Advent Classic New Loudspeaker Floorstanding Speakers

4.66/5 (47 Reviews)

2-Way Floor Speaker

Submitted by vanwilder42 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2009

Bottom Line:
Spotted this pair of Legacy 2's in great condition in a thrift store. Paid my $22 and left smiling. I figured i could replace the drivers and have some nice classic looking speakers. The surrounds were rotted of course and the drivers are 8" in a 10" frame. I easily popped in some 10" drivers i had in storage and they sounded decent. Then after reading many blogs and reviews I found I could replace the foam on the old drivers. I had never done this before but it turned out to not be too hard and i read all I could before trying it. I let the glue dry overnight and was rewarded the next day with some really tunefull Quality speakers. Plus they look great. I A&B these with my Sony SSK30ED's ($150 on clearance) and the overall sound is GREAT! The Sonys fill in the midrange and the Advents just flood the room with sound. My 100wpc Onkyo 2 channel amp never even gets warm. I will never have to shop for high end speakers again, I used to look around a lot but it seems I cant beat what I have without spending several hundreds and they will still never look as cool as my advents. I just picked up a set of Cerwin Vega big boys 3 ways with 12" woofer. They sound great too except need refoaming, next project underway then i'll give them to these hard rocking kids down the block. I recommend speaker fixing/rebuilding to anyone who is even slighly handy, you will be rewarded greatly.

Purchased At:   Thrift Store Kissimm

Submitted by robertanderson@insightbb. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2007

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair of advent 6003s 24 years ago. those speakers sounded better to me than walsh ohm, klipsch, thiel. i am sorry i sold these 2 years ago. i sold them for the same price i had paid for them and had refoamed the woofers a year earlier. not bad. i have not been able to find anything comparable to these new. i find some speakers that are clear but no bass. so few speakers have a nice cabinet. these sounded so nice with a jolida tube amp- i have often heard that advents are power hungry. these required a minimum of 10 watts. i drove these nicely for many years with a modest tube amp. the sound was amazingly reallistic with unbelievable bass. the mids were great, the highs phenominal with bone jarring bass. The bass sounded natural and did complete justice to an upright string bass. Vocals, horns, woods all sounded very pleasant. I will continue looking for another pair of these to buy. I sold mine to pay some bills as I was out of work at the time.

Purchased At:   jay carder's hi-fi

Submitted by benpa a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2006

Bottom Line:
I have heard the vintage or classic Advents though it was so far back I cannot make comment, I remember I was very impressed. I am writing about the Advent Legacy II Speakers, circa. 1990. This model is one of the last Advent Legacy II models produced, though I believe that Jensen actually made the Legacy II models during that time period. The specifications of both are very similar.

These are wonderful sounding loudspeakers, and I could not agree more with the many nice comments made by the other reviewers here.

I have read inquiries about these speakers’ specifications on other discussion groups, and I decided to post the specifications here if anyone is interested.

Manufacturer's Specifications:

Frequency response: 42 Hz - 23 kHz, +/- 3 dB.
Impedance (nominal): 6 ohms (minimum): 4 ohms.
Power handling (peak): 500 watts. (RMS) 100 watts.
Sensitivity: 90 dB (2.8V @ 1 meter).
Crossover frequency: 2000 Hz.
Resonance: 51 Hz +/- 5 Hz.
Harmonic distortion: Less than 1% above 50 Hz @ 1 watt; 3% @ 100 Hz;
Less than 1% above 100 Hz @ 10 watts
Tweeter dispersion: Less than +/- 1 dB (variance 30 deg. V or H to 13kHz).
Frequency range (low): 30 Hz -8 dB. (high) 23 kHz -3 dB.
Tweeter: 1" ferrofluid-filled parabolic soft dome.
Woofer: 10" high excursion; aluminum coil form.
Cabinet size (HxWxD): 28 1/4" x 16" x 9 7/16".
Weight: 46.5 lbs.
Finish: Oiled solid pecan wood top and base; black textured vinyl over dense fiberboard.

Submitted by basite a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2006

Bottom Line:
it's simple, really, there's the advent loudspeaker, and there's any other speaker in the world.

THESE speakers just keep suprising me, they sound good for any kind of music and they play it really clean and warm. also, they don't cost that much. for price/quality, they beat the crap out of every modern speaker now, my dad bougth them in the late 70 ties and subs only broke once (then he replaced them with other subs with newer surrounds, which don't rott, but still, they are one of the only things still lasting now (anything else broke finally) exept the good ol' kenwood KR-730 receiver, which i use now (until my new denon arrives). so to everyone who likes vintage speakers, if you see them on ebay, or somewhere else, go there, buy them, they can require a little work to make them look new and repair the foam (or replacing the subs), but when that's done, you'll have one of the best speakers ever made!! They're unique, don't trash them.

Purchased At:   dilis, mortsel in th

Submitted by pozza a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2006

Bottom Line:
I have had my set of large Advent Utility cabinets since they originated purchased in 74 they dated 73 on the rear of cabinet. I was a kid of 19 in college then saved some money from the summer, came september and went back to college purchased a complete outfit dual turntable a high-end sony receiver from then. Still have and use the receiver and the Advents. I have always loved the sound. I've listened to many others outfits and it takes a really expensive outfit to surpass and not by much. Within one year both woofer surrounds went to dust. That was back in 88.. I wwent to an authorized Advent repair shop and purchesed replacement speakers and I changed my self. A year later ditto. THis time Advent improved on the quality of foam. It is a lot more rubbery. I think these will last at least 30 years more and its been18 years since 88.. Same great sound as in 74. I'm an old man now and I think I enjopy my music more then ever. I guess I'll be berried with them. I've gone from beatles and Stones and Hendrix to Sinatra ,Tony Bennett and Miles Davis with them.

Purchased At:   carlin audio Daton O