you may aspect from a speaker what cost that kind of money! The give a deep bass and a good treble, but between this there’s a lot of distortion! You can here that better when you turn up the volume a bit! It gives a lot of noise but no proper sound! In Holland we say: “It sounds like it come out of a can!” On a higher volume, the bass boomed the neighbour downstairs out of his chair, and I even did not notice that! To be short, this speakers didn’t fulfil my expectations and after five days of trying I decided to bring them back! A few hours of listening (I even checked out the DM602 and DM601 and tried the DM309 again but I wasn’t impressed anymore) I was overwhelmed by the sound of the Infinity Alpha 40! The had everything the DM602,5 didn’t have. They are also very calm, they are verrrrrry good in balance and they have a good, but no bumpy bass. The sound is very good at low volume (you can hear every detail!) and they live up when you give them more power. Before I took them with me, I checked them out on the same equipment I have at home (you should always do this! I did not at the first time!) and they were more amazing! At home, they sounded great and I do not regret my decision for turning in my DM602,5! The Alpha 40 fills up my room at any volume! You give them a position in your room and they wil play!!!
By the way, I kept my B&W DM303 because there great (in proportion: they sounded even better as a frontspeaker than the DM602,5! Good balance and very bright; no Infinity good enough to replace them!) and the LCR3 also does a good job in combination with the Alpha 40!!

Purchased At:   680 Euro