Atlantic Technology System 350 THX Floorstanding Speakers

4.79/5 (33 Reviews) MSRP : $3845.00

Full THX system with (2)12" 200 watt subs

Submitted by TEX1138 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2004

Bottom Line:
I own the 350THX System for 6 years now...and I can say these Speakers never dissapiontes me. Everybody who saw films, listened to music on them was impressed (not all women, but that doesn't count, right?)
First I had a Pioneer Elite THX-Amp hooked up to the system and it was already real thx....But after the big denon THX ULTRA2 Amp was connected to the system it was again a really big step further...
The Atlantic Technology 350THX System is everything you expect from a thx ultra system. It sounds crisp clear and dynamic...exactly as the filmmaker intended...

Purchased At:   AudioCompany AachenG

Submitted by mbtlriley a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2003

Bottom Line:
I've had my Atlantic Technology 350THX speakers for nearly five years now (this is an update to a previous review). Honestly, they just get better and better. I started out with a Pioneer Elite VX-99 receiver and was quite pleased. In response to Norton's displeasure of the Atlantic's musical performance, I can only say that my initial reaction was similar. I bought them without hearing or seeing them. I relied totally on reviews (unwise). But because I didn't want to pay for sending them back I just kept on using them. I discovered by default that these speakers need burn in time. After a few of weeks of burning them in, the Atlantics were born again. I mean it! These babies became fuller, warmer, wider, deeper, and sweeter. They started to sound like the high end speakers at the High End Audio shops. I next upgraded my subwoofer and the sound improved even more.

A couple of years ago I considered upgrading my speakers again. Aerial Acoustics, Dunlavy, and Revel were high on the list. Instead I upgraded my electronics. I replaced the Pioneer Elite with an Integra Research RDC-7 Pre-Pro; an Aragon 8008X5 Power Amp; a hafler 2 channel amp; an Integra Research RDV-1 progressive scan DVD Audio/Video player; an Outlaw ICBM bass management unit; a Tice 3B-HP Powerblock; a Velodyne 18" subwoofer; an NHT 10" sub; a Granite Audio 560 power cord; a host of Audioquest, Carver Pro, Pheonix Gold, Outlaw Audio and Monster Z series cables. I also added two additional Atlantic THX mains for my rear surround channels.

The result was astounding. My Atlantic 350THX system performed beyond my expectations. I quickly abandoned any thoughts of replacing them. I've had audio/videophile types ask me what kind of speakers I had after hearing my system. All have been impressed. These speakers sound excellent with music and movies.

I recently auditioned another Revel system and honestly couldn't imagine a tremendous improvement other than with their B-15 subwoofer (on my wish list). However, Atlantic has now developed a new top of the line system being marketed as we speak. I'll compare that to my current setup and if it blows me away, then and only then would I get rid of the Atlantic 350 system.

I'm not saying that their aren't better sounding speakers out there, but they do cost double and triple the scratch. Some places still offer them mail order, just make sure you burn them in.

My system includes all the gear mentioned above plus a Mitsubishi WS-55909 integrated HDTV; a laserdics player, cassett deck, turntable, reel to reel deck, S-VHS, and Sorice rack system.

Purchased At:   One Call

Submitted by Norton a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2001

Bottom Line:
After a long time considering what to purchase, I decided to buy the AT 350 THX system with one sub. It came in a package with the Onkyo 787 reciever. When it arrived in multiple boxes, I was extremely excited to get this thing hooked up. When I was finally done with that, it was time to get the thing rolling. I gave it time to break in before I really did any critical listening.

Well, the time came to see what I thought. I put in Independance Day, the Matrix, Toy Story 2, and others. I liked what I heard, and thought the system did movies very well. The speakers seemed to work together very well, and the pedestals were great.

THen I went to music. Man was I not very happy with what I heard. The center had a hollow sound, the sub didn't do that great with music, and the other speakers just didn't seem to cut it. Don't get me wrong, it sounded decent, but at the price this package costs, there are other speakers like the Paradigms, Klipsch, etc. that thoroughly blow this system away for music. So, I packed it up and sent it back.

Would I recommend it? That depends on what it is going to be used for. IF it is movies only, probably. Although I think you might be able to find something a little less expensive that will sound as good. I did think movies were it's strong point, so I would give it a 4.5 for that. If there is any music playing going to be done, I absolutely wouldn't recommend it. I think the Paradigm Mon 7 v2s not only are better for music, but blow these speakers away for music. It is sad. Luckily, I convinced one call that I wouldn't buy these speakers without being able to demo them in my house. For music, I would rate this speakers at a 1.5. Almost everything I have heard in town literally blows these things away. Maybe not the rack systems, but pretty much everything I heard in the local hifi stores does. For that reason, I give these speakers a value rating of 3, and a overall rating of 1. They cost entirely too much for the terrible music capabilities of these speakers. They are not worth the risk of buying them sight unseen, and they are not cheap to send back (shipping cost me about $275 to get them here and back to demo them, the salesperson told me there was nothing better. Sure, that is his job, but they are not worth the money)>

Purchased At:   onecall.com

Submitted by Jim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
I only have the one sub for the THX rated system but the system still sounds awsome. I think 2 subs could be a bit overwhelming in a 20 x 15 room. This is not a compact system and I was able nicely decorate around all speakers for the sake of not getting a divorce. My wife love the sound but she respects our interior dcorator who thinks speakers are not pretty. I have all 4 pedestals which are very nice and made location easier. I think the best thing AT did was upgrade the speaker material to graphite drivers from poly.

I would recommend thsi system to anyone. My receiver is the Onkyo 676 since there really is not much out there in THX for DVD. I just need a bigger room and TV (I have a 46" now)

Purchased At:   onecall

Submitted by John Rogers a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2001

Bottom Line:

Okay, i've had polk audio's for about 5 to 6 years now and i've always found the polk a little boxy sounding and they don't blend well. I had a 350 LS center, a RT7's for the front and LS f/x for the rears. It just didn't sound right at all! The infinity's i had before the polks are just not good enough. They're great for music but not movies,same with the polks, but the 350's are great overall! I've always beleived that you really have to have the same amount of drivers/ tweeter configuration to have a smooth panning across the fronts and the rears!So i dreamed of owning a THX system. Going through this painful process of looking and bargaining over the internet( since there are only 2 dealers here in Md. and they're a thousand miles away), i finally got the 350 THX( no subs) for less than $1000. I have two M & K subs which by the way are outstanding subs and paired with these bad boys(350's), they rock!!! Yeah baby!!! I also was looking into puchasing M&K S100 speakers but they are so hard to get!!! I also read a lot of rave reviews for this system especially considering that major movie and music studios use them! Anyhoo, I love this sytem so far and my system is a full THX sytem and i tell you what, THX does not play around!!! The people who should get this system has to be really into Home theater and make sure you listen to the speakers you may get!For those who are just getting started in to the home theater biz, well better save up, you'll be hooked!!! I just trusted most of the reviews here so i took a chance but it was one of the best decisions i made!!! It's really a bargain for all it's worth!!! I got my whole system (pioneer dv-05, VSX 26TX receiver and the speakers) for less than $1700!!! Maybe someone found a better deal somewhere but for what i paid for my polks, it doesn't measure up to these Atlantic Techs!!! Keep up the great work!!! Hmmm, maybe someday i may get the 450 THX or 370 THX when i move to a bigger house!!! Have fun! God bless!!!! Anyone from Singles for Christ? Just asking!!!

John R.