Angstrom Omega Series 5 Special Edition Floorstanding Speakers

4.83/5 (6 Reviews)

2 way stereo speaker

Submitted by Vish a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2003

Bottom Line:
I first read of these loudspeakers in the Inner Ear Report, where the reviewer was simply astonished by the quality and sonic realism of these loudspeakers. Reading the review I went out and auditioned the Omega 5's at different retailers to hear the possible setups for these speakers and everytime I heard them I was truly amazed.

I have had these units for over two years now I honestly have never been more impressed with loudspeakers than these. I have the Omega 26 and Trinity Project Series II F3.3 speakers and the Omega 5's simply excel ahead of the other two speakers by leaps and bounds, by way of imaging and detail.

The imaging, mid-bass, and ability to recreate guitars, saxophones, and wind instruments is truly remarkable. Male and Female voices are very clean and smooth.

In my honest opinion, these speakers are the true defintion of a sleeper speaker. Why these loudspeakers are not marketed more widely is beyond me, but for those of us who are privilged to own them, we smile every day.

I presently have the Omega 5's (Front L-R), Omega 5C (Center Channel), Trinity Project Series II F3.3's (Surround L-R) and a Paradigm PS-1000 for my home theater setup. The presentation is absolutely stunning and addictive.

Check out their website, and audition the Omega 5's. You're expectations will be met.

www.angstromloudspeakers.com

Purchased At:   Great Metropolitan S

Submitted by Omer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
After having heard countless budget speakers over the years, these have to be the best bang for the buck so far. Makes the Pardigm Atom of similar size seem like a doorstop. Consists of a 5 inch titanium injected woofer with rubber surround, mated to a two-stage ring type tweeter. The smoothness of a fabric dome, and the speed of a metal dome. Excellent bass response for a speaker this size, mated with a good sub would be an awesome combo, and unbeatable for home theater. I wish it was available in a different finish other than black, but at the price, it can't be beat.Getting back to the bass, it has excellent extention and speed. The image that these speakers create is amazing, it's like being there. Everytime I listen to these I keep shaking my head. How can Angstrom do this at $370 per pair? Money well spent as far as I'm concerned!
Overall value rating is OFF THE SCALE.

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2000

Bottom Line:
These speakers were almost returned the day I bought them. There was hardly any midrange, and the highs were tinny and shouty. Vocalist sounded like they were hissing into a microphone with too much gain. It was hard to believe that the same speakers I auditioned at the shop were the same as these.

Assuming that they needed a bit of a break-in, I proceeded to play a variety of music at different sound levels for the next week or so. I've also experimented with placement. I am not able to try different amplifiers, or even different sources than CD or DVD; the reader should bear this in mind.

My conclusion is that, once they settle down, these speakers are excellent value for the price ($369 Canadian MSRP). Bass response is highly dependent on position and stand. These like to be about 18" from a good reflection surface, like a wall. They like to be at least 20" off the floor on really beefy stands. These "bookcase" speakers could benefit from being placed on a solid bookcase, though a stand is better.

The tinny, hissy highs I hated at first mellowed quickly with use, and the mids increased a little. Bass response is excellent for such a small volume. Angstrom has obviously tuned the port to take advantage of the main driver. It sounds like real bass, too, not the low HZ distortion sold by other compact unit manufacturers. This speaker likes to be driven LOUD. A higher-current amplifier is advised to drive it at lower sound levels.

Stereo seperation and direction is good, but you do not have to be in the sweet spot to hear it. There is decent balance in the instrumentation. Good for bopping around the house while doing chores.

The Omega 5's can be easily bi-wired. The simple (and not premium) cross-over may benefit from this, but I've yet to test. It may not make sense to spend $300 on good biwire cable on $300 speakers.

These speakers will never be able to complete against others with fuller-sized cabinets, better designed cross-overs or better-balanced ports. Angstrom has designed these to be loud little units that accentuate the highs, and can push enough air to sound bigger than they are. There is punch missing in the low-mids and bass that can be annoying on good recordings; of course, this good be a problem with my receiver (Marantz SR-4000) or cables not providing the bass.

I'd recommend these speakers to the value-conscious listener who wants to upgrade the junk speakers for a mini-system, or someone growing a surround system. For a simple Left-Centre-Right surround setup, these cannot be beat. Audiophiles will be underwhelmed, but the casual listener at house party volumes or lower will be pleased.

My advice is to audition these speakers with several different amps, with the speakers near a wall, and a reflection wall behind you.

Purchased At:   Gibson Sound & Vision

Submitted by Edward Lau a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 8, 1999

Bottom Line:
The sound is great! There was clear separation of instruments and voices that I could not hear from my old stereo.

They don't seem to be marketed that widely, but I suggest you find a pair!

Submitted by hoju a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 8, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have recently just bought thte angstrom omega 5 loud speakers they are just amazing for the price (299. They are clear and the bass just pounds.