Acoustic Research AR P428PS Floorstanding Speakers

4.35/5 (37 Reviews) MSRP : $1200.00

The four-way P428PS from AR is a floor standing tower speaker which utilizes a built-in, rear firing powered subwoofer for low frequency reproduction down to a rumbling 28Hz. The slim profile front houses a 1" polycarbonate tweeter, a 5" Uni-cone midrange, and a separate 8" woofer. The rear 8" subwoofer is powered by a 120 watt amplifier.

Submitted by Jfb2006 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2006

Bottom Line:
I purchased these in 2000 when J&R World had them on sale. The drastic mark down is what attracted me. (They are available online for even less now, and I may get a second pair.) At the time, I was looking for something to improve upon my Paradigm Phantoms, and when I hooked these up, they did just that. I think I agree with others that the midrange is not strong with these speakers, and the subs can sound boomy if not placed properly. Also, as others have noted, the powered subs respond down to 38 Hz, not 28, and this was a little disappointing at first. However, I have since noticed how smoothly the subs blend with the upper end, unlike my current sub/tower combination. Anyway, I found the high end of the P428s extremely pleasing because of the detail and the open, spacious soundstage they produce. A memorable moment occurred once when I put in Mahler's 5th Symphony (the legendary Barbarolli recording) with the volume setting a little too high. I had just left the room when the opening horn solo started. Before I could get back to the volume knob, the full orchestra had exploded with the introductory crescendo. The whole house rattled as every instrument in the orchestra seemed to appear for a second rightin from of me. It was the single grandest stereo moment of my life. The frequency response was absolutely flat even at that thundering volume level, with no attenuation of the signal, no distortion, and stunning clarity! These speakers pack a wallop, and they put my Paradigms to shame. However, as good as they sounded through my Yamaha receiver, when I hooked them up to my dad's old Pioneer 6500 integrated amp (at only 35wpc!), even more clarity came through and they responded very sensitively to that wattage. They produced the most satisfying sound I've yet heard from a stereo speaker there in my dad's basement where they still sit. I'll admit though that room placement is crucial. The rear-firing ports are finicky and can turn boomy if not placed with great care. My dad's cinder block basement seems to be the best place for them.

Purchased At:   J&R World

Submitted by John Gartley a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
I went into The Wiz one day & saw a pair of good-looking AR speakers the price was $500 a pair. I asked the salesperson if I could listen to them. When he turned them on I was blown away! Then I saw a pair of Bose speakers for $100 more.I asked to listen to them. When he turned them on, I thought man, the AR's are cheaper & sound better. So then I bought them and they were on clearence for $100.00 a pair!! I am so happy with these AR towers. Now my home theater sounds great with my Advent surround speakers, AR towers, Mitsubishi center channel, & Yamaha sub.

Purchased At:   The Wiz

Submitted by John Gartley a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2002

Purchased At:   The Wiz

Submitted by ron a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
ok-so these are not top of the line audiophile speakers....but look what you get for the money-you get lots of bass ,even if it doesnt give the quality bass your looking for - really nice highs-and the mids arent all that bad-REMEMBER THE PRICE-for very little money-you get two powered subs that really comes in handy if your building h/t on a small budget and a good overall sound--i have a couple of upper end systems at home,but i use these on my basement system-and they rock ....so if you are considering these for yourself and they are in the price range between 350 and 450...go for it...you wont be dissapointed -in my opinion,they are one of the better deals out there

Purchased At:   local store

Submitted by Allan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
Did you all know that AR has discontinued this speaker, as well as all of the other PS series. What you see no on their NEW & updated web site, www.acoustic-research.com, has a totally new PS series.

The PS428, PS216, PS226 and C225 are now discontinued. That explains the price break you saw in the past 12 months.

If you can still find the PS428's grab them now before they are LONG gone.

Maybe I should sell mine?

Purchased At:   J&R.com