Athena Technologies Audition AS-F2 Floorstanding Speakers

4.63/5 (35 Reviews) MSRP : $599.00

Submitted by Tom a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2011

Bottom Line:
I have owned these Athenas for 5 yrs and I have really tried, I mean really tried to like them because of all the great reviews. When a major expert lauds these puppies you should at least give them a fair shot. I've read some of the other reviews and agree that FOR THE MONEY these are good speakers. In general, though, for good audio in a home theater or home listening room, they are not, they are just not good enough at all. The high sensitivity has the effct of good power use but also makes a tinney and shrill tone at more than a couple watts. I agree with one reviewer that these are good for a teenager in a college dorm or frat house, probably better than anything else that would end up there and probably better to everything in the price range. I just can't listen to them at higher levels...it becomes annoying in the mid to high mid range and I can't seem to manage that enough by just adjusting tone. The good news is you can get bonafide concert level sound out of these speakers...measured 118spl at 3ft at max rated power without amp clipping, and also completely intolerable to listen to. I replaced them with a pair of vintage ADS M12s for $400 and all I can say is ...aaaah now thats what I wanted all along. warm even delightful tone at everything but max levels. Its a shame that a pair of 20yr old vintage speakers far surpass these Athenas in the same price range but I'll tell you that for all the hype of these Athenas, that is exactly what happened. Remember that the competition in this price is not just other new mid range speakers, but great quality used ones.

Submitted by grayloop a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2008

Bottom Line:
got these after trying to listen to them at a very loud best buy (useless )and after reading all the good reviews they got .Sounded good from the start .I played them with a HK 125 first, then HK 3585 and a Denon 2706 ,an HK 340 and now an Onkyo 805 .The onkyo and the athenas combo is heaven .In the last few years i have tried many speakers ,looking to upgrade to a better one but always return them and stayed with the Athenas Since i got the onkyo i had the polk monitor 60 and 70 and the new athenas ls-500 jbl 880 .All went back .The Athenas Ls-500 need some crossover work .After listening to the F2s the Ls-500 sounded like a 50 dollar speaker Can not find anything to sound as good .I think i will try the KEF IG9 next .So under 1000 dollar a pair so far have not found anything better than the F2s
By the way if you like music and you can find an Onkyo 805 or better please buy it .Thay are sooooooo good

Purchased At:   Best buy

Submitted by mike fallon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2008

Bottom Line:
I couldn't be more pleased with these speakers. I've tried a lot of speakers, some much more expensive, but I find these hard to beat, especially at the price they sold at. I've tried all the mid-fi brands, and nothing compares. I've learned not to buy any speakers without at least some type of audition unless the reviews and value appears to be overwhelming. That's what led me to these. They sound very smooth, yet clear and musical. The bass is accurate and extended. They do go loud when asked to, but sound good low as well. They also cast a huge soundstage which is very satisfying. I originally bought them for surround sound mains, but are now my primary stereo listening speakers until I find something significantly better.

Purchased At:   audioadvisor

Submitted by Dylan a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2007

Bottom Line:
I bought these when they first came out. You'll find my original review in Jan of 2003 just a few pages back. Now that the honeymoon is over four years later...I still like them. I'm not going to write that they sound as good as Def Tech, B&W or NHT but for the price, they can't be beat. They can take a lot of power. I used to power these with a Parasound 90x5 amp. Now I use a Sunfire Grand Cinema at 500x5. More power (quality power) = better, effortless sound. I noticed that alot of reveiwers used just a receiver. I don't think that will feed these thirsty boys... even if you're using the big Denons or Yamahas. You may not need 500w per channel but these are rated to take up to 300w. It's like this...you drop a 150hp Nissan motor into a Porsche GT chassis and body; guess what...you still got a 150hp Nissan.
These speakers, if powered well, have a big soundstage. The woofers will give you some bass, but let a subwoofer take care of that. The tweeters are bright and they can go loud. Watch Pearl Harbor if you don't believe me. As for the knucklheads that write about the mids and the bass. These speakers are only equipped with (2) - 6.5ish woofers and a tweeter with no bi-amp option. They can't take care of the mids and hi at the same time. You need a sub. Turn the crossover way down and volume about half way up and program all your speakers as "small" on your onscreen set up display. Hi's and mids are taken care of and you have dedicated power for the sub.

Purchased At:   Athena direct

Submitted by longterm a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2007

Bottom Line:
I don't make a habit of contributing to forums; however, the Athena F-2 is, in my experience, a special product. I found it a very smooth speaker with a decent soundstage, friendly to quality amplifiers of various manufacturers. Recent audtioning of other products suggest one might need to spend $1,000 or perhaps close to $2,000 to exceed the performance of the F-2's. I can find no weaknesses. I have had no problems with the product. The highs are smooth, the midrange is smooth, and the bass is full without boom or bloating. The drivers are well-integrated. As a stereo store owner from the 70's my employees and I became sensitive to the need to match components. I have been surprised how the F-2's sound essentially the same with the three amps listed below. There were differences. With the Cambridge, the reproduction was on the light side but smooth; with the Musical Fidelity, the reproduction was very smooth and full; with the Outlaw, the reproduction provided more detail, more resolution with good bass...quite a statement for that receiver. Keep in mind my ratings are in the context of a very modestly priced speaker. I doubt one can find a better product at this price point.

Purchased At:   Audio Advisor