Altec Lansing Voice of The Theater Floorstanding Speakers

4.73/5 (26 Reviews)

Submitted by westcott a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2009

Bottom Line:
My father left me his pristine original Altec Valencia "Voice of the Theatre" speakers in their beautiful walnut cabinets. Even the grates are in very good condition. They date back to the early 60's. I grew up listening to these speakers and have always enjoyed the glorious sound they produce. No matter the volume level, these speakers speak the truth. Very large by today's standards but the solid walnut cabinets are beautiful pieces of furniture that you just don't see any more. They do 3.1 home theater duty in the master bedroom now. My wife spends a great deal of time using them when she watches her programming but I still find myself dropping in a CD or SACD every once in a while and slip back in time when music was music and speakers were speakers. If you ever get a chance to acquire an original pair of these works of art, you will not regret it.

Submitted by ocupatto a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2006

Bottom Line:
This review is for a pair of Altec Valencia 846U speakers. They are essentially Voice of the Theatres, only modified for home use. These speakers are in the birch version.

I purchased these speakers for $900.00 in April 2006 at a consignment store in Sun City, Arizona.

I currently use them as my entire setup - music, movies, and tv.

Purchased At:   Consignment Shop - S

Submitted by deejayhotmix a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
I own the Altec studio monitor's fifteen's. I love the deep clean bass i can push out of them, After installing a new set of woofers.. the horn drivers where blowen, i couldn't find and set of drivers to put back in them so i had to modify a pair of tweeters to fit them. but all in all i still get a good clean sound. Very good For A company that pretty much started the industral side of speaker systems..

Purchased At:   Second Hand Store

Submitted by canaris a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
Altec Lansing, Model 19's, studio monitors, purchased at ayrd sale, couldn't believe my luck, the 416B's were our of the cabinets, but were not damaged at all, I was amazed at the clean sound, they are much better in my home then the A7's, which i have now taken to my shop, gotta use them some place, I still have not heard any speaker system that can compare at all levels with the VOT, I drive them with Harmon Cardin, installed new diaphrams in the 808A's and I listen and totally enjoy

Purchased At:   yard sale

Submitted by CHET ADAMAON a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
I HAVE 4 OF THE A4 BASS CABINETS, MODEL 210 LOADED W/ SELINIUM DRIVERS 2- 15" WOOFERS EACH. HIGHS ARE JBL MANTARAYS. WE USE RANE EQS AND CROSSOVERS WIH QSC AMPS. I HAVE HEARD ROCK CONSERTS THAT CANNOT MATCH THE VOLUME AND CLARITY OF THESE. AT LOW VOLUMES THEY HAVE VERY HIGH SOUND QUALITY. WE HAVE DONE MANY MODIFICATIONS TO THESE CABNITS. THESE ARE THE BIG DADDY OF ALL SPEAKERS, COMPAIRABLE TO COMMUNITIE'S GOLIATHS. iF YOU WOULD LIKE MORE INFORMATION ON THE MODIFICATIONS DONE, DRIVERS USED, AND GOOD ALTEC WEBSITE INFO- OEM PRODECTS USED, MODIFICATIONS, AND SCHEMATICS EMAIL ME AT CHETNLORI@HOTMAIL.COM. PLEASE NOTE ALTEC IN THE SUBJECT LINE. THANKS

Purchased At:   MOVIE THEATER DONATI