Atlantic Technology Compact Theater Two Floorstanding Speakers

4.92/5 (13 Reviews)

Home theater speaker package

Submitted by kelly a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this set from soundcity with the Onkyo 575x for $1279 + $56 shipping to the midwest. Everything came double boxed in very good condition. I auditioned the klipsch quintet system but they sounded to bright for me(plus i am not a big fan of the large chain that i would have bought them from). I basically bought the atlantic tech's blind, having never heard them for myself, i vowed never to do that but it has worked so far (i guess not really blind, my father has the 350thx setup). i should note that soundcity ran out of the original center channel, so they included the 273C which is a step up. I felt that I could not go wrong for the price...all of the reviews sounded very good and soundcity has a decent return policy...this system should pay itself off in the next year since i will be staying home on weekends now to rewatch all of my dvd's!! (and not out drowning myself in tequilla)
Here is my very modest system...
Sony 35" Tv
Sony DVD-360
Onkyo 575x
Proscan Vcr
Atlantic Tech's
I used all Monster Cable and AR cables...

Next purchase - Sony RM-AV2100?? I need to get rid of some remotes!!
Any suggestions - please email!!!!

Purchased At:   soundcity

Submitted by Jodie Warr a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
These speakers sound good, and my husband really enjoys them. The rear ones are white.

Purchased At:   onecall

Submitted by Mike Quinn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
I still can not believe I bought speakers without hearing them first. I DID go test the System 170, and I encourage anyone shopping for a set of surround sound speakers to demo the 170's before you buy anything. I did my homework and it paid off big. Atlantic Technology makes a fine product and they specialize in HT.

Check out the specs for the 170's vs the CT2's...very similar. Note that the CT2's use a passive radiator instead of a second driver for midrange on the front left/center/right speakers. In my opinion, the sound quality is VERY VERY Close. In my opinion, too close to justify $1250 versus the $850 shipped I paid for the CT 2's.

HT Movies: Unbelievably natural and crystal clear even at high volumes. These are NOT bright at all. They handle surround transition beautifully from left to right and front to rear. The sub is a 12" 150 watt active. :-) Nice, undistorted bass even when you crank it. The surrounds are di-poles, and the sound field they create is much more expansive for HT. The Matrix just absolutely ROCKS on this system....better than the theater!

Music: Sounds exceptional. Much better than most speakers designed for HT. In fact, this is what made me like the 170's so much. Before I had the CT2, I was running old Baby Advents, and female vocals were irritating. The CT2's have a very "easy" and warm sound. Maybe the soft dome tweeters? The dipoles don't do much for me on the music end, but I like the old fashioned 2 channel stereo for music anyway. Turn off the sub and you will see how great these front l/r speakers are.

I found that I liked the Polk 6600's and 7400's. I also liked the Boston Acoustics 9000. The Klipsch and Energy setups were too bright for me. The Paradigms are nice too, but you will have to piece it together and it wll get up to $1000 pretty quick. Look at the prices on all these Systems. For $850 shipped, I feel like I got a $1200 system. The CT2's compare to the Polk 7400's and the Energy Encores. Why? Because the midrange 5 1/4 can handle the lower frequencys better and make transitions smoother than the smaller satellite systems (9000, Take 5, 6600, 5500).

I have this system paired up with an Outlaw 1050. For $1500, I challenge anyone to find better sound at the same price. As many say...I paid for the VW and got the Porsche.

Email me with any questions....I'd be glad to answer them!

Submitted by rmchief a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
I was nearly caught in the Bose marketing scam and believed that they actually had some good speaker systems. After being forced to listen to systems other than Bose (by my wife) before I purchased - I saw the light and nearly purchased a set of Polk RM-7300s. While the Polks were very nice (compared to the Bose systems), I kept hearing dealers and other audio enthusiasts mentioning Atlantic Technology speaker systems. I had never heard of AT before and thought that I would research them. I checked out thier site @ www.atlantictechnology.com, and read all the reviews on this site - and even talked to the sales person at onecall.com before I decided to make the purchase.
I was very glad to have gone with the AT purchase. I have my speakers coupled with a Yamaha HTR-5240 receiver, and the sound of this AT/Yama combo is awsome. Far greater sound than what could be reasonably expected for a set of six speakers priced at under 900.00 (US). The soundstage duplicated by the AT CT II in two channel is much larger than could be reproduced with any speaker systems of this size or pricerange. The clarity of the Yama rcvr suffers no loss with this set of speakers. In DSP modes the Yama will use all six speakers for CDs and really fills a room.
The DVDs are completely enveloping, and you actually forget your at home watching a movie, and get the real theater feeling. I couldn't recommend the system any higher, but alas, if AT were to add a remote control volume adjustment on the current powered sub in the AT CT II, there would be absolutly nothing to want for with this systems.

Submitted by George Ramsdell a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
I am very happy with these speakers.

I was initially nervous about ordering these from the Internet, but after reading through these reviews, several visits to Good Guys, Circuit City, and Best Buy, Atlantic's web site and checking out similarly priced speakers. I decided upon the Compact Theater Two from onecall.com.

I hooked the speakers up to my Yamaha 5150 receiver, and played several CDs and couple DVD movies and was surprised at how much an improvement the sound quality was over my 9 year old Kenwood receiver and Cerwin-Vega speakers. The Bass and sound is great, and for the price it can't be beat.