Audio Physic Libra Floorstanding Speakers

4.67/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $7495.00

Three-way floor standing speaker One inch fabric diaphragm tweeter Treated paper midrange unit Anti-vibration reinforcement shell cabinet construction Push-push dual bass configuration with ultra long-throw bass drivers

Submitted by Albert GRosfeld a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2010

Bottom Line:
review will follow next week in April.

Submitted by Butterdog a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
As a previous owner of the virgo 2`s, it is my opinion that the libra`s are a much, much better sounding speaker. As used Libra`s can be found for around $3000 they represent, imo, one of the very best deals in hi-end audio out there. However, they probably demand a larger listening room than the virgos to get the most out of them.

Purchased At:   audiogon

Submitted by Rick R a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
When I was auditioning speakers, I kept coming back to the Audio Physic Virgos because of their amazing imaging and soundstage, coupled with a warm, natural sound. I was about to buy a pair, when I was able to audtion the Libras. I was immediatly struck by all the characteristics I liked in the Virgo, plus substantially better bass.

I have had the Libra's in two different 2 channel systems with wonderful results. I was fortunate enough to have a 25' X 15'listening room where I could pull them 1/3rd into the room, along the long side of the room and use a couch against the wall as the listening spot. Incredible imaging and soundstage.

I now have them in a Home Theater system with an AP Celsius center channel and the AP Yara monitors for the rear surrounds. It sounds great, but for 2 channel, the Libra's by themselves can't be beat.

Purchased At:   Brooks Berdan

Submitted by Peter Ritsema a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2000

Bottom Line:
I saw and heard the Libra's for the first time 2 years ago. Something in me told me I wanted to have them but I hesitated untill last month. It was a lot of money and my KEf's sounded very well. I doubted whether I could hear sufficient difference to justify the money. I did bought the Libra's last month and added MIT 330 series III to it. The Libra's sound better by the day. They have good bass and do not lack anywhere in the frequency range. When I close my eyes the music is right in the middle and I do not hear separate loudspeakers. I am very happy with these speakers and consider them worth every penny. I can't see any reason anymore for further upgrades so they will stay at my home for a long, long time. When you also think about Libra's, the only thing to consider is that these speakers are not small. I have a big room, so they fit well, but when you have a small room, figure out whether they are not too big.

Purchased At:   Wilbert, Utrecht, NL

Submitted by Dave a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
These speakers are just what I have been looking for for the past year. I travel quite a bit and audition speakers whenever I can with music I bring along. I have had detailed listening sessions with the speakers listed above. Except for the Proacs, they all had a similar quality of "boxiness" and a sense of the speakers producing "sound". Albeit, the sound was very neutral, detailed, dynamic, etc. and they are all great speakers.

But when I first heard the Libras, there was a different sensation, that of hearing "music" not sound. The Libras just disappeared and I was immediately immersed and involved in the music. I knew these were special and had to get a pair.

I've had my Libras for about a month now and am absolutely thrilled by them every time I listen. I have them set up according to Immedia's website, with the speakers about 4' from the front wall, 8' apart, with the listening couch about 7' from the front plane of the speakers.

Upstream gear is admittedly mid-fi to low hi-fi, but they still sound great. I have a Proceed HPA2 (250 wpc) amp, Rotel 995 pre and 971 CD with Nordost Red Dawn interconnects and Blue Heaven speaker cables.

I listen primarily to jazz and light rock. On well recorded software, these speakers are incredible. On Patricia Barber's Cafe Blue or Modern Cool, the musicians are right there in my listening room. The acoustic bass is tight, fast and detailed. The drums are surprisingly impactful. And voices such as Barber's or Diana Krall's are just beautiful.

These speakers are going to stay in my system for a good long time. I find myself enjoying the music again, versus evaluating the "sound" of my system. At $8,000 (upgraded finish) they are by no means cheap, but for what you get, I think they are a great value.