Acoustic Research C225PS Floorstanding Speakers

4.36/5 (11 Reviews)

center channel speaker

Submitted by Dave B a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
To start this review I am not really ragging on this speaker. My only complaint is when it is in HT mode I have to boost the volume to hear dialouge.But when I have the 5 channel stereo kicked in,it sounds very good.I have a Marantz SR7000 reciever rated at 100 watts in 5 channels. I have experemented in small or large settings and found no difference inHT mode. I only paid $49.00 for it so you can,t have everything. I am curious if anybody else has this same problem and could let me know if they expierience this phenomenom. I do have the center set at max all the way around for this speaker. So I don't know if it is a shortcoming of the speaker or God forbid my reciever.

Purchased At:   Sears

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this because of general disappointment with my BIC speaker (it was quite thin sounding), and because it was an AR so it should best match my left/right front speakers.

It is a gigantic improvement over my previous center channel speaker and it sounds quite natural. The tweeter appears to be identical with those on my other ARs from the HO line.

I have the speaker under my TV and set to aim up diagonally rather than straight out. In this position I find the sound to be somewhat muffled and distant, as if the tweeter doesn't have enough dispersion to compensate for the angle. This coloration may or may not be a problem with a horizontal/top of TV placement, but that location isn't an option for me right now.

It was a fine deal, but nothing spectacular.

Purchased At:   Ubid.com auction

Submitted by Pat a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
Get one while they last. An excellent value! Classic AR mid-range and high-range sound...smooth.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Churchy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
For last seven months I had an awesome experience with this speaker for my DVD player, CD player and my PC. I still amazed by the price that I paid for this unit, but I am little disappointed since there wasn't any review for this unit for last seven months. That's one of the reason I am writing a update review for this speaker but I am writing this review because I finally completed my entertainment system.

Now, I use this speaker for watching DVD. For my HT system it produce clear voice and some bass since this speaker have two 5 1/2 inch woofer. This speaker sit top of my TV and fills my living, but like I said before this center maximum power ratting is only 120 watts. This speaker doesn't blend with my two pairs of floorstanding speakers. I watched Matrix, Saving private ryan, Gladiator, Braveheart, Patriot, and Terminator 2 Ultimate package. When I use this speaker for my CD player, it does really kicking arse job. It produce clear vocals, detailed sounds. I always test speaker's clarity by listening to Starwars soundtrack and this speaker do find job at it by producing very nice clear sound. I also listen to Creed, Project 86 and Mario 64 soundtrack. Now for my PC, I use this speaker to watch anime and play PC games. When I watch anime such as, DBZ, I could really tell how clear this speaker reproduce. I also watched anime Dual, Hand maid may, Macross Plus, DBZ movie 2 DVD, Lodoss war DVD, Jubie Chan and Eva. It all sounds good. Now, when I play PC games I play many first person shooters, roleplaying games and Streatgy games. It sounds great with Quake 1,2,3 and unreal Tournament, Starcraft-Broodwar, Darkstone and Diablo 1, 2. I really recommend this speaker for all low-end system oweners, those who are building low-end systems or those who owns low-end floorstanding speakers. It's great using it as an entertainment system center channel. My complain can be easily overcome by the price I paid for. If you see this center channel for less than 60 dollars I say "GO AND BUY IT" but if anyone want to spend more than 100 dollars for a center channel. I would recommend for to get Acoustic Research AR4C or JBL S-center. I am still deciding between Acoustic Research AR4C and JBL S-center. Both of them are around 150 dollars and they both are great center. Well, it's well made Center channel. Don't get it if your system is high end. Thanks! Have a nice day.

My system:
SONY TRINTON 32 INCH TV
JBL VCR
YAMAHA HTR-5150
ONKYO DX730 CD PLAYER
PENTIUM CELERON 400 MHZ WITH CREATIVE LAB ENCORE 12X DVD PLAYER HOOK UP TO MY TV USING AR S-VIDEO CABLE
ACOUSTIC RESEARCH C225PS(CENTER)
PAIR OF ACOUSTIC RESEARCH AR-318(FRONT)
PAIR OF SONY SS MF-515(FRONT)
OLD ARGON SPEAKERS(REAR)
AR DIGITAL CABLE FOR COAXIAL CONNECTION
AR INTERCONNECT CABLE FOR CD PLAYER TO RECEIVER
CHEAP 18 GAUGE SPEAKER WIRES ALL AROUND.

Purchased At:   Sears

Submitted by Churchy Park a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2000

Bottom Line:
I been visiting this site daily since the reviews are so good, and I thank you for the some people kind enough to reviewed this center speaker and post it here. Thanks. Now I got this speaker from SEARS. ohhhhhh (that's right sears!!) Let's talk about this. Everyone in the world know that sears sucks for buying speakers or any electronics, but sears has the internet shop match price thing which really come in hany time to time. I mean if you want more info about internet match up price at sears look at my receiver review for YAMAHA HTR-5150. I saw this speaker at sears for 64.98. I checked it out at website for low as 68 bucks. So I went to sears and got this center speaker. One that I got was the last one at the store. HEHE. I got discount and I got it for 54.68 including tax!!! Amazing price. Now about the speaker itself. The speaker itself produce very amazing sound, very clear, and detailed sound. It is amazing for the price you get. If you are tight about the money for spending for the speakers. I would highly recommand you to buy this speaker but make sure you get the lowest internet shop pricing in case the speaker is more than 70 dollars. Do not buy this speakers if you pay more than 70 dollars. And I remind you SEARS SUCKS. IF YOU DO NOT USE THE MATCH UP PRICE METHODS.
Thanks!