Altec Lansing PowerCube Multimedia Speak Floorstanding Speakers

3.67/5 (3 Reviews)

Submitted by fatcat a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
the system is very good. I like the sounds, better then my sony sound system. My only problem with the system is the volume control. I came here to this website to see if I could find some software that would make changing the volume a sort of pop up menue or something to that end.

Purchased At:   The Computer Store

Submitted by Tony a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have to agree with Marty in his review. Why they ever built the volume control into the speaker is beyond me. The satellites sound good sitting on the desk, but I think they sound even better mounted higher (possibly on the wall). However, if I did that, then it would be a real pain to adjust the volume all the time. Overall the speakers sound pretty good. I can't say I have noticed any hissing sounds, that may be from the quality of the audio card. The bass is a bit "boomy" but that can be tailored with any software integrated equalizer. They have been enjoyable for about 18 months, but now I ready to move on to some surround speakers systems. I'm starting to get into gaming and I don't think these speakers compare to others that are on the market now for the same money or a little bit more.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by marty a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
model ACS45.

bought the altec lansings for $100 and have since found equally good sounding speakers for $35. (boka 850w)

my number one beef with these is the volume control. give me a dial type knob; a remote knob please. ok so i've got a bigger desk & the speakers are at the back edge of it. if i'm sitting at my desk jammin out to some tunes & someone walks in the room to talk, i've got to get out of my chair to adjust the volume. life should be easier than that.
also, i've noticed a slight hum/hiss in the speakers, which, goes away after the auto shut-off kicks in. the problem is that the auto shut-off makes a farting type noise. not cool.