B&W DM 605 S2
Description: (2) 7" Woofers, 7" Mid-Range and 1" Tweeter - 130W Amplifier

Submitted by lanzjosephqtbaby a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2011

Bottom Line:
B&W's are known for the world's best sounding speakers. I've owned a few B&W's and other speakers to date but these were the best speakers I've heard, in my lifetime and budget, so far. Interchanging between amps, pairing it with Densen Beat-100's, a vintage Sansui G-900 and sometimes a Harman Kardon HK 3480, the result was always the same - an accurate reproduction of the full-range of sounds makes you feel as if you are in the studio with the artist/s, band or group, and even the orchestra singing and making their music. The deep tight bass, the crystal clear details of the mid and the great nautilus tweeter all works very well in harmony which makes the music very rich and warm and life-like. If I had a bigger house and more of this speaker, I'd have my own musical hall...cheers!

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by dcmulli a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2005

Bottom Line:
I listen to music more than home theater but I'm please with how well these speakers handle both. B&W has always been known for its transparent and neutral response with music. This is why I was surprised how robustly they(605-S2) handled home theater material. The bass response is shocking. I did not expect 4 - 7 1/2" woofers to reach levels that loud or that deep. The advantages I noticed right away a better dispursion of upper bass(not localize like you sometimes get with a typical corner placed sub) and very tight deep bass response. Not muddy or boomy even with explosions or low bass musical parts. Being amplified(130w each), with crossover and output adjustments, the bass end of these speakers is well covered. With the right setting, the subs can blend harmoniously with outstanding midrange and Nautilus tweeters.

Purchased At:   Home Scape Innovatio

Submitted by phil_spr a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers as to be the mains in a hi fi/home theater setup in a new large family room. I also have a pair of b&w 603 S1's that use in another system, so I knew that I already liked the B&W sound. I read the reviews here and on the B&W site, took a big chance and bought these off the internet (used for 1000/pr) without hearing them...

I can't begin to express how much I love these speakers. HUGE, controlled BASS, smooth mids and highs and extremely listenable at both low and high volumes. I have a bass reference tune (Pink Floyd, Yet Another Movie) that has sent virtually every sub-$1500 pairs of speakers that I have listened to into convulsions. The 605's don't even break a sweat when playing it! I am doing the standard audio geek think and playing back all of my CD's (eclectic with large doses of alt metal, classic rock, dance, female singers and folk/acoustic) and rediscovering how great they all sound on the 605's.

The one weakness that I would point out is that they do not image as well as some other stand mounters I have listened to. However, if you are looking for gutsy, extremely enjoyable, LOUD, affordable speakers, then look no further (as long as your room is reasonably large).

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by WARWICK a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
best all round speaker I have ever owned

Purchased At:   hifi acoustics

Submitted by Todd a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
I searched for years before I could afford a serious set of speakers. When I heard them I feel in love. I continued to shop around but they were clearly the speakers for me. The soundstage is incredible. Whether listening to classical or rock you would almost swear the orchestra is in the room with you. The sound seems to pour from the walls. I really enjoy the integrated amps as I do not have room for a sub. Loud is an understatement, they can be deafing, but never lack clairity. The price is not unreasonable considering the fact that they will last much longer than most marriages. Matched with an LCR6 S2 and pair of 602 S2 in the rear around a 55" HDTV, I would rather stay home than go to the movies. I highly recommend them.

Purchased At:   Hoyt Stereo, Jax Bea