B&W 804 Floorstanding Speakers

4.5/5 (16 Reviews)

Submitted by musicenthusiast a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2016

Bottom Line:
very good hi-end with clear and enjoyable highs, extremely open midrange which can get offensive and a tight, deep but somewhat confusing bass. all in all very open with a tiny little bit of warmth. can get strenuous. very delicate on partnering with amps, sources and cables. price is clearly to high up even for this quality, as you have capable competitors for much less in the market. and then the new 804D3 is even dearer !

Submitted by marcus_helsinki a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2006

Bottom Line:
Summary:
good for midrange detail revealing, but not for everyday nice listening

Purchased At:   0

Submitted by Humping_Poast a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
I think my system is finally done, for now. I've had been for a while, slightly disappointed with my former DM604 S2's but had not been willing to really admit it, or take any steps towards buying anything better. But when a chance to get a pair of these for $2100 presented itself, it seemed like the opportunity I needed and not the kind of thing to pass up. I went back the next day and bought them.

Now, don't get me wrong, the 604s are still a great speaker for the price, but working at a dealer that sells the Vienna and Sonus Faber lines had me constantly aware that no matter what I used to run the 604s, that they would never cross the boundaries into the high-end realm.

When I got the 804s home the differences weren't as immediate as I had hoped for them to be. I guess it was me being too eager to HEAR a difference instantly... I was trying too hard. Then as I spun a few more tracks, subtle nuances began to obviate themselves in a way the 604s never had. I noticed for the first time, a prolonged decay on crash cymbals, strings sounded more true to life, and piano recordings rang through with an eerie realism. THIS is what I had been longing for all along.

The bass response is also quite formidable for a relatively small speaker. They have a strong presence down to around 35Hz in my room. Tympani and concert bass ring through with power and clarity. My "vintage" Velodyne ULD-15 takes care of the rest.

All in all I'm very happy with them. And I will no longer say my equipment is outclassing mt speakers (the older 604s)

My system:
Surrounds: DM-601 S2

Purchased At:   Audio Images

Submitted by henry14 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
After looking at a number of B & W speakers, you really have to move up to a 802 to find a speaker significantly better. The only difference between this and a 804 is the cabinet and price. Even an 803 is not significantly better. I strongly recommend this speaker in the B & W line until you can move into a 802.

The sound improves with age. The speakers have a heavy or bass sound. They are so good I've purchased 4 more to round out my home theater system and replace my Infinity Interlude IL-40. I use two ACI Titan Le II sub woofers for the low ranges. My crossover is 40 hz. I use a Lexcon MC-12, a HTM-1 center, 2 Bryston 4B-ST, and a Bryston 6B-ST with the CDM 9 NT as the mains.

I would buy a 802 but it is too big for my room. I strongly recommend the CDM 9 NT.

Best regards-Henry

Purchased At:   Sound Advice

Submitted by Rocinante2012 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
Just wanted to drop a quick line saying that I truly enjoyed the break in period. They drop the "throaty" quality they have out of the box and imaging settles beautifully. I loved witnessing this process and almost miss it... almost.

Purchased At:   Almas Hi-Fi in Detoi