Aura LINE SOURCE LST-827 Floorstanding Speakers

4.4/5 (10 Reviews)

TOWER, DI-POLE TWEETER/8" WOOFER

Submitted by Joshua Ricca a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
I got these for $150 just over a year ago. Couldn't pass them up for the price. They sound good, and are worth the money I paid for them. I currently swapped them as the mains in my stereo for a pair of Paradigm Atoms on stands, because I'm in college and my room is small. The 8" woofers seemed rather slow to me, but I could really drive this system nicely if some of the pressure of the low end was taken off the woofers (so they didn't flap so wildly) and routed to the sub. Lack of a midrange driver is masked rather well, but still noticable. They're not worldclass by any means, but you'd be hard pressed to beat them for the prices they've been going for.

Submitted by Tommy C a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2000

Bottom Line:
These are pretty good speakers for the money. I, too sucumbed to the 37.00 UBID hooplah! Figured I couldnt turn them down at that price. (BY THE WAY...37.00 AT UBID MEANS 150.00 WITH THE SHIPPING FOR THE PAIR)I kind of knew this before I ordered, but figureed for 150, Ill try a pair of ribbons.

On with the review!

these replaced my NHT's for this audition, but I had to keep thinking what these were worth, and what the NHT's are worth! The Bass is supprisingly tight, and the highs can get up there. the big downfall is the mids have been attempted to blended between an 8" woofer and a 2" ribbon! the result is better than average for an 8 + tweet. The mids still get a bit garbled and directional, but overall they do a above average job, especially for the price. Im going to sell them for excactly what I paid for them, and someone will get a great deal! I just cant part with the NHT's they are clearly in another league than this speaker, but they are also tops in THIER leage of under 800.00 bookshelves.

Summary- If your looking for a speaker that reproduces music with crystal clean detail, these probably wont satisfy your needs (but you wouldnt be looking at 200.00 pair speakers, either!) If you want a speaker that looks really cool, has very decent build quality, 5 way binding posts, a high quality woofer, and be able to blast the snot out it without the snap-crackle-pop, than this is a hard speaker to beat for the money.

If I could give it a 6 for value, I would.

Submitted by Doug a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2000

Bottom Line:
Was watching UBID when I saw a slug of these up for auction. Probably the best audio bargain I ever bought. $37 each! Wow. Wow. The only better bargain was some lucky stiffs actually got these for $27!!

Have used Optimus LX5's as main speakers in my system for several years. I Really like them a lot, but they tend to be a bit short on base being as they are only bookshelf sized. The 827's however combine the di-pole tweeter strength of the LX5's with a huge boost in bass. Not that the base was critical because I use an amplified subwoofer anyway. But, at $37 each I couldn't resist these. In fact I got giddy when I saw how cheap they were going for.

So, now I've moved the LX5's to rear position and the Aura's to the front. These sonically match well to the LX's for a truly amazing sound at essentially give away prices. Such a good deal I may have to go bid on some more as I've seen them pop up on UBID a couple of times this past week at about the same price range. The only negative is maybe they look a bit odd with the tweeter sitting on top of their case - but at the price I should complain??? A value rating of 5 stars for these at the price I paid is injustice. Give'em a 10!

Submitted by Mark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2000

Bottom Line:
When these speakers arrived the first thing I noticed is that they come with either rubber feet or metal "spikes" for the bottom. It's something you see often in very high priced speakers, never in anything I cold afford! I'm using them as the rear speakers with my Denon 2400. It's nice to have some real bass from back there for a change. In 5 channel stereo, it's very plain that these speakers have a Quality crossover in them. The highs are much smoother than my wall mounted LX5's. The highs reach you clearly no matter where you are in the room! Which means they don't have to be directly facing you to be effective. I was aware of this company before ubid and could not believe my eyes when I saw them at auction. Thanks AURA and Thanks ubid! If I could give a value rating of 10, I would.

Submitted by Doug a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2000

Bottom Line:
I got these on ubid for $106/pair, delivered. These are a great value for the price. They sound clean with wonderful bass.

I have no complaints. I don't know enough about music to give a detailed review, I just like what I like. And I like these speakers. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a great deal on tower speakers.