Avantgarde Trio Floorstanding Speakers

Submitted by myfly a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2006

Bottom Line:
I recently came into the market for new speakers. I auditioned various mid to high end speakers including Martin Logans, Linns, Focal, B&W, Pro Ac and various others. There is no point in trying to describe what I heard, suffice to say that after several hours of listening, I was able to pull myself away from the MUSIC. Going back to the other speakers brought out the lack of enjoyment that these provided. Frequency response, separation, height, depth etc lost their relevance. The Avantgarde's are dynamic and true-to-life while all the other speakers sound compressed and lifeless.
Don't take anyone's word for it, go and listen, but be aware that there is no going back.

Purchased At:   considering buying

Submitted by sky1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
Audio enthusiasts by there very nature are forward looking people -- there is always something better on the horizon. Well, I am not so sure anymore.

I heard the Avantgarde Trio's yesterday for almost 2 hours at the new Avantgarde showroom in Manhattan (by appointment only). I had really gone to listen to the Uno's since I dont have the space in my apartment for anything larger -- and Bob (the store's owner) suggested I start by listening to the Trio's. His trio's are hooked up to the Audio Aero Capitole CD player and the Audiopax amp (both wonderful products by the way) and high-quality cables and the like. More importantly, the Trio's are mated with a couple of pairs of basshorns (as opposed to sub-woofers; the Trio's with two pairs of basshorns are $70K list price).

The sound from this system -- I have heard before -- but only at live concerts. Well recorded CDs like an acoustic piece Bob played as well as my MFSL Louis Armstrong/Duke Ellington disc and JVC's Hell Freezes Over XRCD sounded LIKE the real thing. You wont believe me but -- Don Henley was standing right in front of me with Felder to his left and Walsh to his right.

There really is nothing more to say -- it was absolutely wonderful to be in the same room as Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Don Henley, Mark Knopfler, Tracy Chapman and Diana Krall -- and at the same time!!! The music just seemed to flow and the soundstaging and imaging were unlike any other speaker I have ever heard (including the $70K JM Lab Grande Utopias). The only thing better would be to be at the actual concert. Other than that, barring minor tweeks, I am not sure its possible to improve music reproduction at home any more than this.

So being the forward looking audio enthusiast I am, I think I am going to settle for the Uno's now and start saving to move into a bigger place so that I can eventually get the Trio's some day.

Purchased At:   Avantgarde Showroom

Submitted by Webster Andi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
I´ve heard this Speaker only one time, at the "High End" in Frankfurt - for a few minutes.
All I can say is: It was the only Speaker, of maybe thousands, which created the illusion of "Reality" - without any compromise. At the same moment you closed your eyes - the speakers were gone and a big band established itself in the room. It was really unbelievable!!

I´ve !!never!! heard a performance like this again!

PS: forgive my bad english :-)

Purchased At:   0

Submitted by Steve Crisp a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
Question: What does the best loudspeaker in the world sound like?

Answer: Totally silent. Like every other loudspeaker would sound unless its fed a signal, and then it will sound like the signal its fed plus the reflections from the room in which its installed.

If you want to know how a speaker really sounds, you'll need to a live microphone feed and an anechoic chamber.

Which brings me to the Avantgarde Trio. Certainly the finest loudspeaker I've ever heard, in any installation, anywhere. I'm lucky enough to own a pair and have learned over the past 18 months just what this loudspeaker is capable of.

Then tonight I logged on to the Audioreview website and read 2 or 3 reviews which give this loudspeaker 1 or 2 stars. Now I'm not saying that those reviewers are telling lies or even that they didn't hear what they did. I am saying though that in terms of the Trio's performance, their reviews are completely inaccurate. The Trio can sound awful when fed an appropriately awful signal and that is inevitably what these reviewers heard.

That's a real shame for 2 reasons. Firstly because they (or their friends) have paid for and own one of the finest loudspeakers in the World, yet obtain only mediocre results and secondly because their very public review may prevent others who had considered a Trio, from ever visiting a dealer or importer to listen to these incredible loudspeakers. I hope my review goes some way to avoid at least the latter.

Back to my Trios. Here are some of the things I have learnt after 18 months.

