Advent Heritage Floorstanding Speakers

4.13/5 (31 Reviews) MSRP : $375.00

2 way 8in woofer, 1in tweeter

Submitted by jmitchnh a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2012

Bottom Line:
I purchased these speakers used off of CL purely on looks alone to use in my 2 channel audio system. They’ve been in and out of my speaker “rotation” over the last few years and spent the last year or so on the sideline as my main speakers were a pair of Polk Audio SDA-1Cs. After selling the Polks, I needed to decide on which of my remaining speakers would be my “new” full-timers. In a three-way comparison between a modded pair of Klipsch KG-4s, Yamaha NS-555s and the Heritages, the Advents were the clear winner.

These speakers have a very even and flat frequency response and are very detailed without being bright. Even though these look like two-ways they are, in reality, three-ways as each of the two 8” woofers have their own inductor and it appears that the upper driver is crossed over at a different frequency.

These speakers have a ¾” solid pecan front and top with black vinyl wrapped sides and are simply a beautiful speaker to look at. I have begun modding the speakers by Dynamatting the driver baskets and will be replacing the old, cheap electrolytic caps in the crossover with new poly caps. Will also be looking into bracing and spiking the cabinets. These speakers can be bought for a song on auction sites, are a great audio bargain and a real sleeper!

Submitted by bajanclan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2011

Bottom Line:
I own about 8 different pairs of speakers and am still in love with the Advents after almost 20 years of faithful service. Sure they are better speakers out there, but for the money, these Rock. Looks are superb. After reconing and internal Mods. Eg. Caps bracing Bafling , I decided to make mine similar to the Advent new Vision series 350 and 500 series which were made after the Heritage.. I have inserted a down Firing Port ( Tierd Sound Channel) and a front Firing Flared port under this is a bass reflecting pad . This allows for great sound staging and is naturally amplified. I have also reduced overlapping of the tweeter with the Co-Active woofers.The results are unreal and has turned this speaker into a piece of art. I did this with the help of my friend who customizes car speaker boxes for a Custom shop. I now play my stereo at minus 30 Volume since the volume is so loud. These speakers require a lot of power in their original form.

Submitted by mindcandy77 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2011

Bottom Line:
I think, I may have used my set for 20 years now! Circa 90-91. No joke! Still love them!!

I haven't looked for speakers in a few years, because I gave up on replacing them. The quality value ratio argument, was never there to make the move. I have built 3 systems around them and are content until some major break through comes.

I've had them configured in a number of ways, some times primarily for music, and others for home theater. I have been satisfied all along. You just need to power them properly, and if pairing in a surrond set up, speakers that can compliment them.

I'm a professional DJ and have done studio productions work as well. I have been exposed to a number of high quality speaker systems, and believe my ear is reasonable. As other musicians and producers have visited my place, I've had many complimentary comments to say the least. For stereo stand alone speakers, they're perfect to listen to new music concepts, when the studio has just became too small, and you need a new environment to take a listen. These fill the job so well! Really clear and clean reproduction of sound.

For some of the negatives I read:
- If you're having sound quality issues, it's most likely your power source. A good amp and ample power is required, period.
- If you find the mids a bit weak, cross it over with a punchy subwolfer. It should help address that issue.
- If you say the sounds is just not right, muddy base or all around sound. Check your fuse. Believe it or not, mine blew once, and the speakers still kept driving. But, they simply sounded horrible, not like themselves at all. So if you bought them used and don't know the difference, give it a shot. You just might thank me!

Overall, watching concerts, listening to music, configured in a surround system, these speakers deliver! For the price and the overall look and construction of the speaker, it's hard to beat. You can try, and drop a pretty penny, and I'll agree you can find better speakers. But why bother, if you already have these to appreciate. I stumbled across them in a clearance sale in a retail store, everybody was buying Bose, cause they knew the name. Funny! Worked out for me, and I've never had a reason to buy Bose or any other consumer market products, they still aren't worth the money to trade out for these. You still need to really step up to higher end professional products to better them, and that 20 years later! Nuff said!

Heritage indeed!

Submitted by Dave a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2009

Bottom Line:
It is an excellent piece of art, beautiful sound, totally satisfaction. It is beautiful as well. Unfortunately, they do not make it anymore.

Submitted by scottsecor a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2009

Bottom Line:
I purchased these Advents (the second pir that I have owned in my life) about five years ago for $450, as I recall. I have never owned better, before or since. Their clarity is unsurpassed and I have never experienced any of the negatives that other reviewers have noted.

Sure, I have attempted to replace my Advents with newer speakers a couple of times, but I always go back to the Advents. I even added a sub-woofer at one point. I ultimately disconnected it

The Advents also offer a distinctive appearance that blends in with the rest of our furniture I oil them with orange oil from time-to-time to maintain the luster.

yba heritage a100

Just wanted to post a review of this new line from YBA. I recently purchased the A100 heritage integrated here in Montreal and its fantastic. It has all the characteristics of previous YBA gear with many improvements...including a lower noise floor. It drives My Elacs effortlessly! here is a youtube ... Read More »

DCM or Vndersteens or Ohm/Walsh or Klipsch Heritage

Hi guys, After getting back into 2-chl w/ not being all that inpressed w/ H/T I do have a few questions. I'm right now in the ownership of multiple sets of speeks.I had a pair of resurrected Bose 601s that I nursed back to life w/refoaming and redoing the cabinets after they looked like so many pie ... Read More »

Advent Heritage Speaker replacement

I have a 17 year old pair of advent towers. They are beautiful and easily one of the best speakers I have ever owned. I realized this past weekend that the foam surrounding the speakers (8 inch) have just disintegrated. I desperately what to replace them with the same speaker if posible. Does an ... Read More »

Advent Heritage Dual Woofers or Not?

I pulled the crossover to replace the caps on my Advent Heritage's and noticed the bandpasses for the 2 "woofers" are different -- coil and cap pairs are different sizes for the 2 woofers. I have to conclude that the 2 cover different frequency ranges, but the mystery (to me) is that they share the ... Read More »

ADVENT heritage 8 inch speaker blown: where or how

I have a set of ADVENT heritage tower speakers...........The 8 inch speaker is blown (low frequencies I can here rumbling/distortion): I saw a few foam repair kits for the rim.............I inspected the foam and there are no tears....How do I tell if its the coil, foam rim or cone? Any advice? ... Read More »