Aerial Acoustics Model 8 Floorstanding Speakers

• 10.7" woofer,7" midrange, 1 " tweeter

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Vic a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2013

Bottom Line:
    Give them the power they need and just sit back and enjoy

Submitted by Gary Lee a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
    It was love at first sight! My babies have a beautiful Rose Walnut finish. I connected them to my Plinius 8200 Amp, popped Diana Krall into my CAL Icon II CD player, and suddenly I was emotionally touched like no other speaker had done before. The musical instruments were magically layered, and Diana's voice sounded so intimately real. I sat there for hours listening to my older CD's, realizing what I had missed before. These speakers are pure enjoyment. Worth every penny.

Submitted by Dave Mahan a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2000

Bottom Line:
    I have the 8B model and think it is more open and does have tighter bass than the model 8 to a small degree but would'nt think twice if I owned the 8's about wanting to get the newer version. I only listened to the 8's to make my decision as the B version was just comming out. I'm very glad that they are so close because I liked the 8's just the way they were. I don't think the bass is slow or muddy at all (as I have read about) if positioned well. One last trick to try if bass is not tight on these is to reverse the speakers so the bass drivers are facing inwards (if the drivers are close to the side walls and facing out, it can sound bad as I have experienced). The amp is a very big part of the quality of bass one is able to achive along with the room and acoustics-so I will end with saying that for me,in my system the bass is world class. I have two subs and was going to buy more for the LFE channel but have found that I don't need the 8B's augmented at all for the type of music I listen to (mostly female vocals and pop) so they have become my LFE subs. I love the Martin Logans and Magepans and thought mostly about buying them until direct commparisons changed my mind. I preferred the solid stable and pin point image achived with the Aerial's over the large but vegue sound stage of the other two. When listning to voices I get a realistic projection of where the performers are in front of me with the 8's. With the plannar's the singers seem to have 10 foot wide mouths on a very shallow stage. This sounds great at first but is not realistic at all - especially for video where you loose a lot of directional ques if immaging is not precise. In home theater reguards, I believe Aerial kills B&W,Vienna,Sonus Faber etc... they cannot come close to the dynamics and impact of Aerial period. For music they are all great! Hope I have added something new and usefull-

Purchased At:   The Sound Lab

Submitted by William Lee a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2000

Bottom Line:
    The best lesson I've learned during the whole stereo build thing is to audition everything possible. It's rare that any one place is going to have everything you want to test. After reading the reviews of the ProAc 2.5 in magazines as well as on this site, I have to say that I was really disappointed when I heard them. For what it's worth here are my opinions:

ProAc 2.5: Dark sounding, muddy in the low range. Images well, but not great definition. Played with Krell KRC, KAV 300cd, and Marsh amp, MIT 330 S3 all around.

ProAc 1.5: Brighter than the 2.5, but still sounded compressed to me. Auditioned with Classe - don't know models.

Magnepan 1.6: Images very well, open airy sound. Definitely worth the money. Felt it was a little weak in the midrange area. Bass was ok. Played with Acurus/Aragon equipment and Transparent cables.

Aerial 6: Weak all around. Not worth the money, especially considering you have to pay more for stands and any other color aside from black. Relaxed sounding speaker, so-so articulation. Played with Plinius components.

B&W 804: This was my second choice, but I felt the 8's blew them away in every category. The speakers sounded open, fast, a little on the clinical side. Good for rock&roll. The weakness I felt was separation of instruments at louder levels. Played with McIntosh integrated and Classe CD. MIT and Straightwire cables.

What I liked about the 8's was that they sounded open without being too harsh. Sweet in the midrange and highs. Good punch in the bass, albeit a little loose. And the definition was superior to all the other speakers I auditioned. The most incredible setup I've ever auditioned was the JM Labs Utopia (big ones) with the Krell sub-woofer, Krell master series cd player/preamp and amps. Although the 8's can't compare, they definitely came closer to that experience than the other speakers.

Associated equipment:
    Krell KAV 250a
    Krell KAV 250cd
    Krell KRC 3
    Quicksilver phono preamp
    Well-Tempered Record Player/Benz Micro
    MIT 330 shotgun

I only value the 8's a five star because of the price/performance ratio vs other speakers. My wallet thinks all good stereo components are just way too expensive!

Submitted by Rick Sieminski a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 28, 1999

Bottom Line:
    I AM 52 YEARS OLD, I HAVE LEARNED THE HARD WAY OVER THE YEARS ABOUT SPEAKER HYPE. I GOT TALKED AND HYPED INTO BUYING THE DYN SPEAKER LINE, ALTHOUGH A NICE SPEAKER I FOUND THEM TO BE WAY OVERPRICED AND OVERHYPED, SO I TOOK A LOSS AND SOLD THEM, AFTER A LONG SEARCH I FOUND THE AERIAL 8, IT WAS EVERYTHING I HAD BEEN LOOKING FOR, SWEET HIGHS WITHOUT BEING HARSH, GREAT MIDS AND SLAMMING BASE. THESE SPEAKERS JUST OOZE CLASS, ALONG WITH STUNNING LOOKS, SO MY ADVICE IS LISTEN BEFORE YOU BUY, DON'T FALL FOR SPEAKER OF THE MONTH HYPE,

Tekton Model 8.1EN

I decide to take the plunge and try a full range speaker... So I contacted Erik at Tekton about buying a pair of Model 8.1ENs... [IMG]http://www.tektondesign.com/images/Model81en_06.jpg[/IMG] [url]http://www.tektondesign.com/Model81en.html[/url] The 8.1EN uses a Fostex FE206EN 8" full-range driv ... Read More »