The Trio is completely transparent of the signal its fed. Take a good amp without major design errors, some good OFC cables, a clean source, spend some time getting the speaker position, toe-in and sub-woofer settings correct (very important) and the speakers will already fill a room with incredible levels of music.

Refine the installation with an excellent source, some refined but gutsy tube electronics and a few room treatments to take care of first reflections and performance is elevated into the reference class. If there's any trace of bass discontinuity or treble glare, look to the room, cables, electronics or sub-woofer settings.

And more is available. With an exceptional source like SACD, an all-triode output CD player like the BAT VKD5 or a well set up TT, top flight electronics, for example BAT, CARY, LAMM, EAR, Wavelength and some of the better low power SET designs and some well matched cables like the expensive but truly excellent Nirvanas and the Trios will reach a level of music reproduction that 99% of audiophiles did not think possible.

The Trios have certain characteristics. They are lightening fast and transparent like the best electrostatics but with dynamics that honstly have to be heard to be believed. But far beyond that they have a fundamental musicality that makes them an absolute joy to listen to. They do all the audiophile things like imaging and soundstage with aplomb, but way beyond that they place the musicians in your room with enough reality to constantly thrill. Music is revealed in a totally new dimension. One that thrills the spirit as well as the head. You'll marvel at the virtuosity of musicians and at the beautiful textures of their instruments. And you'll be amazed at the music's power and drive and at the emotions it evokes. You'll stop concentrating on the music and simply let yourself be enveloped and absorbed; swept away on its wings.

But to get this requires some work. You won't take a pair of Trios, throw them down in your room and obtain instant perfection. They need well matched partnering components with minimal aberrations, proper positioning relative to the listener and above all, they need to be installed in a system without major set-up errors and flaws.

So how will you know when you've got them right? Because you'll sit for hours completely mesmerized by the music and when its over, you'll be left craving for more.

Unfortunately the Trios are not cheap but since their performance ranks well beyond speakers at double their price I guess they do represent something like reasonable value. Purely in terms of the enjoyment they have brought me, I'd say they were worth every penny.

Submitted by Tom Ciborowski a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a review of how what supposedly is an outstanding speaker system can sound horrible. The system I heard the Advantgarde Trio's in consisted of an Antique Audio integrated tube amplifier with a Sony SACD player and all the fancy cables and power cords and vibration isolators.
The acoustic glare was so bad that after 5 minutes my ears ached. The soundstage was flat and the stereo separation was comparable to two spot lights blasting at you.
It would appear to me that one would need to be positioned at least 30 feet away from the speakers for the sound to get into phase. One should be very cautious about matching the rest of their system to these speakers. Room placement is also critical. Based on the previous reviews, I would really like to hear these speakers with compatible equipment and properly set up.

Purchased At:   Listened @ friend's house

Adrian Belew Power Trio - Live!!

Check out this full, one hour concert. Great video and audio, what a fantastic combo these guys are. [url]http://www.blip.tv/file/1805509?filename=Abpt_fan-TheAdrianBelewPowerTrioAtRockpalast701.flv[/url] [IMG]http://www.krimson-news.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/ade_gears1.jpg[/IMG]Read More »

California Guitar Trio on PBS

Our local PBS station has been running a show called On Canvas. Featured in one of these airings is a half hour segment with interviews and music from their last performance at the Sellersville Theater. The local station here is WHYY. Anyone able to catch this program?Read More »

Swish- California Guitar Trio

Swish, anyone- have you seen these guys perform? I caught them at the Sellersville Theater Saturday night and was blown away at what they do. Although none are from California, they met and formed there. I actually bought my tickets to see the opening act, One Alternative who they only gave enough t ... Read More »

FS : Harman Kardon Trio A224 Tubes

I've got a nice Harman Kardon tubes amplifier, this amplifier has been repaired, the speakers plugs in the back are all new. I bought some Mesa Tubes and some Electro-Harmonix to replace to old one. This is in GREAT condition for the age, the cage and front is in great condition. Selling it for only ... Read More »

Hectic Watermelon-Post Zappa Commando Rock Trio

Hectic Watermelon-Post Zappa Commando Rock Trio This is THE BEST Instrumental rock I have heard in quite some time. Jerry Goodman of the Dregs guest stars. The recording is stellar and the composition and playing is just amazing. You can check it out at Abstract Logix here: [url]http://ww ... Read More »